Honeywell TH8320ZW1000 thermostat...

There was some chatter about these after some tech show early this year. We have a hybrid system in our house–natural gas emergency heat, heat pump for 95% of the time. I had contacted our HVAC installer about chasing down a pair of these–we have a two-zone system, and these would basically be drop-in replacements for the Honeywell Vision Pro TH8320 guys we have now, with the Z-wave added in.

He got back to me yesterday–he said he was told that at this point, Honeywell plans to distribute these solely through utility companies. My surmise is that they intend to have them play with Z-wave enabled smart meters, so utilities can use them to tweak consumer 'stat settings to avoid ugly peak loads.

Our utility company is a PUD, so I gave them a call. It’s nice being in a PUD–our rates are about half what folks outside our district pay Portland General Electric. And the folks running the place are neighbors who are responsive to us, rather than to distant shareholders. Anyway, their person who does this sort of thing is going to chase us down info on getting a pair, if he can. He asked if we’d be up for them installing a companion Z-wave enabled electric meter on their nickel, as an experiment. They’d have no way or plans to control the meter, but if they decided to roll them out broadly later, they’d have learned some stuff from us.

Just providing this as a data-point.

–Richard

What ever happened? Did you get this unit installed?

I just replaced my Vision IAQ Stat with the Prestige HD unit to get the remote control for controlling off the upstairs temperature at night. It works great, but real stupid as you can’t memorize the fact that during Sleep time in the schedule you want to control off the remote temp, so every night I need to manually flip it. I am hoping they come out with a Zwave Prestige unit so I only have to change the main unit and can keep the unit at the furnace/outdoor sensor/and remote. I posted to find out if anyone is already doing this using a Zwave thermostat and 3-1 sensor for the remote room, but no responses yet.

[quote=“Cherokee180c, post:2, topic:168437”]What ever happened? Did you get this unit installed?

I just replaced my Vision IAQ Stat with the Prestige HD unit to get the remote control for controlling off the upstairs temperature at night. It works great, but real stupid as you can’t memorize the fact that during Sleep time in the schedule you want to control off the remote temp, so every night I need to manually flip it. I am hoping they come out with a Zwave Prestige unit so I only have to change the main unit and can keep the unit at the furnace/outdoor sensor/and remote. I posted to find out if anyone is already doing this using a Zwave thermostat and 3-1 sensor for the remote room, but no responses yet. [/quote]

Have not heard back from the city yet. I expect the response to come back some time next month. I didn’t ask them to kill themselves trying to find this. I’d be pretty happy if I could have a pair of these installed by mid-October.

–Richard

So they don’t appear to have them yet, but SmartHome now has a page for these, so they are likely to be forthcoming:

http://www.smarthome.com/300672/Honeywell-TH8320ZW1000-U-Z-Wave-Touchscreen-Thermostat/p.aspx

–Richard

[quote=“rlmalisz, post:4, topic:168437”]So they don’t appear to have them yet, but SmartHome now has a page for these, so they are likely to be forthcoming:

http://www.smarthome.com/300672/Honeywell-TH8320ZW1000-U-Z-Wave-Touchscreen-Thermostat/p.aspx

–Richard[/quote]

Supposed to have them in stock on Monday. I’ve ordered two, and will report back as the fight continues…

–Richard

[quote=“rlmalisz, post:5, topic:168437”][quote=“rlmalisz, post:4, topic:168437”]So they don’t appear to have them yet, but SmartHome now has a page for these, so they are likely to be forthcoming:

–Richard[/quote]

Supposed to have them in stock on Monday. I’ve ordered two, and will report back as the fight continues…

–Richard[/quote]

Got mail from them last week, saying they would now be “in stock” next Wednesday. Got mail from them
today that “the manufacturer has discontinued this item”, and that they were issuing me a refund. I find
it highly unlikely that Honeywell is discontinuing a product they only announced this spring. But they not
want to sell them through retail–which would jibe with things my heating guys have said.

Sigh.

–Richard

Looks like Amazon has them…

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH8320ZW-Enabled-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B0057R4Y8U

[quote=“rcnap, post:7, topic:168437”]Looks like Amazon has them…

Thanks for the tip! I had an order in for these with SmartHome–they cancelled that one, and then put a slightly different version of the item up with a new SKU. So I ordered that. Originally supposed to be in stock over a month ago. That date has been slipping, on about a two-day to two-day slip, ever since. I will have the units from Amazon before Smarthome gets them in stock! Took a while on their phone queue, but I have cancelled that order, and nabbed two from AMZ. Got free two-day shipping, too!

