PowerMaster models

By default the NEXT PG2 does not report activity during disarm (see manual). If you set ‘DISARM Activity’ to ‘YES - no delay’, it should. Unfortunately the MC302 PG2 does not have such an option, so you will not be able to get door/window sensor updates during disarm.

I’ve read the thread with keen interest as I’m looking to hook up my powermaster 10 with a Vera lite. I’m still a bit unsure as to which cable combination gets the job done best, and to which pins i connect it.

What should be on my shopping list?

Normally the Visonic dual RS232 connection kit and an FTDI RS232 to USB converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

But will the dual RS232 connect to the Powermaster 10? It doesn’t have the same pins as the powermaster 30 shown earlier in this thread. I have the V13, from what I gather from Visonics homepage the V15 will have powerlink option, but it’s very unclear. I attach a picture of my board.

Has anyone succeeded in connecting to the powermaster 10, or has your work been with the powermaster 30? I hope I’m not stuck with version that is already obsolete.

i have recieved the following advice from Visonic when i enquired about the RS-232 connector and they say:

“the connector on the board is labelled PRJBBA. To be able to connect to this you will require a USB programmer 90-204-374 (Visonic part code).”

Any input on this? i think i will order one, and see what information i can get out of it. Hopfully it works.
i do note that The PRJBBA is 10 pin, and the RS-232 is 20 pin.

I’m expecting the 10-pin connection to be the same as the one called PC/IP on a PowerMax Pro. The needed pins are described here. If so, all you need is a TTL->USB or TTL->Ethernet.

I haven’t ordered the PowerMaster yet as I’ve been waiting for the new PowerLink 3 to come into stock.

Now I’m starting to think that maybe I should order one of the older models to have full support in Vera. Though it probably would bug me a bit to not buy the latest technology when spending a lot of money on an alarm system.

What’s your thoughts on this? Would I be better off with an older model?

If you want the use the alarm system purely as alarm system and nothing else then you are best of with the PowerMaster models.

If you want to use the alarm systems -and particularly the sensors- for other purposes as well, then your are better of with a PowerMax model.

Yea, I’m leaning towards going “old school”. :slight_smile: As I’m right in the middle of automating my home it would feel good to be able to make use of the “extra” sensors I would get with an alarm.

How about the camera PIRs for the PowerMax models. Any chance to be able to use Vera to see the video feed/s?

The PowerMax doesn’t have camera PIRs that I am aware of (the PowerMaster does). But if you go the Vera way, why would you need a Visonic camera? You can use any network camera in that case.

You’re absolutely right. I just saw “cameras” under PowerCode accessories and didn’t realize they were not PIRs.

I would prefer to have all-in-one, both for practical and esthetic reasons. Also network cameras are depending on that the power is not cut. For integrity I would like to have indoor cameras active only when an alarm has been triggered.

I have understood that the PG2 door/window sensor is not reporting when disarmed but I have read different things about the PIRs. If they can be used with Vera that would be really great.

From what I gather, the power link 3 will require a later version of the power master 10. Is it likely that the Vera plugin will support the powerlink? The option of connecting the alarm to the broadband router is appealing.

It seems that the support for the powermaster 30 has come along quite a bit. Since I haven’t seen a convincing way to interface against my PM10, I’m considering passing it on to my father and get a PM 10. Reading the PIRs is a must, especially the ones that I have in the garden. Any intruder is going to get quite the surprise.

I’ve bought d-link cameras, and orderd mini battery backups on Ali Express. When it’s upp and running, hopefully the system will be completely batter backed upp, including the garden floodlights.

[quote=“Freddan101, post:51, topic:174577”]You’re absolutely right. I just saw “cameras” under PowerCode accessories and didn’t realize they were not PIRs.

I would prefer to have all-in-one, both for practical and esthetic reasons. Also network cameras are depending on that the power is not cut. For integrity I would like to have indoor cameras active only when an alarm has been triggered.

I have understood that the PG2 door/window sensor is not reporting when disarmed but I have read different things about the PIRs. If they can be used with Vera that would be really great.[/quote]

It is the other way around, door/window sensors sends status Instant in all modes. Pir`s only sends to micasaverde when armed. But Alex on domotica has status updates ca, once a minute now.

[quote=“tek, post:53, topic:174577”][quote=“Freddan101, post:51, topic:174577”]You’re absolutely right. I just saw “cameras” under PowerCode accessories and didn’t realize they were not PIRs.

I have understood that the PG2 door/window sensor is not reporting when disarmed but I have read different things about the PIRs. If they can be used with Vera that would be really great.[/quote]

It is the other way around, door/window sensors sends status Instant in all modes. Pir`s only sends to micasaverde when armed. But Alex on domotica has status updates ca, once a minute now.[/quote]
Sounds like this is being worked on which is promising.

What do you mean by status updates once a minute? From the PIRs?

[quote=“Freddan101, post:54, topic:174577”][quote=“tek, post:53, topic:174577”][quote=“Freddan101, post:51, topic:174577”]You’re absolutely right. I just saw “cameras” under PowerCode accessories and didn’t realize they were not PIRs.

