Honeywell TH8320ZW1000 thermostat...

To anyone who still has this problem, to get to the 0710 reset, it’s not the 3rd and 5th blank button. It’s the 2nd and 4th blank button. Just using the 3rd blank button will not allow you to get to the 0710 option.

This question was lost along the progression of the thread. I am battling with this right now. I submitted a tech support request but please chime in if anyone is aware of a fix. My guess is that there is a parameter that needs to be manually changed before Vera surfaces support for Em Heat? Interestingly enough, the Grasshopper App for Windows Phone and Windows Modern UI both do surface Em Heat. When you select it, Vera returns an error that the device does not support this mode, but then it sets it on the thermostat. IMHO that’s a good sign.

For those interested, this occurs because the furnace is actually a “2 Heat / 1 Cool” heat pump. So basically in the milder months the heat pump can run very efficiently and then in the few weeks where it gets down to 10-15 degrees in the midwest, it can go fully electric. This is obviously expensive so we try to use it sparingly. At times it is the only way to keep up. The Honeywell actually displays a bright red light when this mode is enabled which I didn’t even know was there until this winter!

I wrote the Grasshopper app. The options listed are hard coded so i would suspect vera is not doing something properly. Below is the list of values it currently supports.

Off
AutoChangeOver
CoolOn
HeatOn
AuxCoolOn
AuxHeatOn
EconomyCoolOn
EconomyHeatOn
EmergencyHeatOn
EnergySavingsMode
BuildingProtection

Making a quick pass to clean these up. MCV is testing a beta firmware fix.

[quote=“ShadowACE, post:40, topic:168437”]Ordered the Honeywell TH8320ZW1007 thermostat on Tuesday 2/19/13, received the package today 2/21/13. This is my first device after receiving the Veralite.

Okay, took me six hours trying to link the device to Veralite. I was stumped, didn’t know what else to do. Searched online, I found this forum and followed all of the above methods of trying to get it to connect. Wasn’t even able to get to reset by code 710 - 1. No matter what I did, all I got was “Communication Lost” and “Action Failed”. I was just about to yank it off the wall and put it back in the box to return it to Amazon. I hate the hassle of returning things so I thought I just give it one last try. Opened up the back cover, there was a circuit board labeled Comm seems to be lose. It seems like the four pins connector was pretty lose, I bent the pins a little for better connection. Pressed it back in snuggle and put it back on the wall. What do you know? It worked.

I really love these home automation stuff now that I got this working. Can’t wait for video cameras and motion sensors to arrive. Thanks everyone.[/quote]

I had a similar problem in which my Veralite bugged out requiring me to do a restore and repair. The Honeywell lost its connection and I tried several times pulling it off the wall to do a reset. Still no luck, “action failed”. However after reading this post, I tried pushing the unit onto the wall a bit firmer and this seemed to adjust the case and it established a connection immediately! I wonder if the process of pulling it off the wall loosens the communications board inside causing the radio to malfunction. If you are having a problem with the “communication lost”, try pushing it more firmly into the wallplate to better seat the connections inside!

[quote=“lexgreen, post:45, topic:168437”][quote=“ShadowACE, post:40, topic:168437”]Ordered the Honeywell TH8320ZW1007 thermostat on Tuesday 2/19/13, received the package today 2/21/13. This is my first device after receiving the Veralite.

Okay, took me six hours trying to link the device to Veralite. I was stumped, didn’t know what else to do. Searched online, I found this forum and followed all of the above methods of trying to get it to connect. Wasn’t even able to get to reset by code 710 - 1. No matter what I did, all I got was “Communication Lost” and “Action Failed”. I was just about to yank it off the wall and put it back in the box to return it to Amazon. I hate the hassle of returning things so I thought I just give it one last try. Opened up the back cover, there was a circuit board labeled Comm seems to be lose. It seems like the four pins connector was pretty lose, I bent the pins a little for better connection. Pressed it back in snuggle and put it back on the wall. What do you know? It worked.

