First Alert CO/Fire Detector

the zcombo is not working for me on the veralite either, I have tried and tried to register, but never finds it

seems like it should be simple, just press and hold button in, close battery compartment, remove finger… but just doesn’t work

been talking with mios support all week and this is where we are at
“I discussed this with one of my colleagues from the development team and we need to investigate it further.
Because this smoke sensor is a newer device it might use custom z-wave command classes and we need to add support for them.”

It’s interesting that the instructions for the ZCOMBO mention that it works with other zwave products, the Zwave logo does not appear on the packaging or the device.

I could not find the zsmoke or zcombo on the first alert web site, but did find this quote

“As the most trusted and recognized brand in home safety, we’re proud to have released this connected smoke alarm as the 900th Z-Wave product. In addition, we at First Alert have released another product, in the form of a combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarm, and we look forward to developing more products that utilize Z-Wave technology,” says Sara DeLuca, product manager at First Alert.

[quote=“bdevaux, post:22, topic:176811”]been talking with mios support all week and this is where we are at
“I discussed this with one of my colleagues from the development team and we need to investigate it further.
Because this smoke sensor is a newer device it might use custom z-wave command classes and we need to add support for them.”[/quote]

thanks for the update, good to hear not just my smoke alarm, thought maybe I got a defective one

[quote=“JS007, post:24, topic:176811”]I could not find the zsmoke or zcombo on the first alert web site, but did find this quote

“As the most trusted and recognized brand in home safety, we’re proud to have released this connected smoke alarm as the 900th Z-Wave product. In addition, we at First Alert have released another product, in the form of a combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarm, and we look forward to developing more products that utilize Z-Wave technology,” says Sara DeLuca, product manager at First Alert.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/z-wave-sets-another-market-110000628.html[/quote]

This is very encouraging news!

my zcombo was seen today by Vera lite, but shows as urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:avmisc:1

so getting closer

FYI, For those that don’t need or want the CO2 part, Lowes also carries the Smoke Detector only version of this, the “ZSMOKE” for $29.97. I’m anxious to see it work in VERA, i plan to replace all six of my existing smoke detectors once it works.

I picked up a “ZSMOKE” unit at Lowes this afternoon. Set it up according to the product insert and the notes in this thread and low and behold — nothing. I tried several setup cycles to no avail. It does not show “Waiting for Wakeup …” so maybe its progress. Attached is the current “Settings” screen so it looks like it did something. Hitting “configure Now” or “Poll” results in “Delivery Failure.”

At this point I’m not sure where it stands. In trying to build a scene or set a trigger or notification it does not appear as a device and of course there are no options at this point.

just like the rest of us, we need to wait for the device to be supported by vera

Got a reply from Tech Support that they had tweaked my VERA to support my First Alert ZSMOKE. It now identifies itself as a smoke alarm and looks to have all the right settings and notifications. I need to wait until everyone is up and about the house before I can “wake it up” and test it but as of right now it looks like its headed in the right direction :slight_smile: If this is successful when I get home from an upcoming trip I’ll replace all the smoke detectors with ZSMOKE.

On thing it apparently doesn’t do (at least it isn’t in the list of actions is to allow you to “force” trip the alarms. I think this would be useful; if one goes off, VERA could send a command to trip all of them to make sure the alarm gets noticed. That’s apparently a function of First Alert’s other “wireless” product line, one trips it trips all. But it doesn’t appear to be in the ZWAVE/IRIS devices — at least it hasn’t shown up in my playing around.

I assume there will be a general update to VERA, can’t see them wanting to tweak every unit one-on-one :o

Are the smoke detectors connected with 3 wires (Black, White, and Red) ?
If so they should talk to each other over the read wire … You just need one to talk to Vera.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:32, topic:176811”]Are the smoke detectors connected with 3 wires (Black, White, and Red) ?
If so they should talk to each other over the read wire … You just need one to talk to Vera.[/quote]

No, these are only battery operated, nothing but ZWAVE.

First Alert apparently has a line of wireless detectors that communicate with each other over some radio setup but only among themselves, no central controller or anything. If one trips it sends a signal and they all go off.

But it doesn’t LOOK like they incorporated the ability to remotely trip the alarm into the IRIS/ZWAVE product line — at least it isn’t exposed in the action options for the detector or scene setup.

It looks like there is still work to do because my smoke testing this morning did not result in any notifications or scene triggering

I’ve done some testing since Tech Support tweaked it. after several trys it APPEARS to configure, all the config data shows up in the Settings tab. The first time I did it I got some strange message “Failed Setting Special Associations” whatever thats supposed to mean :slight_smile: So I power cycled it again and this time it looks like it configured. All the fields in the Settings tab populated.

I was able to create notifications using Vera Alerts for Tripped and Battery Level and I created a scene to turn on a light and send a PushOver message when the detector tripped. But thus far I can’t get it to actually do anything. The detector goes off with smoke as expected but there are no notifications sent or lights turned on.

One more smoke test then back to Tech Support :slight_smile:

[UPDATE] There is a “Toggle State” option in the list of actions, I wonder if that “state” is “armed/disarmed” or “alarm/silent” or something else entirely? Time for some more playing around :slight_smile:

I had a reply from Tech Support today:

Hi,

I discussed with one of my colleagues from the development team and we need to investigate it further.

It seems that this smoke sensor uses custom z-wave command classes and we need to add support for them.

As far as I can see from the manual the smoke sensor doesn’t send a tripped state when it detects smoke, as it should actually send you an alarm instead.

The alarm is actually a trigger or notification that smoke was detected and it can be used to trigger a scene.

Once my colleagues from the development team fix this issue we should release a new firmware version which should add support for it. I will let you know once it will be available.

Let me know if you have other questions and I will get back to you asap.

Thanks.

Hi,
I am planning to buy ZCOMBO. However waiting to see if any one could get it to work with veralite. Please do post your success story.

Thanks

Abhinav

So as it stands these smoke/CO detectors WILL work with Vera, but only IF MiCasaVerde adds support for them, correct? Sounds very promising though as smoke/CO alarms have been on my wish list for awhile now.

A qualified yes. They seem to think that the smoke/CO2 detector uses some extended commands that they don’t support right now e.g. an “alarm” instead of a “tripped” indication. They told me that they are looking at it and will incorporate a fix in a Vera firmware update when they resolve the problem. There is no definition of how long that’s going to be :slight_smile:

Currently in Vera you can set actions on “tripped”, “Not tripped”, battery levels, etc. But so far I have not been able to get it to actually do anything when it detects smoke — its as if it doesn’t actually send the “trip” or Vera doesn’t recognize it.

The good news is that the smoke detector still functions as a smoke detector without interfacing Vera so while they are a few $$ more than “dumb” detectors they will still work. And then when Vera does support it you can make use of the new features. ::slight_smile:

I also received my FirstAlert zsmoke device and after a couple of inclusions and resets, (and me manually changing the device_file from some generic AVMISC xml, to D_SmokeSensor1.xml) my veralite was finally recognized my device but like the other guys posted here, it doesn’t seem to send a “trip” signal to my veralite when the smoke detector goes off.
Can’t wait for MCV to fix the firmware.

Nice! Any updates from MiCasaVerde with the tickets that had been opened on this or would they have to introduce a firmware update for Vera to allow these detectors to be fully integrated properly?