It is the other way around, door/window sensors sends status Instant in all modes. Pir`s only sends to micasaverde when armed. But Alex on domotica has status updates ca, once a minute now.[/quote]

What do you mean by status updates once a minute? From the PIRs?[/quote]

the PIR (r?relsesdetektor`n) sends updates once a minutes to Alex on motions detected. so it is not Instant ant not very useful for turning a light on as it is unless you would like to take a Dance in the room while waiting for it to turn on :slight_smile:

[quote=“tek, post:55, topic:174577”][quote=“Freddan101, post:54, topic:174577”][quote=“tek, post:53, topic:174577”][quote=“Freddan101, post:51, topic:174577”]You’re absolutely right. I just saw “cameras” under PowerCode accessories and didn’t realize they were not PIRs.

the PIR (r?relsesdetektor`n) sends updates once a minutes to Alex on motions detected. so it is not Instant ant not very useful for turning a light on as it is unless you would like to take a Dance in the room while waiting for it to turn on :)[/quote]
:smiley:

Sure the missus don’t mind a spontaneous dance but guess she would be suspicious the 10th time or so… :wink:

Anyways, it feels good this issue is being worked on. Can you please post the link to the discussion at Domotica?

[quote=“Freddan101, post:56, topic:174577”][quote=“tek, post:55, topic:174577”][quote=“Freddan101, post:54, topic:174577”][quote=“tek, post:53, topic:174577”][quote=“Freddan101, post:51, topic:174577”]You’re absolutely right. I just saw “cameras” under PowerCode accessories and didn’t realize they were not PIRs.

the PIR (r?relsesdetektor`n) sends updates once a minutes to Alex on motions detected. so it is not Instant ant not very useful for turning a light on as it is unless you would like to take a Dance in the room while waiting for it to turn on :)[/quote]

Sure the missus don’t mind a spontaneous dance but guess she would be suspicious the 10th time or so… :wink:

Anyways, it feels good this issue is being worked on. Can you please post the link to the discussion at Domotica?[/quote]

Just make sure you install a Dance pole in each roomt first! win-win-situation… a happy wife is a happy life…

Regarding the domotica, everything is located at Visonic Alarm systems - Home Automation Domotica Forum Europe, Bwired Forum - here you can also find detailed protocol description.

[quote=“tek, post:57, topic:174577”][quote=“Freddan101, post:56, topic:174577”][quote=“tek, post:55, topic:174577”][quote=“Freddan101, post:54, topic:174577”][quote=“tek, post:53, topic:174577”][quote=“Freddan101, post:51, topic:174577”]You’re absolutely right. I just saw “cameras” under PowerCode accessories and didn’t realize they were not PIRs.

Anyways, it feels good this issue is being worked on. Can you please post the link to the discussion at Domotica?[/quote]

Just make sure you install a Dance pole in each roomt first! win-win-situation… a happy wife is a happy life…

Regarding the domotica, everything is located at Visonic Alarm systems - Home Automation Domotica Forum Europe, Bwired Forum - here you can also find detailed protocol description.[/quote]
Dance poles… Hehe… 8)

I will head over to Domotica and start reading. What is you opinion, could the PIR issue be solved?

to be honest, i am not sure yet…

Alex has come further, and powelink3 i to be released this year but aparently without internal webserver as we had With pl2.
when talking to suplier, and Reading information from distributors webpage we should be able to use mobile Phones and similar to Connect to the “Central monitoring station” (as you get an account for free from klab.se when buying a unit) to watch on
demand.

And as long as you are able to use Central Monitoring Station to do this, it is all about code - and we could in theory do the same With micasaverde if we are able to reverse the entire protocol.
I prefer to stay optimistic. (but that is just the way i am to almost everything :slight_smile: )

As mentioned from nlrb, if you prefer to have a system that you can use for 100% With you home automation, go for powermax.
But the price difference from a fibaro sensor to a Visonic sensors is not that huge anymore… so i do not know what you will gain except using only on PIR (for the estetic`s)

In my case, i prefered to have 2 seperate systems… As it is now, I am able to disarm/arm and use door sensors from powermaster, and (maby PIR`s in the future) and see this as a bonus.
And the Places you absolutely need a motion detector to turn on lights and events, you can use the NEXA motion detectors that will fit into the regular Scandinavian wall frames and keep some of the estetic.

Wise thoughts. I lean towards Powermaster as I would like the new LCD keypad and the ability to use proxy tags. Also, it’s always nice to buy the latest techonolgy when you have the chance.

It’s very good news that you are able to use the Powermaster door/window sensors with Vera. As you say, one can always double the PIRs where needed. I have the RFXtrx so Nexa sensors could def work. Or I go with a Z-wave multi sensor to also get the light level.

I have touched the thought of using Vera also as alarm system but I’m not sure how to easily and safely arm/disarm using Vera if not programming something complex myself. Probably better off having two different systems and connect them, though higher price tag.