Ecolink Garage Door Tilt Sensor

[quote=“thex”]I purchased this from for $35.
I paired it with my Vera and installed on the top panel.

It shows as a door sensor and is tripped when the panel/sensor goes over 45 degrees.
Works great!

[url=http://www.staples.com/Ecolink-Wireless-Garage-Door-Tilt-Sensor-White/product_278640]http://www.staples.com/Ecolink-Wireless-Garage-Door-Tilt-Sensor-White/product_278640[/url]
TILTZWAVE2-ECO[/quote]

How did you set up your scene to tell you when the door is closed? I have the open part but the closed isn’t working.

Does anyone have this tilt sensor working properly with UI7?

I can’t find any info on it. Any help is appreciated big time.

I had the UI7 on a vera lite I had to downgrade to ui5 to get it close to working still have not pair the device successfully yet

I just included mine. They paired very easily, but show up as motion sensors. So including them in a scene seems odd since the options are around “detects motion and armed”. I guess I’ll have to dive into PLEG. Or is this the kind of thing the Garage plugin is supposed to do?

I excluded my Ecolink and recycled it. Went to a DSC tilt switch paired to my alarm system. No more false positives or getting stuck…

Plus, I can have the alarm system chime when the door goes up or down (although I don’t have it impact ‘ready’ or cause an alarm when tripped - zone definition 24, I think)…

I got mine, and it seems to work well in my initial tests.

Now I need to figure out the best ways to utilize this thing! ;D

I almost bought some of these to replace the door sensors I’ve been using very reliably for the past few years. And then I remembered the second part of that sentence.

Tilt sensors won’t let me know if the garage door is cracked, but door sensors will… and they’re no more expensive. There’s probably a place for tilt sensors, but I don’t think that place is where they’re intended to be.

My tilt sensor is mounted at the top of the top panel. If the door goes up more than a few inches, it fires. Since my Telguard GDC comes with a door sensor, it’s a belt and suspenders type setup now. :slight_smile:

My Ecowave tilt sensor has been actuating and pairing/communicating without issue from Day 1 with my VeraLite (UI7)… But the GD tilt sensor shows up in the GUI as a MOTION DETECTION sensor rather than a DOOR OPEN/CLOSED sensor. Is there a straightforward way to change this behavior via Lua code or changing something in the .xml or .json files?

Ultimately I would like to allow a programmed scene to check the status of the door (open or closed) at a scheduled time (before bedtime) and notify me if it’s open. The Motion Detector only provides state change events as triggers to the scene programmer tool rather than ability to check the current “tripped” status.

Yes, I know I should be using PLEG - I have spent the last several days trying to get PLEG to work, but am convinced that its incompatibilities with UI7 at this point make it a huge time sink. I will gladly embrace it when UI7 bugs are worked out.

In the mean time, are there any straightforward alternatives?

Thanks!

[quote author=ntkmp42 link=topic=22497.msg211737#msg211737 date=1420511890]
My Ecowave tilt sensor has been actuating and pairing/communicating without issue from Day 1 with my VeraLite (UI7)… But the GD tilt sensor shows up in the GUI as a MOTION DETECTION sensor rather than a DOOR OPEN/CLOSED sensor. Is there a straightforward way to change this behavior via Lua code or changing something in the .xml or .json files?

[quote]

You can change the XML via the device configuration to change the device type. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the specific value to change. It’s probably in this thread or forum though. If I find it I’ll edit this post.

[quote=“ntkmp42, post:69, topic:178848”]My Ecowave tilt sensor has been actuating and pairing/communicating without issue from Day 1 with my VeraLite (UI7)… But the GD tilt sensor shows up in the GUI as a MOTION DETECTION sensor rather than a DOOR OPEN/CLOSED sensor. Is there a straightforward way to change this behavior via Lua code or changing something in the .xml or .json files?

Ultimately I would like to allow a programmed scene to check the status of the door (open or closed) at a scheduled time (before bedtime) and notify me if it’s open. The Motion Detector only provides state change events as triggers to the scene programmer tool rather than ability to check the current “tripped” status.

Yes, I know I should be using PLEG - I have spent the last several days trying to get PLEG to work, but am convinced that its incompatibilities with UI7 at this point make it a huge time sink. I will gladly embrace it when UI7 bugs are worked out.

Thanks![/quote]

Showing up as a motion device is “normal”. I haven’t seen the fix yet but would be interested also.

I would sure roll that VeraLite back to UI5. I think you are going to find all kinds of other things that make UI7 itself the real time sink.

If you just bought it you might have to call Vera support first to to turn-off Forced Update or whatever it is called that won’t let you go back to an earlier version. I just moved from a VeraLite to a new Vera3 that came with UI7, and once I got someone on the phone it only took them a minute to update the servers so I could downgrade to UI5…

I’m also trying to use the Ecolink Garage Door Tilt sensor TILT-ZWAVE2.

