Wifi Bridge Issues

As delivered, the MiLight WiFi Bridge is an Access Point with its own SSID. You can set up the bridge as a client on an existing network as follows:

Connect a PC to the default SSID (wifi-socket), address the built-in server through your browser (192.168.1.100) and login as admin password 000000. Change the following settings:

Work Type: Set to Sta
SSID: Set to your existing network SSID
Encryption: Set to existing network encryption mode
Key Format: Set as required for your key
Encryption Key: Set to your pre-shared key
Click Save for this block.
DHCP Enable: Set unchecked
Fixed IP Address: Set as required
Subnet Mask: Set as required
Gateway Address: Set as required
DNS Address: Set as required - often the same as the Gateway
Click Save for this block.
Cycle the power (or click System, System Restart) and you should be able to rejoin your normal network and connect to the bridge through its new IP address. If it doesn’t work, press the reset button with a paperclip for five seconds and try again from the top.

Update
The instructions above are for the version 2 (V2) MiLight Wifi Bridge. More-recent versions require different settings. See Wifi Bridge Setup for more details. This documentation refers to a Windows tool provided by Hamish at LimitlessLED which allows the settings of a V4.0 Bridge to be changed. See V4.0 Bridge Tool.

Edit: 04/04/2015 09:06 Added information on V4.0 Bridge Tool

Dear friends,

I need your help to control MiLight/Easybulb/LimitlessLED with my Zipabox Z-wave. Sorry in advance for my bad english.
I have one RGB and 1 white bulb. The wifibox used my home network and works well with the original Android App.

I would like to control it with the UDP socket option on my Zipabox (you should find introduction of this box on Youtube).

As you seen on the picture, I have configure socket request like this :

Type : UDP
Host : 192.168.1.240 (like in your example)
Port : 50000 (like in your example)
Source Port : 50000 (I don’t know what I have to write, and I must write something otherwise the rule isn’t functional…)
Retries : 50 (Ok ?)
Corps : 0x22,0x00,0x55 (Like in your example for an RGB lamp On)

And I have created a rule "when I put the switch “lamp” On, send this UDP socket.
But it does not work…
Thank you for your help.

Maybe you should be asking this question on the Zipabox forum? :wink:

Is your WiFi Bridge set to IP address 192.168.1.240 and on the same network as your Zipabox? In factory condition, the WiFi Bridge runs its own access-point and has the address 192.168.1.100. See: [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14471.msg109360.html#msg109360]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14471.msg109360.html#msg109360[/url]

You should set the WiFi Bridge IP address to fit with your existing system addresses.

I have posted on Zipabox forum but with no answer. It is a new product with a little community for the moment and I think nobody has these bulbs to try.

Bulbs and Zipabox are in the same network.

Is my WiFi Bridge set to IP address 192.168.1.254 (gateway adress) ?

Use 192.168.1.100 (same as Fixed IP Address) like in your screenshot.

Source port can be any number 1024 to 65535.

But…

What is going to ruin your day is the need to send arbitrary bytes to a UDP destination. As you’ve already discussed here that isn’t supported by the Zipabox firmware yet. There isn’t a workaround for this. Until you can convince the Zipabox people to enable binary sending you are probably out of luck.

(Hi, welcome to the Micasaverde forum. We know how to google. We see that you’ve already had a bit of feedback about these bulbs and you already got your answer over there on domoticaforum.)

I am not sure that Zipabox can’t send arbitrary bytes to a UDP destination so that’s why I would try every solution.

Just received my bulbs from Limitless and I ordered two WiFi gateways but they seemed to have shipped later versions branded ‘Mi-Light’. The plugin doesn’t seem to be working at all with either the colour or white bulbs but the new iOS app does.

Inside the box it’s a single PCB with a directly soldered metal cased WiFi module with an onboard WiFi antenna I assume using the PCB tracks or a ‘chip’ - there’s nothing at all plugged into the tiny surface mount antenna connector - quite different to the other pictures posted here.

When you initially connect to the ‘milight’ SSID you are allocated by DHCP an IP of 10.10.100.101 and the webserver for the device now appears to be on 10.10.100.254. The user password seems to be admin / admin however this page is just a firmware update page in Chinese - you can get the English version by accessing http://10.10.100.254/EN/management.html. There’s no IP configuration page that I can deduce by trying ‘configuration’, ‘system’ , ‘setup’ or ‘administration’ .html , although I assume there must be one as a way to assign a static IP somewhere… although it acquires an approriate IP address istelf by DHCP when connecting to your router. Bottom line is I’m not absolutely sure which port this is listening on , i.e. if it still 50000… and UDP

Interestingly the older ‘LimitlessLED’ iOS app doesn’t work with this WiFi gateway but the newer ‘milight’ one does so I’ll have to have a look with Wireshark at how the iPad is now sending commands to the gateway. This in itself would indicate something has changed.

I assume everyone here has the other version of the gateway .