I really love these home automation stuff now that I got this working. Can’t wait for video cameras and motion sensors to arrive. Thanks everyone.[/quote]

I had a similar problem in which my Veralite bugged out requiring me to do a restore and repair. The Honeywell lost its connection and I tried several times pulling it off the wall to do a reset. Still no luck, “action failed”. However after reading this post, I tried pushing the unit onto the wall a bit firmer and this seemed to adjust the case and it established a connection immediately! I wonder if the process of pulling it off the wall loosens the communications board inside causing the radio to malfunction. If you are having a problem with the “communication lost”, try pushing it more firmly into the wallplate to better seat the connections inside![/quote]

This actually worked for me too - mostly. I noticed that I was getting a different response from the thermostat when I put some pressure on it. It didn’t actually connect to my Veralite at this time though. I then pulled it off the wall and opened the plastic cover on the back that exposes the zwave radio module. I removed and re-seated the module to the main board and now everything is fine. I would guess the zwave radio module is not attached as good as it could be, and shipping loosens something.

I installed one of these a week ago and it was nearly painless. I had the degrees C / degrees F issue but manually polling the stat fixed it.

My only wish was that you could program the stat’s internal schedule through Vera instead of using scheduled scenes to repeatedly set a manual temperature. I ended up turning off the programming feature of the Honeywell for simplicity.

ETA: Oh, and the UI6 dashboard doesn’t display current room temperature, only the setpoint. Kinda dumb to have to go to “Advanced Settings” to see it.

[quote=“lexgreen, post:45, topic:168437”][quote=“ShadowACE, post:40, topic:168437”]Ordered the Honeywell TH8320ZW1007 thermostat on Tuesday 2/19/13, received the package today 2/21/13. This is my first device after receiving the Veralite.

I had a similar problem in which my Veralite bugged out requiring me to do a restore and repair. The Honeywell lost its connection and I tried several times pulling it off the wall to do a reset. Still no luck, “action failed”. However after reading this post, I tried pushing the unit onto the wall a bit firmer and this seemed to adjust the case and it established a connection immediately! I wonder if the process of pulling it off the wall loosens the communications board inside causing the radio to malfunction. If you are having a problem with the “communication lost”, try pushing it more firmly into the wallplate to better seat the connections inside![/quote]

I was having the same problem with my VeraEdge and Honeywell TH8320ZW1000 thermostat. If I applied pressure on the unit onto the wall, it would establish a connection, but would lose the connection after I let go. I then removed the unit from the wall and noticed one of the pins was a little crooked. After straightening out the pin and pushing the unit back into the wall, it was able to establish a connection immediately and everything now works fine.

I just picked up one of these TH8320ZWs from Amazon. I’m having a problem I haven’t seen described yet. I have the VeraLite, and I can’t get it to pair either.

But my 8320 looks like it’s pairing - the message “Adding device…” shows up, but then nothing happens. It never pairs, and it never times out of this pairing mode. I have to pull it from the wall, or nothing happens. It won’t accept any inputs from the keypad.

Any thoughts?

[quote=“punwannabe, post:48, topic:168437”][quote=“lexgreen, post:45, topic:168437”][quote=“ShadowACE, post:40, topic:168437”]Ordered the Honeywell TH8320ZW1007 thermostat on Tuesday 2/19/13, received the package today 2/21/13. This is my first device after receiving the Veralite.

I was having the same problem with my VeraEdge and Honeywell TH8320ZW1000 thermostat. If I applied pressure on the unit onto the wall, it would establish a connection, but would lose the connection after I let go. I then removed the unit from the wall and noticed one of the pins was a little crooked. After straightening out the pin and pushing the unit back into the wall, it was able to establish a connection immediately and everything now works fine.[/quote]

I’ve had two of these thermostats installed for a few years now, I got one to work long ago and never the other, then the one I had working stopped…so after reading this thread I pulled one off the wall that had the “Communication Error” on the screen, flipped it over to try and find the communication board. On the right side (back of unit) there’s a smaller cover, tried to pull that off and broke it (very fragile). I pushed on this circuit board and could feel the bottom half push in…put the cover back on (now loose) and attached it to the wall…COMMUNICATING!!

The second one had the same “Communication Error”, pulled it off, instead of removing that cover I took a small flathead and pushed through an opening on that cover against the board, same thing, it moved forward. Connected and COMMUNICATING!!

Thanks for the help!!

[quote=“booshwa, post:50, topic:168437”][quote=“punwannabe, post:48, topic:168437”][quote=“lexgreen, post:45, topic:168437”][quote=“ShadowACE, post:40, topic:168437”]Ordered the Honeywell TH8320ZW1007 thermostat on Tuesday 2/19/13, received the package today 2/21/13. This is my first device after receiving the Veralite.