New user, with VeraEdge w/UI7.
The Device is set as type MotionSensor.

Rather than detecting change in status, I want to check the current status.
For example, when changing from Home to Away, if the GD is still ‘open’, send a notification.
Is there a way to request the current state of the sensor?

Also, is there anyplace that documents what the various values for parameters/variables mean (Advanced settings for the Device) ? Just as example, settings show CommFailure=1, but what does 1 indicate? Or Tripped=0, meaning what? Etc – where are they documented?

Thx!

CommFailure is indicating the sensor could not connect to Vera. the Tripped one is most likely what you are looking for. I’m assuming 0 means not tripped and 1 means tripped. Should be easy to check by tripping the sensor and then going back and checking if the value of Tripped changed.

Thanks, BOFH. I’ll need to test it out this weekend. Still looking for anywhere that the various settings’ meanings are documented for devices.

I fixed it by changing the subcategory of the sensor under the advanced params from 3 to 1. Category number needs to remain 4.
I just discovered this by also changing my siren (I have two and have been comparing their settings). Device category number and subcategory number is what you want to change.

[quote=“ntkmp42, post:69, topic:178848”]My Ecowave tilt sensor has been actuating and pairing/communicating without issue from Day 1 with my VeraLite (UI7)… But the GD tilt sensor shows up in the GUI as a MOTION DETECTION sensor rather than a DOOR OPEN/CLOSED sensor. Is there a straightforward way to change this behavior via Lua code or changing something in the .xml or .json files?

Thanks![/quote]

Thanks anhman, I made that change - the icon is different now, but the available notifications are still related to motion sensor events indicating a change of state rather than polling the state itself.

That is odd, my notifications changed from “motion detected” to “door is open” so I am assuming that it worked. I will have to double check. Did you also change the json and device files?
They should be: D_Doorsensor1.json and D_DoorSensor1.xml respectively

Ok I think I figured out how to make the Exiling Garage Door Tilt sensor act as a door sensor and not as a motion sensor in UI7:

Advanced/params
Change subcategory_num from 3 to 1
Change device_file to D_DoorSensor1.xml
Change device_json to D_DoorSensor1.json

This should change the icon and classification of the sensor.
After doing this the sensors does react upon open and closing of the door like a door sensor but is not able to trigger scenes.

I had to do the following under the Variables Tab:
Change NodeInfo by adding “20” so it should look like this: 20,30,70,71,72,80,84,85,86,
This fixes the scene trigger
To change to the polling state Vs change state capabilities need to be changed to
83,156,0,4,32,1,R,B,RS,|32,48:1,112,113:2,114,128,132:2,133,134,
Basically adding the 32 after the column.

Hope this helps!

I apologize for the length of this post in advance…

I wanted to post my experiences with this Ecolink Garage Door Tilt Sensor. I installed it in my home in Florida and it worked flawlessly for about 3 months, then I started getting quite a few false triggers. I had setup Vera to text me each time the garage door opened because we were not at the home all summer. After about three months I began receiving texts that the door had opened, but I knew they were false because I had also setup a camera in the garage so I could confirm whether the garage door was actually open or closed. I figured the unit was defective so I replaced it with a new one. That was four months ago and yesterday it started acting up again. Twelve texts were sent out indicating the door had opened twelve times. Two texts in the early AM hours and ten during the afternoon. The door hadn’t opened any of those times except when my wife left in the morning which it reported correctly.

The main purpose for the sensor when we’re home is as follows: When Vera gets a trigger that the garage door is open it checks if the time is after sunset but before sunrise. If outside those times it simply exits. If within those times it immediately turns on the inside garage lights, driveway lights, front door lights, and living area lights at 50%. Two minutes after the garage door closes Vera turns off the inside garage lights, driveway lights, and front door lights, but leaves the lights in the living area on. My wife loves this setup when she comes home alone after dark.

When the tilt sensor acted up at 4:00am and sent a false trigger, of course the scene turned on all of the lights as if the garage door had opened. I was out of town when this occurred and of course this woke up the wife. I don’t want that happening too often.

The batteries are supposed to last a long time (like years). I set the wakeup interval for once every 24 hours so it wouldn’t use much battery life. The door does go open several times a day. The battery indicator has always shown 100% so I’m suspicious that it doesn’t actually report that information correctly.

Like others in this string, I also want to check whether the garage door is open around bedtime and send a text notification if it’s open. Even though it shows up as a motion device I’ve successfully checked whether the door is open or closed by automatically starting a scene at a specified time (i.e 10pm) and running the following luup code:

–Check garage door sensor
–If not open then exit, otherwise run scene
local GdoorStatus = luup.variable_get(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SecuritySensor1”,“Tripped”,XX)
if (tonumber(GdoorStatus) == 0) then return false
end

The “XX” is the sensor ID number. The problem is that there isn’t any way that I can send a text notification from a scene for this device.

Does anyone have any advice about setting up text notification?