Virtual Switches in Ezlo, yes you can

As an FYI, you can also create other types of virtual devices apart from switches. Just replace ‘plug_interior’ in the code with any of the ‘Supported device types’ listed on this page - https://developer.mios.com/api/hub/plugins/test-plugins/public-scripts/scripts-generate_devices/

1 Like

would you please give me a screenshot of how you would see this on the UI…(I want to make sure we understand exactly)…

Yes I saw that is the listing. I can’t quite wrap my head around what a virtual dimmer switch is or a virtual door lock. I use the virtual switch (on/off) basically as a boolean true false memory storage point. I couldn’t figure out how to do this with Global variables. So its probably overkill to use a device for binary storage but it allows you to trigger off of it, set or reset it in an action, or set or reset it via the iPhone interface. So it is quite helpful.

Sure,

When you are in the device screen and press the + button in the top right it pulls us the screen below. If you could just add one additional category. Add a virtual on/off switch. That’s it. Basically it does the same as when do when you paste in the code to the command interface today (on your house modes example page) to create the virtual switch.

Then the user can go rename the switch to something of their liking and use it in triggers and actions to their hearts content.

1 Like

And in Ezlogic something like this?

2 Likes

Theres been a how to guide on the forum for years

1 Like

Something like that for adding “Standard” virtual devices, via the web UI, has been a feature request for some time now.

1 Like

I am one who would certainly use a virtual switch - if it were available from a drop down menu as suggested. I have to believe there are many users like me who use devices and scenarios but can’t or don’t want to get into the coding. As soon as I see a suggestion like “just cut and paste this code…” I bail out. Having tried other fixes and functionalities requiring this method, I can say that without fail it has resulted in some mess I can’t undo. No more of that. Just give me a button or drop down.

have you tried the new “Virtual Container” concept we have…?

Its all based on clicks…the process is like a wizard with no code…

I created all this by simply clicking…

Nope. I don’t have a clue where that can be found. Doesn’t look anything like my menu list.

here…its the new web interface we have for Ezlo.

I appreciate that you’re trying to help me, but I really don’t know what to do with the info provided. New web interface? Didn’t know there was an old one. I use my Ezlo Secure via app because I was told that’s the only way to talk to it. Anyway, I tried clicking on your link, tried “new account”, and got some prefilled boxes that didn’t allow me to do anything. Pretty much like my Ezlo.

Hi @Tom1951 ,

You would need to access it with the same credentials you use on the app:

Find more about Ezlogic:

https://help.mios.com/docs/automation/

Regards.

Ezlogic.mios.com is a web interface to your Ezlo device as an alternative to using a tiny cell phone. I recommend using it as it is a much easier way to edit scenes than the smart phone plus you get more capabilities.

If you know what a virtual switch is and have used them then by default you’re beyond a beginner. I agree pasting code to create a virtual switch is cumbersome but right now it’s either that or no virtual switch. The instructions earlier on in this thread are pretty foolproof and once the vzw itch is created you can name it whatever you like and trigger off of it in your scenes…

OK, now I’ve entered this ezlogic.mios website. Although I do consider myself beyond “beginner” as I have struggled with Vera and now Ezlo for more than 5 years, I doubt I could define virtual switch. Regardless, as I look at this site I don’t see anything that I know how to use. Even when I go to the Device tab, there seems nothing helpful in regards to controlling the devices. No where do I see anything about scenes. Yes, the view I have is larger but how does that help me? I’m just an old guy (70+) trying to control lights and doors. My Vera Plus did that just fine then Vera scared me into switching to Ezlo by saying Vera was no longer supported. Since then it’s been a battle to do even basic things reliably. So far all feedback from you guys seems directed at a programmer. It’s not helping.

1 Like

Virtual Container is not the same thing as a traditional “standard” virtual device.

Virtual Container appears you have to select some properties of an existing real device(s).

The only way to create standard virtual devices is via the Online API Tool and SSH command to install the virtual device plugin in the first instance.

@melih maybe the devs can add the plugin into the marketplace for easier initial installation?

And as we have already discussed before on the forum, it would be nice to have an area in the web GUI for creating these standard virtual devices, rather than issuing code commands to the Online API Tool site.

And maybe someone from Ezlo support can connect to his hub and create the virtual devices he needs for him, as he is struggling.

In the new Ezlo web user interface under Settings → Devices you cannot control your devices from this area, instead go to the Dashboard menu item.

Scenes are now called “Meshbots” go to that menu item you can create a new “local” rule (scene).

That is not true. The older Vera hubs are still being supported by the new Ezlo company.

They are just no longer being actively developed and improved in anyway. But still continue to work and function as they always did.

And the new Ezlo line of hubs will replace them eventually.

However I still run my old Vera Plus as my main controller for my house.

That’s not quite accurate.

You do need a plugin but its a plugin that Ezlo created themselves.

The help page you linked too mentions you have to run these two commands via SSH terminal, to install the plugin.

opkg update
opkg install firmware-plugins-test_plugin

Once you have done that, you then have to use the Online API tool to run further code commands, to create the virtual devices that you require.

So its not quite native out of the box experience and the lack of a web UI area for it, also makes it somewhat difficult for some people, as we are now reading about here.

Tom if you have a Windows PC and install Putty client we can talk you through how to install the required plugin and how to then create the virtual devices you want to add.

You will also need to know what IP address your Ezlo hub has from your router.

Let us help you by showing you exactly what you have to do.
First please tell us one by one what exactly you want to automate and the rules you want.
We will then show you step by step how to create these.