"The Home Remote" dashboard app demo video

Kodi Chorus2 web GUI pages added today, with custom Home Remote control buttons overlaid on top.

Home - Goes to Home Page of the Home Remote app
Back Arrow - Browser Back
Power Button - Controls Harmony HTPC activity - PowerToggle
Vol Up / Down / Mute - TV or AVR Amplifier buttons via Harmony activity
Refresh - Refreshes the web page
Label - Ping Yes / No - WOLPingPlus plugin devices in Vera, for Kodi PCs.

The web browser panel is linked to the status of the WOLPlusPing plugin device in Vera. If the WOLPlusPing virtual switch for the Kodi PC is OFF then the web browser panel is hidden and a “Kodi is Off” banner is displayed.

The Ping Label is looking at this WOLPlusPing virtual switch and says NO if it can’t ping the Kodi PC.

Once the Power button is pressed to launch the Logitech Harmony HTPC activity the banner changes to say “Wait Power On”

It will remain in this state until the WOLPingPlus vitrual switch changes to ON.

Once the WOLPingPlus virtual switch changes to ON in Vera the web browser panel is then loaded and the Ping label switches to YES.

Portrait mode on my phone:

I may decide to upload all my Home Remote .xaml custom pages, tiles and detailed tiles pages and icons, at some point if enough people express interest. I am still building it out so not gonna promise anything just yet.

2 Likes

Discovered a Home Remote feature, Alexa voice assistant baked right in to the app, which I configured today.

Alexa now works within the Home Remote on Android, iOS and Windows apps, where I don’t even have the Alexa app from Amazon installed on them devices!

They don’t support Google Home voice assistant currently which is a shame.

Looking great!
You are investing a lot of time in this I imagine.

Sadly it doesn’t support openLuup or z-way.
That would have made it an excellent Imperihome replacement.

I dont know much about these.

Home Remote integrates with Vera via the login credentials of your Vera account and then by reading the values in the SDATA stream of the Vera hub.

http://VERA-IP:3480/data_request?id=sdata

That’s interesting.
Never looked any further at home remote, after noticing the logon box for the Vera credentials.
But if it uses the local link, maybe that would open up some possibilities.

Will look into it again to see if I can enter the openluup-ip. Let’s hope that works.

There’s been more talk about this today on this unrelated thread.

Seems it maybe possible to force the Home Remote to a local IP connection.

I’ve also emailed the dev for more information.

Another user just confirmed he managed to connect Home Remote to his OpenLuup instance.

Thanks for that information!
Will check that topic.

In the mean time, keep up the good work your doing on designing the interface in Home Remote.
Seems I can definitely learn from your work.

I’ll probably release a sample project with all my customized tile template files and icons at some point.

I still have a few glitches to work out yet.

Looking forward to your project share.
No rush on my account though. Have to much to do already :sweat_smile:

If Home Remote could do a local and remote URL you can make this work just as i did on ImperiHome with dataplicity (GitHub - reneboer/openLuup-ImperiHome: A simple LUA CGI file to make openLuup talk ImperiHome ISS). That would be the function to make me put in the effort to switch.

Cheers Rene

Rene

Bill the Home Remote developer says he will improve the “Vera” connection. In the next release he said we should be able to specify a username and password for the Vera cloud account or just specify a local IP address, at initial connection configuration.

However one user has already confirmed he was able to connect Home Remote to OpenLuup and it imported his devices.

By first entering a Vera username and password to initially create the Vera connection object, in the Home Remote designer application.

And then by editing the Vera connection object and removing the username and password and entering a local IP address instead in to the Hostname field, for the OpenLuup instance.

2 Likes

Hi @cw-kid,

If it would be possible to have a URL with basic authentication that would be nice. For example make an openLuupController type and have an local IP and remote URL with basic authentication and have the rest work just as a Vera it would work. Can you pass this to Bill?

I am willing to test this out for him.

Cheers Rene

I’ve passed on your request to Bill.

The next 3.14.0 release is going to include a new EnableCloudAccess setting. This will be the new way to bypass the Vera cloud servers entirely. Both during normal runtime & when initially adding the controller to the Home Remote.

Additionally, when this unchecked, if a Username & Password is provided, those will be used to generate a Basic authentication header for the requests.

5 Likes

@cw-kid Heavily inspired by how you use The Home Remote to replace Imperihome I also started . Getting all devices of my Vera controllers and Fibaro Homecenter in was easy. Also building up Groups and subgroups with all the devices was not that difficult. Now I started to tweak and adapt layoutt, colours and labels. This is more difficult but your examples helped a lot. Thanks for that!!
One of the questions I have is about the motion sensors. You added the last trip and changed lay out or the tiles and also the colour (red when the motion sensor is tripped. Dit you just adapt the standerd templates MotionSensorTile.xaml and MotionSensorDetails.xaml or did you copy and saved with a different name. I now have made some adjustments to the standard templates but I wonder what happens when updates are installed ?

I copied the existing templates and created new ones based on them.

See attached for the motion .xaml files.

Motion.zip (2.6 KB)

You can also add an “armed” attribute to arm / disarm the sensors in Vera:

1 Like

Thanks !!
How do I add these xaml files to my Home Remote ?

I would first create a new folder under the Templates folder in the designer, to keep your modified .xaml files separate from the default template files.

Just right click and copy the two .xaml files from your desktop or where ever and then right click your new folder in the designer and select paste.

1 Like

If you want all the icons I created you can download them from this post on the Home Remote forum.

1 Like