Wifi Bridge Issues

My lamp was consistently turning itself off so I switched it back on and then removed the wired LAN connection to the access point that the V3 bridge was connecting to and the lamp then stayed lit . So I reconnected the LAN to the access point… and it still stayed lit… strange.

Next time it happens I’m going to disconnect the wired LAN connections on the Vera just to eliminate that entirely…

for V3 web login is different from V2:

milight IP/home.html

PS: since the device will use DHCP to get the IP, you have to look for the device IP named “Link_Wi-Fi” from your DHCP table of your router.

After login, you can then change the mode settings, IP and port settings… etc.

I decided to use back the “wifi controller” to remote control the device because the app “Milight” always not work when out of home.

My lamp was consistently turning itself off so I switched it back on and then removed the wired LAN connection to the access point that the V3 bridge was connecting to and the lamp then stayed lit . So I reconnected the LAN to the access point… and it still stayed lit… strange.

Next time it happens I’m going to disconnect the wired LAN connections on the Vera just to eliminate that entirely…[/quote]
Mine started turning off again this evening. I have now set my router to block the V3 bridge from internet access and the lamp is staying on.

I really don’t like the idea that the bridge is accessing something I don’t know without my permission so I plan to leave the firewall block in place.

Hamish, what’s going on here? Is there some website that is trying to control my lamps? Do I have any control over whatever rules it is using?

I suppose @LimitlessLED has more interest in the Granny-with-an-iPhone market than the Hacker-with-a-Vera one. I wonder how Granny is getting on with lamps that turn themselves off when it gets dark. ::slight_smile:

I’ve pinged my local supplier (easybulb) to see if they have any suggestions about disabling the phantom energy-saving feature.

Nobody from LimitlessLED or easybulb has proffered any solutions to the phantom lights-off gremlin. Thanks to @rickysuper, though, I can now configure the V3 bridge properly by connecting to /Home.html where is that granted by the router’s DHCP server.

On the STA Interface Setting tab, I set WAN Connection Type to Static, set IP Address and Subnet Mask to my preferred values and set Default Gateway to an unused IP address. After clicking Apply and restarting the bridge by power-cycling, it comes back up on the network at the desired address.

As it is now trying to connect to the internet through a non-existent gateway, I have removed the firewall block and my lamp is staying on. 8)

i figured this out a few days ago … BUT there is no restart/save button on the Device page all settings i do are not saved
is this Browser related (maybe) ?

never mind … was a entirely different problem.
the mac address was wrong … works fine now.

[quote=“RexBeckett, post:25, topic:185697”]Nobody from LimitlessLED or easybulb has proffered any solutions to the phantom lights-off gremlin. Thanks to @rickysuper, though, I can now configure the V3 bridge properly by connecting to /Home.html where is that granted by the router’s DHCP server.

On the STA Interface Setting tab, I set WAN Connection Type to Static, set IP Address and Subnet Mask to my preferred values and set Default Gateway to an unused IP address. After clicking Apply and restarting the bridge by power-cycling, it comes back up on the network at the desired address.

As it is now trying to connect to the internet through a non-existent gateway, I have removed the firewall block and my lamp is staying on. 8)[/quote]

FYI: Default Gateway should enter your router’s LAN ip address.

i figured this out a few days ago … BUT there is no restart/save button on the Device page all settings i do are not saved
is this Browser related (maybe) ?[/quote]

Switch off and on the bridge will save the settings.

FYI: Default Gateway should enter your router's LAN ip address.

The problem is that the Light would go off by it self if the bridge connects to the internet … That’s why he specifically change the default gateway to a non existent IP address. Previously he setup his router to block the bridge from accessing the internet … so this bridge is trying to phone home … and some how turning itself off based on some remote activity or inactivity.

That in itself scares me!

That in itself scares me!
Me too. That's why it is now pointing at a non-existent gateway. ;D I plan to check all new devices that have IP connectivity to see if they are up to the same trick. It would not have been so bad if I my permission had been sought!

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:30, topic:185697”]

FYI: Default Gateway should enter your router’s LAN ip address.

The problem is that the Light would go off by it self if the bridge connects to the internet … That’s why he specifically change the default gateway to a non existent IP address. Previously he setup his router to block the bridge from accessing the internet … so this bridge is trying to phone home … and some how turning itself off based on some remote activity or inactivity.

That in itself scares me![/quote]
agree, there is also no reason whatsoever for a device like this “talking anywhere outside the network”

i played with this too … i usally have blank gateways but the bridge does not like this …
so i set the gateway to the Network-start-ip (172.16.67.0 in my case) … 127.0.0.1 works fine too (less broadcast traffic) :slight_smile:

Anyone hook it up to wireshark to see what it is doing?

• Garrett

[quote=“garrettwp, post:33, topic:185697”]Anyone hook it up to wireshark to see what it is doing?

• Garrett[/quote]
    I don’t have the necessary hardware to capture Wifi packets promiscuously.

i set the default gateway back to my router and enabled network sniffer send to whireshark on my Computer
its sniffing arround over night now …
strangely there was no unusual traffic captured.

all it did was ping/pong all night. (no call to its Chinese “home”) :wink:
i have only 1 White Bulb paired on Channel 1 at this bridge for testing. maybe thats the problem ?

Hi RexBeckett, great job with Milight!
Have you expectative to update the MiLightWU1 to new V3 bridge?
Rgds
Luis

current version works fine on both versions.

Hi,
The current plugin MiLightWU1 work with V3 Bridge?

[quote=“luissalvador, post:38, topic:185697”]Hi,
The current plugin MiLightWU1 work with V3 Bridge?[/quote]
It should do. You need to fix the IP address of the bridge. You can usually do this in your router. Then set this address as IPaddr on the plugin Advanced tab and also set IPport to 8899. Restart and refresh your browser and it should all work.

Yes, I make this.
Pls, See attached picture.