I was having the same problem with my VeraEdge and Honeywell TH8320ZW1000 thermostat. If I applied pressure on the unit onto the wall, it would establish a connection, but would lose the connection after I let go. I then removed the unit from the wall and noticed one of the pins was a little crooked. After straightening out the pin and pushing the unit back into the wall, it was able to establish a connection immediately and everything now works fine.[/quote]

I’ve had two of these thermostats installed for a few years now, I got one to work long ago and never the other, then the one I had working stopped…so after reading this thread I pulled one off the wall that had the “Communication Error” on the screen, flipped it over to try and find the communication board. On the right side (back of unit) there’s a smaller cover, tried to pull that off and broke it (very fragile). I pushed on this circuit board and could feel the bottom half push in…put the cover back on (now loose) and attached it to the wall…COMMUNICATING!!

The second one had the same “Communication Error”, pulled it off, instead of removing that cover I took a small flathead and pushed through an opening on that cover against the board, same thing, it moved forward. Connected and COMMUNICATING!!

Thanks for the help!![/quote]

Had the same issue, tried the flathead screwdriver trick. I heard a little “pop” and something slid into place, almost sounded like something cracked ( scared me ) but I really didn’t have to apply much force. Put it back on the wall and suddenly everything came to life. I cannot believe that Honeywell is shipping so many of these units with this stupid defect. This forum saved me a TON of pain, thanks so much.

I upgraded to a ZeraPlus and not the system logs “Lost communication” and “Device communicating again” over and over again. The funny thing is, everything is still working properly.

You guys are AWESOME!

After 2 years operating with no problems, one of my Honeywell TH8320ZW thermostats stopped working with Micasa, and gave the “Communication Lost” error. Tried excluding, including, etc., nothing worked. Then I saw this thread, pushed in the Z-wave board, and now it works again.

Thank you!

[quote=“jimmyfoo, post:51, topic:168437”][quote=“booshwa, post:50, topic:168437”][quote=“punwannabe, post:48, topic:168437”][quote=“lexgreen, post:45, topic:168437”][quote=“ShadowACE, post:40, topic:168437”]Ordered the Honeywell TH8320ZW1007 thermostat on Tuesday 2/19/13, received the package today 2/21/13. This is my first device after receiving the Veralite.

Thanks for the help!![/quote]

Had the same issue, tried the flathead screwdriver trick. I heard a little “pop” and something slid into place, almost sounded like something cracked ( scared me ) but I really didn’t have to apply much force. Put it back on the wall and suddenly everything came to life. I cannot believe that Honeywell is shipping so many of these units with this stupid defect. This forum saved me a TON of pain, thanks so much.[/quote]

Okay where is that board?

Actually, both “pair numbers” could be seen as right, depending on how you count.

If you notice that the very first button is not blank (it says “Done”), but you count that one anyway, it’s the 3rd and 5th buttons that you touch and hold. If you count ONLY the buttons that are blank (as you should given the directions above), then it’s the 2nd and 4th.

Picked up one of these used and got it installed. Went to set it up and it was already added to a Z-Wave system (I knew that as the person I got it from told me that I would have to exclude it because that wasn’t done before it was uninstalled). No matter what I did when going through the setup menu, the rf10 option would always yield an almost immediate “Action failed” error when I tried to switch the setting from 0 to 1.

I followed the process to execute a full reset of the thermostat and then went back into the setup menus. There was no longer a Z-Wave ID being shown and it did not indicate that it was paired in a network. But, when I went to include it, switching the rf10 value from 0 to 1 would result in an almost immediate “Operation Failed”. I clicked “Retry” in the Vera web page and it continued to fail. I let the Vera basically time out, tried switching the setting from 0 to 1 one more time and the Vera web page immediately woke up and included it.

:slight_smile:

This post helped me a lot so I wanted to reply. Picked up one of these thermostats off amazon. Pretty sure it was used because it already had a paired ID. I had the 'Communication Lost" problem but removing the small panel on the back and re-seating the board fixed it. Then I was unable to remove the old pairing info so I went through the reset procedure and was then able to pair to my Vera-lite. It’s working now and I only spent about an hour thanks to this forum! :slight_smile:

Trying the push method when I get home. Its been “Communication Lost” for a few days and have not had time to look at it.

I got a chance to check it out tonight. pushing on the body of the thermostat did nothing. Removing the thermostat from the wall bracket and then popping open the little cover plate on the back of the unit to access the communication card and re-seating that is what did the trick for me.

When I had problems with mine, I contacted Vera Controls technical support. They were great and fast. I had the thermostat recognized immediately. What they told me to do was first exclude it, then include it.