[Plugin]DarkSky Weather

Is there any way to have a native child device for dewpoint? I don’t see that as an option on the create child device list.

Ty for this great app

Hi @resq93,

Added in V1.8. Should be in Mios App market Monday. On ALTUI App Store now.

This version also works again on the Vera 3 and Lite.

Cheers Rene

2 Likes

reneboer

I was looking into a problem I was having elsewhere but came across this at line 629 in the plugin:

res, err = json.decode(res)
		if not (err == 225) then
			extractloop(res)
			-- Update display for ALTUI
			displayLine(1)
			displayLine(2)
		else 
			log.Error("DarkSky API json decode error = %s", tostring(err)) 
		end

According to the dkjson info, if an error occurs, then in the above ‘res’ will be nil, ‘err’ will be the position where the error occurred and there is also a third variable that contains the error message. So not to sure what the test for ‘225’ is about. Looks like the code needs a couple of corrections? eg just test for a nil object?

reneboer

Thank you for your efforts on this plugin.

I now have it functioning but came across another query. In function HttpsGet() at line 450:

if (utils.GetUI() ~= utils.IsOpenLuup) and (not luup.model) then

It looks like luup.model should be luup.modelID as per:

modelID information

I tried both properties on a Vera 3 using firmware version: 1.7.919 (latest version is 1.7.1040) and they both returned nil. Which I believe, is as expected.

Regardless the plugin is running on the very latest version of openLuup (2020.07.04b) and I had to force the plugin to use the curl method. The https.request method returned “invalid protocol (any)”.

Upgrade your LuaSec. That’s a symptom of a really old version

Yep - it’s version 0.5 - came with the RasPi distribution two or three years ago. Any idea what the magic incarnations to upgrade it for Raspbian without blowing up anything else? I’m no Linux expert - that’s for sure.

Two or three years - that’s so ancient. The humble light switch has probably been in use for a hundred years or more; rarely needs an upgrade and nearly always works. And most people know how to work them, although it seems in some countries, they insist on installing them upside down on a regular basis.

Hi @a-lurker,

Use the following to keep your Pi up to date. It should install a proper LuaSec as well.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

Cheers Rene

1 Like

Hello @reneboer

Sometime ago I thought the below would do the job as well (running Jessie on a Pi 3).

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot

I started with WinSCP, which allows you to execute commands in a terminal window. Except they don’t always work. “sudo apt update” did but “sudo apt full-upgrade” didn’t. A few other commands didn’t seem to work either and you end up with a (useless) error message along the lines of:

"Host is not communicating for more than 15 seconds...Try...'Optimise connection buffer size'"

All a bit fishy till you read the manual on WinSCP, which says “you cannot execute commands that require terminal emulation or user input”.

So I had a go with PuTTY and it all worked OK straight away.

Except LuaSec was untouched. That’s assuming this is the file of interest:

/usr/share/lua/5.1/ssl.lua

I thought the command “luarocks list” may help. It says:

Installed rocks:
dkjson 2.5-2 (installed) - /usr/local/lib/luarocks/rocks
luafilesystem 1.6.3-2 (installed) - /usr/local/lib/luarocks/rocks

And this: luarocks show luasec

Error: cannot find package luasec
Use 'list' to find installed rocks.

I thought I could do: sudo luarocks install luasec

But if it doesn’t know anything about the existing luasec, I though it might screw things up and I wasn’t game to try it out :nauseated_face:

So not too sure how to proceed.

Hi @a-lurker,

The luarocks list will only show packages you explicitly installed (updated) via luarocks. To see what you have installed use apt list.

apt list | grep lua-sec

I see that the default luasec should now is 0.6-3

I have not seen any issues with the 0.9 version installed from luarocks.

Cheers Rene

So using “PuTTY”, rather than “WinSCP” with command:

apt list | grep lua-sec

And a couple seconds later the result is:

lua-sec/oldoldstable,now 0.5-1 armhf [installed]
lua-sec-dev/oldoldstable 0.5-1 armhf

So if I use:

sudo luarocks install luasec

will it all work out OK!! Or will there be misc files all over the place? Can the old version be safely uninstalled first somehow?

There is no need to uninstall. That is all handled.

Cheers Rene

Hi there. I am keen to use DarkSky, but as I understand it, since it’s now been sold to Apple there is no way to get an API . Is there a plan to provide ongoing support for DarkSky for Vera users or do we need to find someway to use something like OpenWeatherMap.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to move forward. Looks like DarkSky has been an excellent plugin to Vera.

Thanks Hamish,

Hi Hamish,

I fear an other data provider will be needed in less than a year. It is on my to-do list. It will probably become one plugin with several data providers to choose from as the number of true global is getting slim.

Cheers Rene

1 Like

I think we can accept that weather forecasting has become big business judging by the recent acquisitions of these services by the “big players” in the tech sector.

An open source for weather data seems to be the only alternative unless the user wants to pay for the service or contribute data via their own weather station.

I’m using OW on another platform and it appears stable and reliable enough. Maybe we can say goodbye to Dark Sky and try a different route.

Thanks Rene

Has there been any work done on modifying this plugin to use visual crossing’s free weather API?

Visual Crossing even makes available an instruction guide on converting your project over, here:

I know Rene that you want to change this to list multiple providers but possibly a quick fork of this plugin to a visualcrossing-only specific one might be useful?

And of course, with Weatherunderground, all you have to do to get a “free API key” for Weatherunderground is buy a Personal Weather Station, from someplace like Home Depot and voila - “free” API key.

DarkSky has an odd problem:

It is actually 63F with so much forest fire smoke that visibility looks like this:

1 Like

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the pointer. Looks like a good one to include.

HSD99, I guess in a year or two they will include wild fires in the forecasts for your area. :slightly_frowning_face:

Cheers Rene

1 Like

Hi Rene,

It was certainly odd. The built-in weather app on my iPhone showed the correct temperature and the smoke. Yahoo Weather on my iPad did not.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi,

This is the successor of this DarkSky plugin.

Cheers Rene

2 Likes