License for Vera Alerts Plugin Starting April 1, 2014

I would like to thank Garrett for an epiphanal moment today. I am relatively new to home automation and have benefitted significantly from the exhaustive work of many of the forum contributors and app developers. In this short time I have developed a true dependence upon the home automation features that allow me to monitor my security, manage my utilities, view my surroundings from anywhere in the world.

The epiphany is that any one of these contributors could be hit by a bus tomorrow or even simply lose interest in Vera and move on to the next new thing. I for one would have to follow Richard to his next endeavor because without PLEG my vera development would be very crude indeed. And for that matter, Vera could go out of business or otherwise render all of my HA efforts useless in many ways.

Garrett’s point that we are all responsible for how we use these tools and how we develop a dependence upon them is profound. And very true. I was caught up in the fun and challenge of this new hobby and failed to have a backup plan.

I can see how many people may have been inconvenienced in varying degrees and oddly enough the money was the least of it. For me, this is a good time to review my vulnerabilities and use better methods to manage them. Heck, I even need to have some plan in hand where by wife could be able to do certain things if I were hit by the bus. As more people begin to license their efforts for a fee, perhaps a process can be developed for the transitions from a hobby to a business.

Richard, I cannot thank you enough for developing and sharing these apps. I hope you are receiving at least enough revenue to feel that your work is appreciated and begin some meager compensation. Please do not get discouraged. I sincerely appreciate your documentation and responsiveness. I have to say that my first thought when I read about the licensing fee was that now people are going to have even higher expectations. And thanks to Garrett, you opened my eyes today.

I honestly think if you have a system that is left to it’s own accord and you don’t mess with it too much (as in, you aren’t in it daily or every other day), then auto update should be turned off for all plugins. Then on your regular maintenance schedule, you can check for updates and evaluate them (Taking a backup before installing any updates). This should just be SOP for anyone’s system that is not currently being “tweaked” regularly. Heck, even one that is currently being tweaked should be cautious about auto update. There is just too much “risk” that can be interjected via an update into a “production” environment. This would be especially true for one deployed to your Grandparent’s house as they may not be able to fix it if an auto update breaks something. This is the exact reason why windows auto updates are disabled on my production servers (not that it was ever turned on).

I would say that it would be nice if vera offered a way to see in the UI that a new update if available for plugins. It’s not always clear when there is one and some of my plugin’s don’t offer auto update (for whatever reason that I can’t remember right now). Or maybe there is a notification and I’m just missing it…which is completely possible! :slight_smile:

(@AgileHumor, this isn’t really directed at you, I just wanted to expand on your comment, not discredit it or disagree with it in any way).

Maybe I am doing something wrong here.

I just started using the plug-in last night, I got the license for my devices.

I am running into an issue, might be a config issue from my side, but I am unable to get any alerts, but when I do the “Send Alert” selecting the device, it works every time.

The VeraAlert device shows notification of the device and timestamp, almost looks like the notification was sent out, but it never makes it to the device.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, I continue to do the Registration, it tells me “Registration: Successful”

But when I open the registration tab again, it shows:

Something is wrong. Can’t determine when your demo period started. Your license limits are 10 Messages per Vera reload and 2 active profiles.

Two issues:

1. If you are registering … enter the registration … save the changes … them refresh your browser.

2. Do you have any profiles associated with your user profile ?
    This is set from the settings tab … Select your user name (lower left of settings page) and make sure there is one or more profiles associated with the user (lower right of settings page).
    Please post the output of the Report command in PDF if you still have a problem.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:64, topic:179809”]Two issues:

1. If you are registering … enter the registration … save the changes … them refresh your browser.

2. Do you have any profiles associated with your user profile ?
    This is set from the settings tab … Select your user name (lower left of settings page) and make sure there is one or more profiles associated with the user (lower right of settings page).
    Please post the output of the Report command in PDF if you still have a problem.[/quote]

3. Clearing the cache fixed the issue with the license, why didn’t I try that first lol.

4. I have a profile selected, if I select Internal Alerts and Debug, I receive the messages for each of those, but I don’t get Process Notifications messages.

