First Alert CO/Fire Detector

Here is the reply I got from the support team:

I’ve checked with our development team and this new sensor is not fully supported at the moment. Unfortunately the sensor doesn?t report it?s state to Vera and therefore notifications are not working either. Our development team will try to fully integrate this sensor with Vera, but I don’t have an estimated date. Once I will have any news I will let you know.
I?m very sorry for the inconvenience.
Alex Sescu - support@micasaverde.com

So I guess it’s up to you all to put a little bit of pressure on MVC so that they support Smoke Detectors in America

Vera Support told me I was on a mailing list and I will be notified When they can support the FirstAlert zSmoke detector, but they didn’t provide an estimated date

Some people on the Homeseer boards are figuring out some of the communication from the sensor:

I recently purchased both ZSMOKE and ZCOMBO this week and have arrived last night. Couldn’t wait to set them up. Of course I was having the same issues as everyone on this form. I also place a support request regarding this issue after I found the form. Figured more support request they have for this issue they might jump its priority a bit.

The request was submitted on NOV 20, 2013 | 04:19PM PST and received a replay on NOV 20, 2013 | 05:56PM PST with the following message:

"At the moment the First Alert Smoke sensor can be added on the Vera unit but it won?t work as it uses a a new z-wave command class that?s not yet supported by Vera.

Our development team is working on adding support for that and once it?s added we will release a beta firmware which will allow those sensors to work. We do not know an exact date but as soon as possible the new firmware should be released.
You can find the fixes from each firmware version on this page :
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Release_Notes

I?m sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you."

I guess we all just need to wait for this patch to be released.

Wish this was working so I could purchase this from lowes.

Wish this was working so I could purchase this from lowes.

Same here, I see my local Lowes has both Zsmoke and Zcombo in stock, debating picking up some anyway, I figure as soon as it is supported their low stock will go to zero.

Just wonder why two AA batteries instead of the typical one 9v.
A bit concerned about battery life.

I was thinking the same, but then the wife is going to wonder why I’m hoarding smoke detectors… Haha

I can’t wait for a hard wired one to come out so you can use one for the whole house system!!!

I already bought them due to that I needed to replace my current smoke and co detectors. They still function as should. Why pay the same price for a ?dumb? detectors when you can have this in place and be ready to implement the functionality as soon as it?s supported.

If you are interested in this as most people on the thread been posting ?cannot wait for this to be supported? and you need to replace your detectors I would suggest on getting them and place a support request.

I do not know how many support requests they have this incorporated but the more support request they have open the higher the priority for supporting the unit (at least I?m assuming).

In a few more days it will be a month since I place a support request. I can assure you I will be following up with them on that request to see if any progress has been made or at lease if they have a beta date.

Best of luck as you will probably not see anything until they release the new firmware / UI7 early next year.

• Garrett
UI7 early next year
I thought we were on UI5!?!?!? did I miss something?

Anyway [tt]early next year[/tt] is not so bad!!! where did you hear this information? Is this scoop reliable? :slight_smile:

We are on UI5. See this post for starters:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16777.msg134227.html#msg134227

• Garrett

thanks for pointing me to this thread… I didn’t read it all yet, but I will. Lots of good information.

I bought two ZCOMBOs but haven’t opened them since I noticed they were battery only. I might end up over-paying for the NEST if that is the only solution that offers a hard-wire connection. I prefer hard-wiring them with a battery backup (of course I may say differently once I’m crawling above the ceiling running 110VAC power to each one). I just don’t want to rely on a wireless connection between smokies to sound all when one is tripped, and who knows what the battery life will be.

It is a tough decision considering you can get 3 ZCOMBOs for the price of a NEST. While the NEST looks a little “nicer” (less like a smokie), it is still something surface mounted to your ceiling. Considering that CO2 detectors have a life span of 5-7 years I suppose I should just install the ZCOMBOs from First Alert and move to Homeseer for a better chance of getting it working with a system.

[quote=“shady, post:55, topic:176811”]I bought two ZCOMBOs but haven’t opened them since I noticed they were battery only. I might end up over-paying for the NEST if that is the only solution that offers a hard-wire connection. I prefer hard-wiring them with a battery backup (of course I may say differently once I’m crawling above the ceiling running 110VAC power to each one). I just don’t want to rely on a wireless connection between smokies to sound all when one is tripped, and who knows what the battery life will be.

It is a tough decision considering you can get 3 ZCOMBOs for the price of a NEST. While the NEST looks a little “nicer” (less like a smokie), it is still something surface mounted to your ceiling. Considering that CO2 detectors have a life span of 5-7 years I suppose I should just install the ZCOMBOs from First Alert and move to Homeseer for a better chance of getting it working with a system.[/quote]

The problem with even the hardwired Nest Protect is that they still only connect wirelessly to sound all of the alarms. They are not able to use the interconnect wire that other hardwired smoke alarms use.

Hello All - New to VeraLite, not so new to digital systems.

Like many of you, just added the ZCOMBO detector to the Vera. Was able to use the posts here to pair and wake it. (Thanks, everyone!) But like the rest, I don’t get much further. I opened a ticket to ask the Vera folks to configure my device. I’ll let you know what happens.

Melsman

I have officially given up on waiting for Vera to add support for this detector, and instead bought myself two shiny new Nest Protect detectors for Christmas. :slight_smile:

Time to start playing with the new toys…

I followed up on my open request on the 20th and received this response on the 26th:
?My colleagues from the development team are still working on this issue and once it?s fixed a new firmware should be released.
Once that happens you will receive an update on your trouble ticket.
I?m sorry for the inconvenience this might have caused you.?

I also received the following:

[i]At the moment the First Alert Smoke sensor can be added on the Vera unit but it won’t work as it uses a a new z-wave command class that’s not yet supported by Vera.

Our development team is working on adding support for that and once it’s added we will release a beta firmware which will allow those sensors to work.[/i]

At least they’re seeing people are interested in it being supported, maybe it’ll move up the enhancement list. I also asked when the beta firmware will drop. We’ll see if I get a response.