Thanks again!

–Richard

You’re welcome. I was just on amazon and noticed their inventory showed 2 less than earlier. :wink: I’m interested to hear how they work for you. I want to jump into HA and this thermostat will have a high WAF as our current thermostat is also a Honeywell and looks very similar.

Our current 'stats are TH8320s. Given the way these pop off the wall mount, I am sort of expecting installing one to involve walking through the existing stat’s installer menus, noting how things are set, and then putting the new one into installer mode and mimicking the settings. And while in installer menu, set them for inclusion and add them to the network.

I was born in Kansas–the state motto is “ad astra per aspera” (to the stars, through difficulty). I am hoping that getting my hands on these was the hard part. Ready for some stars.

–Richard

I decided to take the plunge. Ordered the Vera2 last night and the thermostat this morning.

I just installed the Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007. I ordered from Amazon. It took about 20 minutes to remove the old one, wire up the new one, and pair with Vera2. No problems!

I set up control with SQ Connect app. I had to reboot my Ipad but it then worked without any issues.

[quote=“jdingman, post:12, topic:168437”]I just installed the Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007. I ordered from Amazon. It took about 20 minutes to remove the old one, wire up the new one, and pair with Vera2. No problems!

I set up control with SQ Connect app. I had to reboot my Ipad but it then worked without any issues.[/quote]

I got ours Tuesday, but am waiting to drop them in until the weekend. These are not a pop-off/pop-on replacement for our existing TH8320U1008s, so it’s going to take a bit more work. We have a hybrid system: heat pump with natural gas backup. So I need to wade through the way the installer options are set currently and mimic them on the new guys.

Good to hear that Vera groks them.

–Richard

Same here. Thermostat install itself was simple. Same wiring as my old honeywell. The only thing I’m not sure about is that I can’t get the system to even display auto as an option. I must’ve missed something in the installer set-up. As heat isn’t an issue right now, I’ll leave on cool and investigate further over the next few days.

Since this is my first device on Vera2, I’m still feeling my way around. But, everything looks fine to me. It responds to my commands properly.

Once I figure out the system thing, I’ll start playing around with scenes.

[quote=“jdingman, post:12, topic:168437”]I just installed the Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007. I ordered from Amazon. It took about 20 minutes to remove the old one, wire up the new one, and pair with Vera2. No problems!

I set up control with SQ Connect app. I had to reboot my Ipad but it then worked without any issues.[/quote]

Well, I got the last part right. After re-re-rereading the manual, 0300 Manual/Auto Changover is the setting I left at the default of 0.

This item is US only and not for Europe, does anyone know why? ??? Or does this item also works in Europe?

@tinus,

Welcome!

It’s probably geared at typical U.S. heating/cooling solutions, and operates at the U.S. Z-Wave frequency.

Thank you for the information, i must have some patience. :-\

Hi! Just got my TH8320ZW1000 in. I’m having trouble getting it on my Vera2 network. I’ll prep the Vera2 for inclusion ( power it up with the battery, move it 1-3 feet from the thermostat, click the ZWave button on the Vera, and wait for the ZWave led to flash green. However, when I go into the installer and set the rf10 from 0 to 1, I get a “The action failed” error message on the thermostat.

Has anyone seen this error? I’ll keep digging into this, but any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

[quote=“rels, post:19, topic:168437”]Hi! Just got my TH8320ZW1000 in. I’m having trouble getting it on my Vera2 network. I’ll prep the Vera2 for inclusion ( power it up with the battery, move it 1-3 feet from the thermostat, click the ZWave button on the Vera, and wait for the ZWave led to flash green. However, when I go into the installer and set the rf10 from 0 to 1, I get a “The action failed” error message on the thermostat.

Has anyone seen this error? I’ll keep digging into this, but any help will be appreciated. Thanks![/quote]

I had problems (obviously) when I was trying to do this with my V1 dongle that had gone non-PRI. Not so much trouble with the V2, but I did low-power with the Vera hooked up to power and network (long CAT5 cable, and our whole house is wired), and did the “wizard” add.

I did find that the Honeywell had a pretty short fuse to this failure message when I was having problems. Barely a second before it gives up.

–Richard