But when a Notification Message is supposed to go out, the VeraAlert device screen changes showing the device and the time stamp of when the message was supposed to be sent out, even when the message never makes it.

You must check EACH entry on the lower left side of the Settings … there is a Minimum of Two entries there … so you have to check EACH

If you look at your REPORT you can probably figure it out … if not post your REPORT here as PDF.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:66, topic:179809”]You must check EACH entry on the lower left side of the Settings … there is a Minimum of Two entries there … so you have to check EACH

If you look at your REPORT you can probably figure it out … if not post your REPORT here as PDF.[/quote]

I was not able to do the report, didn’t work.

But you where right, I needed to select the other “Users” and select the profile there also. All good now.

Thank you Richard, awesome plugin, I can see why everybody was saying that it was a most have with my vera.

I had the same problem as Frank and was about to email in a support request when I finally figured out.

To have Vera notifications start working: Open the VeraAlerts device and Settings tab, then tap on your username (in blue) and it will turn orange. Check the profiles to the right to enable notifications to go to them.

[quote=“frankhou77, post:63, topic:179809”]Maybe I am doing something wrong here.

I got the license for my devices.

I am running into an issue, might be a config issue from my side, but I am unable to get any alerts, but when I do the “Send Alert” selecting the device, it works every time.[/quote]

I have a similar issue. I can use the “send alert” and it works fine, but when I am supposed to receive a notification, it still sends the text, rather than the VeraAlert. I do have the “process notifications” checked and the report looks correct. The profile has a user association, and the user is shown on the notifications.

I do not get the timestamp unless I do the “Send Alert” option, so it’s like it isn’t trying to intercept the notifications. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the plugin, uninstalling/reinstalling the Android app, clearing app data, creating new events with notifications…

There’s probably something small that I’m missing, but I can’t figure it out for anything.

I just added another Vera3 and installed your app. I can not for the life of me figure out how to pay you or how to get this to work. I know on my first Vera3 4 months ago I used paypal somehow. Upgraded to the new version of Vera, did that mess it up? 1.7.318?

There is a register tab on the device control.

Found it, wasn’t there when I installed. Took a couple of days to show up. Thank you.

?

[quote=“jamezel13, post:69, topic:179809”][quote=“frankhou77, post:63, topic:179809”]Maybe I am doing something wrong here.

I got the license for my devices.

I am running into an issue, might be a config issue from my side, but I am unable to get any alerts, but when I do the “Send Alert” selecting the device, it works every time.[/quote]

I have a similar issue. I can use the “send alert” and it works fine, but when I am supposed to receive a notification, it still sends the text, rather than the VeraAlert. I do have the “process notifications” checked and the report looks correct. The profile has a user association, and the user is shown on the notifications.

I do not get the timestamp unless I do the “Send Alert” option, so it’s like it isn’t trying to intercept the notifications. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the plugin, uninstalling/reinstalling the Android app, clearing app data, creating new events with notifications…

There’s probably something small that I’m missing, but I can’t figure it out for anything.[/quote]

you can put the {timestamp} option on Each message or the message override for the appropriate profile.

I tried the manual override, but still nothing. The problem isn’t that I’m not getting the timestamp. The problem is that the alerts are not working at all. I only mentioned the timestamp to show that it isn’t even trying to send the alert. Strangely enough, I do get the internal alerts if I check that box.

Post the PDF output from your report

Richard I tried putting {timestamp} at the end of individual messages (like I do for pictures) and I have tried the Override under profiles, message prefix. I don’t see anything coming up with a time stamp. Only the same time that has always been there.

Anyone have screen shot in Vera Alerts android app. To see how its supposed to look.

Camera still pictures work and all alerts work as normal. I have rebooted VERA and the android phones.

The 2 with message overrides are the ones that I’m trying to get alerts from.
I tried it with and without the overrides.
It’s probably something small that I"m missing.

the report looks ok … Will need to see the Vera log file when an event is supposed to be sent.

Hi Richard. I am faced with exactly same issue as jamezel. I have license and I can receive internal alerts and Send Alert function also works. Just not getting any other notification. Maybe issue somewhere else in plugin or Vera?