[Plugin]DarkSky Weather

So using “PuTTY”, rather than “WinSCP” with command:

apt list | grep lua-sec

And a couple seconds later the result is:

lua-sec/oldoldstable,now 0.5-1 armhf [installed]
lua-sec-dev/oldoldstable 0.5-1 armhf

So if I use:

sudo luarocks install luasec

will it all work out OK!! Or will there be misc files all over the place? Can the old version be safely uninstalled first somehow?

There is no need to uninstall. That is all handled.

Cheers Rene

Hi there. I am keen to use DarkSky, but as I understand it, since it’s now been sold to Apple there is no way to get an API . Is there a plan to provide ongoing support for DarkSky for Vera users or do we need to find someway to use something like OpenWeatherMap.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to move forward. Looks like DarkSky has been an excellent plugin to Vera.

Thanks Hamish,

Hi Hamish,

I fear an other data provider will be needed in less than a year. It is on my to-do list. It will probably become one plugin with several data providers to choose from as the number of true global is getting slim.

Cheers Rene

1 Like

I think we can accept that weather forecasting has become big business judging by the recent acquisitions of these services by the “big players” in the tech sector.

An open source for weather data seems to be the only alternative unless the user wants to pay for the service or contribute data via their own weather station.

I’m using OW on another platform and it appears stable and reliable enough. Maybe we can say goodbye to Dark Sky and try a different route.

Thanks Rene

Has there been any work done on modifying this plugin to use visual crossing’s free weather API?

Visual Crossing even makes available an instruction guide on converting your project over, here:

I know Rene that you want to change this to list multiple providers but possibly a quick fork of this plugin to a visualcrossing-only specific one might be useful?

And of course, with Weatherunderground, all you have to do to get a “free API key” for Weatherunderground is buy a Personal Weather Station, from someplace like Home Depot and voila - “free” API key.

DarkSky has an odd problem:

It is actually 63F with so much forest fire smoke that visibility looks like this:

1 Like

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the pointer. Looks like a good one to include.

HSD99, I guess in a year or two they will include wild fires in the forecasts for your area. :slightly_frowning_face:

Cheers Rene

1 Like

Hi Rene,

It was certainly odd. The built-in weather app on my iPhone showed the correct temperature and the smoke. Yahoo Weather on my iPad did not.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi,

This is the successor of this DarkSky plugin.

Cheers Rene

2 Likes