Ecolink Garage Door Tilt Sensor

I had it switch on the Fourth of July when people nearby were setting off fireworks. I’m not sure why, the only thing I can come up with is the concussion from the fireworks boom popped the switch in the other position. I just went out, took the unit off and flipped it a couple times and put it back up.
The odd thing is, it only happened to one of my garage door sensors, and not the other.

I’ve not had false positives with it at all so far and I’ve used it for months. Since that switch is mechanically activated, units may be more sensitive or less sensitive than others. If you get a lot of false positives, I’d suggest to contact the supplier and see if they’ll exchange it.

You have mounted the device so it’s pointing straight up and it’s not at even a slight angle when closed?
there is no play in your garage door that may cause eg the wind to tilt it slightly enough to activate it?

I had to put in a manual z-wave route, and haven’t had an issue since. Now this morning I THOUGHT I had a problem - but it turns out I really did leave the garage door open when I left home…

Just “installed” two of these. Easiest thing I’ve done on the Vera yet.

Took battery cover off, used the ‘Add Device’ section of the UI, when it said to pair I inserted the battery and kept tilting it back and forth. Recognized the device almost instantly.

A few tilts back and forth confirmed operation. Put on self adhesive on mounting plate and put the plate on the door and slid the sensor onto the plate. Easy as pie.

The hardest things were the set screws. I dropped one twice. Tough things to find on a garage floor at night!

I had to put in a manual z-wave route, and haven’t had an issue since. Now this morning I THOUGHT I had a problem - but it turns out I really did leave the garage door open when I left home…[/quote]

Interesting… seems strange that the manual route would stop false positives?

I’ve never done a manual route before. Are you simply selecting the shortest path?

I’m starting to get a few false reads on two of these. Spent this morning looking at one that was reading open when it was clearly closed. Been working great for months. Both read 100% on the battery, which seems odd, unless it really does drain that slowly.

I went out and tapped the one that was reading incorrectly, and it reset itself right away. I wonder if these get “gummed up” a bit over time? cold/bugs/dust?

any thoughts?

[quote=“tomgru, post:46, topic:178848”]I’m starting to get a few false reads on two of these. Spent this morning looking at one that was reading open when it was clearly closed. Been working great for months. Both read 100% on the battery, which seems odd, unless it really does drain that slowly.

I went out and tapped the one that was reading incorrectly, and it reset itself right away. I wonder if these get “gummed up” a bit over time? cold/bugs/dust?

any thoughts?[/quote]

Yeah, I’m getting less impressed. I had 2 of these in an empty garage for over a month… I would get false triggers way too often.

I have seemingly another dead tilt sensor. I can get it paired to my Vera but whenever I tilt the sensor, it never lights up and the vera device never changes from red to green. I’ve removed it from the network and added it a couple of times. slightly maddening

well, it appears that the 6th time is the charm, it’s working now

and it stopped working

I had to put in a manual z-wave route, and haven’t had an issue since. Now this morning I THOUGHT I had a problem - but it turns out I really did leave the garage door open when I left home…[/quote]

Interesting… seems strange that the manual route would stop false positives?

I’ve never done a manual route before. Are you simply selecting the shortest path?[/quote]

I think the manual route helps when the state change doesn’t get relayed. I have a z-wave light switch in my garage, so not just shortest path, but line of sight…

Full disclosure I am starting to have some false readings even with the manual route. A tap on the door sensor seems to resolve the issue. I might end up placing lower on the door to see if that helps…

Problem is, if you place it lower on the door, you will not get detection of when it open… the ‘tilt’ will come at a later time then when it is close to the top.

I’m considering taking these back and just using door sensors.

I haven’t had any problems since I “tapped” them both… be a good test to see how long it is before they start acting up again.

Looks like I am one of the lucky ones. Mine is behaving perfectly. No false readings and it’s tripping when the door opens. I can verify that as I have set both the sensor via Vera to alert me as well as teh Assurelink opener via the Liftmaster site.

Sigh. Seem to be back at it. one little tap sets it straight. Been hot here in Seattle (90 dg) last few days. Wonder if it’s a heat thing?

Same and higher here in Tampa Bay, Fl with high humidity. knocking on wood The sensor is still behaving perfectly.

I emailed Retailer about this… and this was there response. I’m pretty sure it’s about perfect in terms of placement, but i’ll check the metal tube when i have a chance.

[i]I assume you mounted in according to manual - arrow up.
In this particular case the reason may be get stacking executing part inside the small metal tube or angle of the the door.

This may be caused by incorrect tube angle.Please note to proper work unit must be moved from vertical to horizontal position In addition - please check metal tube angle, it should be 45 deg. from board surface.
You can gently bend it up or down ( depends in which position it get stack )[/i]

In my new home, I just installed the same 2 units I was having false positives with in my old home. So far, no false positives. The only difference is that the old doors’ center posts (where the units were mounted) was metal and on the new doors the center posts are wood.

Otherwise the mounting height/method/placement/orientation is exactly the same.

Stupid question, but could the door post by some reason have become magnetized? And as such interfering with the sensor mechanism? As everyone states a tap fixes it.

Mine is mounted on a metal door with double sided tape. Not screwed in. No issues. Those with issues, did you only use tape or screw the mounting plate on? And is the mounting location metal?

I am pretty sure I had a series of Vera restarts today caused by the Ecolink Tilt Sensor…

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,26414.0.html

I sure hope I am wrong, but if I see more of this I will try going back to a traditional z-wave door/window sensor…

[quote=“wilme2, post:59, topic:178848”]I am pretty sure I had a series of Vera restarts today caused by the Ecolink Tilt Sensor…

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,26414.0.html

I sure hope I am wrong, but if I see more of this I will try going back to a traditional z-wave door/window sensor…[/quote]

I’ve been running 2 of these sensors… no unexpected reboots.