LimitlessLED… I wonder if have you any additional info that might help ?

Kevin

That is definitely not the same WiFi module that was used on the first bridges - which was a TLG10UA03. The module on yours looks similar to USR-WIFI232-C but that would normally provide full configuration options on the web page. It may be a variant or copy with custom firmware. Does the web-server page give a clue to the manufacturer and/or model number?

It is surprising that the web-server doesn’t offer configuration options. Without that, it will be difficult to integrate the bridge into existing networks.

There's no IP configuration page that I can deduce by trying 'configuration', 'system' , 'setup' or 'administration' .html , although I assume there must be one as a way to assign a static IP somewhere...
Try connecting to the bridge using Telnet, Kevin. Some WiFi modules support this and accept AT+ commands for configuration. You may even be able to enable the full web-page functionality - the reduced one is a configuration option on some modules.

In your wifi router, you can set the wifi bridge’s MAC address to a fixed IP address.

-Hamish.

how do we know its a V3.0 or a other version of the WiFi Bridge ?
is there any indication on it … or does the web interface state anything in this direction ?

how do we know its a V3.0 or a other version of the WiFi Bridge ? is there any indication on it .. or does the web interface state anything in this direction ?
I don't have a V3 bridge but I understand that the web server interface does not have any configuration options on it. The previous version allows full configuration when you connect to its IP address and log-in.

My old unit has a label showing User (admin), Password (000000), Default IP (192.168.1.100) and Port (50000).

yeah the limitless website shows exactly the same image for the “V3” … so it may look the same or they just use the same image.
thats why i was asking

[quote=“RexBeckett, post:12, topic:185697”]

how do we know its a V3.0 or a other version of the WiFi Bridge ?
is there any indication on it … or does the web interface state anything in this direction ?

I don’t have a V3 bridge but I understand that the web server interface does not have any configuration options on it. The previous version allows full configuration when you connect to its IP address and log-in.

My old unit has a label showing User (admin), Password (000000), Default IP (192.168.1.100) and Port (50000).[/quote]

Hi Rex -

Do you happen to know how to setup STA on v3 wifi box. The milight app is broken on iOS7! I can confirm there is no config page on 192.168.1.100

I just received an RGBW lamp and V3 bridge. I found a few bugs in MiLightRGBW - the API isn’t quite correct. I’ve fixed most of them so I’ll upload a new version tomorrow.

Do you happen to know how to setup STA on v3 wifi box. The milight app is broken on iOS7! I can confirm there is no config page on 192.168.1.100
I tried to find a way in but they've deliberately removed the configuration options. It must be possible but it will take time to figure out which port they are using and what commands have to be sent. I gave in and used the Android app. BTW: I had to restore the bridge to factory-defaults (paper-clip through hole) before Android could see it. I also had to reboot it a couple of times before the app could find my home network. It just hung... I'm not sure this is very granny-friendly and they've made it more difficult for non-grannies. Is this progress? ::)

Do you think it would be possible to grab the firmware off the wifi bridge V2 and upload to the v3?

You can access an extremely slim config panel on 10.10.100.254 but I’m sure you already knew this!

Let me know if you find out how to send STA configurations via UDP :slight_smile:

Thnks,
Mark

Do you think it would be possible to grab the firmware off the wifi bridge V2 and upload to the v3?
Even if you could it wouldn't help you. The two Wifi modules are totally different.
Let me know if you find out how to send STA configurations via UDP :)
I shall investigate this further but I haven't figured-out how to [i]Wireshark[/i] a Wifi link. Meanwhile, why not borrow an Android device and use the app to get it connected to your network?

Borrowing an Android device is definitely the way to go!

I have a strange issue with the RGBW plugin (both versions) although it could be something else entirely. After about 2 minutes of no activity with the RGBW lamp being left on at 100% white it turns itself off. The UI as expected still shows ON 100%… and clicking ON turns the bulb on again. Happens fairly consistently and it’s definitely originating from the the WiFi gateway as removing power to that enables the bulb to stay on.

Anyone else seen this ? Maybe it’s some residual interaction from another / previous version of the plugin I need to remove.

K

I have been seeing this happen. I’m trying to track down whether its the bridge or my code that’s causing it. I’ll let you know what I find.

Edit: I don’t think it is the plugin. It still happens even with the plugin’s IP address set elsewhere. I’ve disconnected possible sources of interference and even put my Nexus 7 into Airplane mode. It wasn’t happening yesterday…

I suspect the bridge. I think there is some problem with its roaming control feature. Now we just have to figure out how to turn it off without access to the configuration page.

Edit: It seems to have stopped happening. I left the bridge unplugged for about an hour and the lamp stayed on. Now the bridge is back on and the lamp is still on. I’ve reconnected everything and re-enabled the plugin and the lamp is still on…

If it happens again, I plan to firewall the bridge so it can’t get any internet access to see if that fixes it.