First Alert CO/Fire Detector

I just open a support call as well but not sure I will hold my breath they have been very slow to respond. This would be a great addition to VERA if they can get it to work

Scott

Gave Up and picked up a smart things hub and Connected my Locks and the Smoke Detector to it…

At CES, Vera people say the First Alert detectors, like all Z-wave Alliance products, will be compatible with Vera. They claim they did not have advance notice that the detectors were coming to market, hence the delay in getting the protocols working.

Did they give you any info as to WHEN they would be compatible? I’d buy a few, IF I knew they were going to work, but not if I have to just have them sit on a desk… I ask this because I asked MCV if they have a list of functional Z-Wave devices, and the answer I got back is “All Z-Wave devices work with Vera.” Right.

Did they give you any info as to WHEN they would be compatible? I’d buy a few, IF I knew they were going to work, but not if I have to just have them sit on a desk… I ask this because I asked MCV if they have a list of functional Z-Wave devices, and the answer I got back is “All Z-Wave devices work with Vera.” Right.[/quote]

As far as a list of functional Z-Wave devices you can take a look at http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Supported_Hardware. Note that it is a community based wiki.

Thanks, that’s very helpful.

I’m told by the MiOS folks at CES, that if you install the MiOS Utility Update app, it will automatically push the latest product updates and that the First Alert detectors should then pair properly with Vera.

I can’t test this until I return home.

EDIT: Before installing the MiOS Utility Update, see this thread about potential problems: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,24900.0.html

Good luck.

[quote=“Lonestar10, post:67, topic:176811”]I’m told by the MiOS folks at CES, that if you install the MiOS Utility Update app, it will automatically push the latest product updates and that the First Alert detectors should then pair properly with Vera.

I can’t test this until I return home.[/quote]

Thanks for the update!

You said pair properly, does this also mean full functionality. I currently have the devices listed in my vera as misc devices.

I will also give it a try this weekend.

I did some investigating and I’m under the impression that you cannot trigger the alarm to go off via Vera.

That would be a shame because I would want to signal all my detectors to go off when any of them detect smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote=“jd, post:68, topic:176811”][quote=“Lonestar10, post:67, topic:176811”]I’m told by the MiOS folks at CES, that if you install the MiOS Utility Update app, it will automatically push the latest product updates and that the First Alert detectors should then pair properly with Vera.

I can’t test this until I return home.[/quote]

Thanks for the update!

You said pair properly, does this also mean full functionality. I currently have the devices listed in my vera as misc devices.

I will also give it a try this weekend.[/quote]

I installed the utility update plugin and rebooted the vera. Removed a smoke detector and Added it again, still shows up as misc device.

Unless I’m doing something wrong with the plugin.

I had no luck either. I guess they STILL haven’t pushed the update.

I wanted at least one working smoke detector now so I bought an everspring sf813 from thesmartesthouse.com for $56.95 shipped. Works good so far. Costs almost twice as much as the zsmoke so I don’t plan on buying more. I’ll buy the zsmoke when it’s fixed.

I wonder why Mios said that they were going to work on this and then did not. It is really disappointing. I bought one of these thinking the solution was in the works.

I had initially planned to use the ZSMOKE and ZCOMBO when Vera supports them, but I have decided to go another way. I will be using First Alert ONELINK detectors throughout the house (Smoke and Smoke/CO Combos), along with an SA521 hardwired to AC, and with a relay to trigger a Schlage Z-Wave magnetic switch. That way, if any of the alarms trigger, it will trigger the Z-Wave switch.

Trailblazer

I am very interested in the relay setup you currently have.
Do you have a small instructional or can point me in the direction to find some more material on the topic?

specifically the “relay to trigger a Schlage Z-Wave magnetic switch”. I know how to chain smoke alarms but i am unsure how to relay to a zwave switch.
Thanks.

czgaljic, you need one of these:
http://www.smokealert.net/BRK-RM4-Relay-Module-p/h8-x0av-st0u.htm

and one of these:

and as many Onelink wireless detectors as you need.

And one of these to connect to z-wave:

I asked for an update on the support request I have open about this issue and received a response yesterday. Release time is still unknown, but was told I was placed on the beta test list. I’ll keep posting more info as I get it.

Great news. It’s nice to see that this might eventually become properly integrated though I wish the roll out was a bit faster.

So I paired the ZCOMBO and it shows as an _InwallSwitch but it never configures, all I see is:

Waiting for wakeup to configure device

[quote=“macrho, post:79, topic:176811”]So I paired the ZCOMBO and it shows as an _InwallSwitch but it never configures, all I see is:

Waiting for wakeup to configure device[/quote]

If you pull out the battery, hold down the test switch and put the battery back. It will beep and the LED will flash while it talks to Vera, beep again and should configured. But it probably still won’t be right. You will probably have to open a trouble ticket and give them access. They will make some sort of “adjustment” and it will show as a smoke detector but all of the functionality won’t be the … that’s pending then completing the support for it. The good news is that it will still function as a basic smoke/CO2 detector anyway :slight_smile: