License for Vera Alerts Plugin Starting April 1, 2014

Hi Richard,

I PM’ed you my vera ID but haven’t received a response from you yet. Do you need any additional information? If you could kindly respond I’d really appreciate it. My home’s alarm system is based on the functionality of vera alerts and hasn’t been working properly for several weeks because of this licensing change.

Thanks,

cmaples

I guess I’m on the same boat. I would love to support the developer of this app. Just purchased and everything is working. When into the Vera Alert Registration Tab and hit portal registion and add that to my cart and check out with paypal. Afterward I got the registration key from my email and past it to the Vera Alert Reigstration Tab and hit verified. Afterward it say I’m successful registered!! :slight_smile:

@cmaples
Have you tried the register tab ?
You should be on Version 5.6

Confirmed. The version number is 5.6 - I’m not sure if that is the original version I installed because “auto update” was checked. In the “register” tab I see the following message “Something is wrong. Can’t determine when your demo period started. Your license limits are 10 Messages per Vera reload and 2 active profiles.” Is the registration ID the information you’ll be PM’ing me?

Click the Registration Portal link to purchase a license … It will be automatically mailed to you.

You’re post says that legacy users can get a free license by PM’ing you our Vera ID, which I did. Is this incorrect? I haven’t received a license. Should I send you my vera ID again?

Thanks,

cmaples

Actually I said post your Vera I’d here.
I will provide a license key. It will only work with pre 5.0 Legacy users.

I Don’t mean to be a pain. I like your software and would be happy to support it. What I don’t like is your business practices. I bought a vera because I didn’t want to pay annual fees and hidden charges. My system was working fine and then you made a change to your software without notifying your users that caused it to stop working. It’s starting to feel like ransomware. If I give in and pay the fee this time, how do I know you won’t do this again?

“oh sorry everyone…I just released a new version and now it’s going to cost you $50 if you want you system to continue functioning.”

Are we able to downgrade our software back to the free version? It’s not posted in the app market. Only the latest version.

Sorry I was trying to do it thru the apps tab in the GUI. Using the Mios Apps web page was much simpler. MiOS Apps
After clicking install I could then see the versions.

Thanks.

You can restore your software from a backup before you updated.

Also

I have kept the version prior to the license release on the App store.
I will probably keep it there for another month.

Thanks for your help Richard. I’ve downgraded my software but have concerns about posting my Vera ID on the public forum. I’ve PM’ed it to you. Please let me know if this is sufficient to receive a license. Thanks

What everyone keeps saying is Richard should have notified the users. How is he supposed to do that? He does not have contact info for every user using his plugin. He mentioned several times on this forum what his intentions were.

As a developer myself and in which I provide my software for free, it amazes me how so many people demand something for free. Richard put a lot of effort into a very useful plugin that many use on here. It is also one of the most discussed plug-ins on the forum which requires support. I believe the price he is asking for is a very small price for his time and effort!

• Garrett

[quote=“garrettwp, post:51, topic:179809”]I believe the price he is asking for is a very small price for his time and effort!

• Garrett[/quote]

Well said Garrett.

Richard is displaying the highest level of patience and mostly tolerance. If it was me… I would have shown most of them the symbolic door

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

It still amazes me how many people complain about 5 bucks. I have said this before if you don’t like it, don’t pay it. Plain and simple. Most on this form tinker and don’t develop and don’t have the skills that Richard has to build something like this. If you do more power to you and build your own. If you don’t then shut up pay the money or don’t use the product. Or go to a professional system and spend way more. The product is deserving of a lot higher price point to make the device functional. If 5 to 10 bucks is a heartache the. Maybe you need to rethink what your spending your money on. Plain and simple nothing to argue. Just pay the guy his rightfully owed dues and move on.

I totally agree, without Richard’s skills my use of Vera would be limited. My programming finished years ago with VBA and Excel, Lua has me beaten and I fir one am quite happy to pay for the expertise.

David

Nobody says they don’t want to pay a minor fee for this great application, or that his expertise and skills are not appreciated!

The discussion is about the way it is implemented without prior notice!
How did he had to contact everyone? Simple, by using the messages vera alerts sends!

I am using this as a burglary alarm system, and I don’t appreciate the way he implemented the registry function without clearly communicating about it via the messages generated by Vera alerts!
The ten message limit is a definite no go for this purpose.

The way to go would have been to prevent auto update or, if that is not possible, create a new entry in the app store for the paid version.
That way, every user would have to install the new application with the new terms knowingly.

Now, it’s a big surprise for me today…

I will register and pay for the man’s good work, but the way he implemented this leaves a sour taste in my mouth, which, with better communication, could have been avoided…

There is no easy way to notify users. This maybe easy if you’re using veralerts but not for pleg and the other plug-ins. Richard did what was best and put a notice on this forum where the plug-in originated from over a month notice! It is not Richards responsibility for how you use the plug-in. If you depend on the plug-in for security and safety reasons, you may want to rethink your setup!

• Garrett

Now that you are registered … I have your email … I can contact you if there are any issues that may effect this service.

I indicated over 6 months ago that I may have to charge for this App, since it has grown to the point that I have had to pay Google a monthly fee.
I exceeded their free limits of appspot … their hosting service. This is used as the PostOffice between your Vera and your mobile device:
See:
http://veraalertsexchange.appspot.com/

You can see the growth in usage.
The counts this month will be down about 20% as a result of the transition for people to acquire their licenses.

So I bought 2 licenses…and no problem doing so…I really think it should cost $50. Richard has developed quite a platform here.

However, I do agree that it wasn’t handled well for NON-Active Forum users. I mention this not to complain about the past, but to make it better in the future.

I have disabled auto update of PLC/PLEG to ensure that I don’t upgrade accidentally to prevent this issue in the future. This seems like a good fix for me…but not the typical user if I deployed Vera to my Grandparents.

No changes requested…just want to give another perspective that will make the process better for all.

Very Respectfully,
Your humble fool

PS - The fact that you personally had to pay for Vera Alerts messages I think is a valid reason to start charging the currently deployed users. PLEG, not so much :wink:

Yes, well, for me (not so frequent forum visitor, and when i’m here, i don’t visit the page of a plugin that works) it came as a surprise. Is it my fault for not visiting the forums and pages of every plugin I have? maybe it is…

So I want to again stress that (for me) it is no problem to pay a minor fee (which it is, minor in comparison to the functionality).
I am verry happy with the application and what it does.

So Richard, thank you for putting this much time, effort and aparently money into it!
Without this plugin, the vera would not be as usefull as it is now.