Ezlo - WiFi device generator plugin is on the Market place

Hello everyone,

Today we released the first version of the WiFi device generator plugin for Ezlo controllers. You can create a WiFi device template that you can you to integrate your smart WiFi devices. With this first version of the plugin, you can integrate WiFi devices that have a switch or dimmer capabilities. You can find a short video guide on how to use this plugin below. We’d appreciate your feedback on this completely new plugin and share your thoughts.

VIDEO GUIDE

1 Like

We are hoping this Generic Wifi Plugin will make integration of any Wifi device easy.
You can also share the templates you generate for a wifi device so that others can take the template and add some device specific info like IP etc and start using it.

These devices will then show up both on our MeshBots as well as on the Dashboard.

Here you can find steps how to install WiFi device generator plugin
Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Result

2 Likes

Great work here guys !

I just tested this WIFI device plugin with both a local device controlled via Node-Red and also with a cloud device controlled by IFTTT Web Hooks.

I was able to create two virtual switch devices via the WIFI plugin, that then appeared in my Ezlo dynamic dashboard and I was then able to control the ON / OFF state of the real devices.

I expect this WIFI device plugin to become a very handy feature and it will make it easier for users to create virtual devices that send out HTTP commands to control real WIFI devices.

Previously on Vera hubs to do this, we had to either use a 3rd party plugin for virtual switches or manually create our own virtual devices on the controller and then use a 3rd party logic engine rule to send out the http commands based on that virtual devices trigger state etc.

3 Likes

Is this meant to control ESP8266 WIFI devices that normally work with the TUYA or SmartLife apps?

Any Wifi based devices…from basic Wifi Switches like ESP based wifi devices to your Yamaha Amplifier which allows controls using http…

It’s local or publicly opened HTTP API.

So unless those devices have direct access for http command control then no.

Tuya Smart life is cloud and and the Ezlo devs would need to add integration for their cloud API with authentication.

You can flash some devices with 3rd party firmware for local control however.

The video guide offered in the first post is no longer there. I’m sure I could install this plugin but I’m not sure how to take advantage of it. I was hoping the video would help. There is also a mention of using this as a template which implies accessing the plugin files. I’m currently trying to get softhub and running and have no experience with docker. I assume I could use this plugin as a template on softhub but don’t know where to start.

I can ask @osman to upload that video again to YouTube. Not sure why its now missing.

I wrote this post recently about the IP Device Generator plugin and the concept of templates, which might give you some insight.

The Softhub acts like any other Ezlo controller and the plugins from the marketplace should be able to be used.

Also see this post, where I give an example of using the Wifi Device Generator plugin with IFTTT web hooks.

Logged in to Mios. Added the IP integration to my private plugins. Tried to install and got an error notification. Is the download supposed to work? It downloads a tar.gz file but it’s empty.

It should work, it was last time I installed it.

@osman please can you check the IP Device Generator plugin download / install is working?

Thanks.

The devs have replicated the issue and are looking into it.

I uploaded the video again to our youtube channel How to use Wifi/IP Device Generator Plugin in Ezlo EZLogic - Smart Home Automation - YouTube

Maybe try it again now.

I just downloaded it ezlo.wifi_device_generator.tar.gz and it was 7kb in file size.

No joy. Tried downloading again and again it is zero bytes. Deleted from my Private Plugins and then copied from the marketplace. Downloaded again and still empty.
Also tried with a different plugin - MQTT - same result - a zero byte download. I’m doing this on my Windows PC. I don’t have an Ezlo hub nor do I have Softhub running on this PC. Is that the problem?

Running into the same issue. Can download existing ones in my private plugins but cannot “install” or “upload” new ones.

Yep, I can go to marketplace and copy the IP Device Generator Plugin to my Ezlo. But, when I return to my Plugins and try to Manage Installation for IP Device Generator, I just get errors: “An error occurred while installing”.

Also, if I click on Download, I just get a blank screen.

Hello @Dan-n-Randy ,

We’ve replicated and escalated the issue for further review.
Thank you for the report.

Regards.

Would someone be willing to create a tutorial for how to do this for a very simple WiFi light switch? Just an on/off controlled one (no dimming). It seems WiFi devices are far more price competitive than ZWave. I’d like to add a wifi one to my system just for an A vs B test with ZWave.