Z-Uno

Hello Vera Community,
Has anyone ever worked the new board Z-Uno for any project.
[url=https://z-uno.z-wave.me/]https://z-uno.z-wave.me/[/url]
Is it compatible with the Vera Edge.
Thanks
Regards
Dylan

No, but it looks quite interesting. There’s already a plugin which accesses Arduino-based sensors Vera Controller | MySensors - Create your own Connected Home Experience, and two under development to access the ZWave.me Razberry board or their UZB stick via openLuup: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,38297.0.html and http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,39261.0.html

So a plugin which was sort of cross between the two would make an interesting addition to the options we have for accessing ZWave devices.

They indicate Vera compatibility on their site.

If you’re familiar with Arduino, I’d say go for it. I certainly will as soon as(if) they are available in the U.S. But, if you’re not really familiar with Arduino, this is probably not for you.

Z-Uno is very useful device and full Vera support will be great.

All popular sensor types are supported by Vera. But exotic pressure/distance/radiation/… sensors are not visible in Vera.

Now it is available. Check https://z-uno.us

I think now once it is available in US, there would be more Vera Edge/Plus users and MiCasaVerde will make a better support of Z-Uno.

All popular sensor types are supported by Vera. But exotic pressure/distance/radiation/… sensors are not visible in Vera.

Now it is available. Check https://z-uno.us

I think now once it is available in US, there would be more Vera Edge/Plus users and MiCasaVerde will make a better support of Z-Uno.[/quote]

And Vera needs to get more interoperability!

[quote=“DylanBalloo, post:1, topic:193803”]Hello Vera Community,
Has anyone ever worked the new board Z-Uno for any project.
https://z-uno.z-wave.me/
Is it compatible with the Vera Edge.
Thanks
Regards
Dylan[/quote]

Good evening All,

As anyone started working with the Z-Uno card yet.

I have just placed an order for 1, hopefully my lack of experience and programming skills, won’t cripple me.

Does one need a specific Plug-In for this unit.

Dom

No plugin needed.
Hopefully the mods can start a seperate group for this.

You can also read some discussion on Z-UNO here;

[url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,49661.msg324637.html#msg324637]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,49661.msg324637.html#msg324637[/url]

some on the Home Seer forums here:

[url=https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1315013#post1315013]Z-Uno - Z-Wave + Arduino with HS3 - HomeSeer Message Board

Technical and further questions can be raised here:

[url=http://forum.z-wave.me/viewforum.php?f=3427&sid=1c8cea40e5e4cceb63e174747b0e11c5]Z-Uno - forum

You will find that you are only limited by your imagination with this device, I’m just scratching the surface and see unlimited possibilities and look forward to reading how others are using ZUNO.

not to poo poo on anyone who has a legitimate use for this device… but i don’t see the appeal at $76
you can get a nodemcu for like $2-3
this appears to be zwave + arduino = $76
nodemcu is wifi+arduino = $3
what am i missing?

Market volume?

Same could be said about Zig Bee, horses for Courses and time will tell.

[quote=“mvader, post:9, topic:193803”]not to poo poo on anyone who has a legitimate use for this device… but i don’t see the appeal at $76
you can get a nodemcu for like $2-3
this appears to be zwave + arduino = $76
nodemcu is wifi+arduino = $3
what am i missing?[/quote]

I fully agree with you about the price, I wasn’t aware of Nodemcu, I will keep it in mind.

I chose the Z-Uno, because, I am not a programmer, or an engineer, and I wanted a simple access to Z-Wave, without having to learn all the Z-Wave stuff.

Dom

What most forget is that this is native Z-Wave not WiFi, 433 or other communication frequencies and protocols.

If you want a development board to integrate directly without serial adaptors or plugins then this cuts other devices out of the loop.

With the WiFi spectrum becoming flooded, it’s easy to forget that WiFi devices and their ilk may not function correctly, while Z-Wave on it’s dedicated frequency will.

I have several projects for this in mind, one of which involves communication with a MegaA. To me that is combining the best of both worlds.

[quote=“zedrally, post:13, topic:193803”]What most forget is that this is native Z-Wave not WiFi, 433 or other communication frequencies and protocols.

If you want a development board to integrate directly without serial adaptors or plugins then this cuts other devices out of the loop.

With the WiFi spectrum becoming flooded, it’s easy to forget that WiFi devices and their ilk may not function correctly, while Z-Wave on it’s dedicated frequency will.

I have several projects for this in mind, one of which involves communication with a MegaA. To me that is combining the best of both worlds.[/quote]

if this is a product that you are trying to sell or get a kick back from, then i understand and i’m not trying to be a hater.
but to me this is very expensive and you can accomplish the same task far cheaper. for example, i’m putting in some under cabinet lighting.
I considered a native zwave solution, using the fibario rgb device, it’s $70. i purchased a node mcu for $6 and am achieving the same results.
I personally don’t have any wifi reliability issues, but I recognize that is subjective to the environment. but i have dozens of wifi devices, as well as zwave, 433 and other RF devices. I really don’t have any issues with them.
I would certainly prefer to have a native zwave solution. but the cost to implement vs going wifi is substantial. If you have the extra money then great.
but when you can buy 10 esp based arduino devices for the cost of 1 of these.
if the cost was much less (and i know that zwave chips are more expensive) then it would be more ideal.

[quote=“mvader, post:14, topic:193803”]snip

if the cost was much less (and i know that zwave chips are more expensive) then it would be more ideal.[/quote]

And this is the beauty of this device, you can have up to 10 devices all rolled into one.
USD$7.60 is pretty cheap per device.

[quote=“zedrally, post:15, topic:193803”][quote=“mvader, post:14, topic:193803”]snip

if the cost was much less (and i know that zwave chips are more expensive) then it would be more ideal.[/quote]

And this is the beauty of this device, you can have up to 10 devices all rolled into one.
USD$7.60 is pretty cheap per device.[/quote]

ahh… in certain situations, that may be an ideal solution (kitchen lighting for example). so i guess i can see a use case for this.

[quote=“mvader, post:14, topic:193803”][quote=“zedrally, post:13, topic:193803”]What most forget is that this is native Z-Wave not WiFi, 433 or other communication frequencies and protocols.

I have several projects for this in mind, one of which involves communication with a MegaA. To me that is combining the best of both worlds.[/quote]

if this is a product that you are trying to sell or get a kick back from, then i understand and i’m not trying to be a hater.
but to me this is very expensive and you can accomplish the same task far cheaper. for example, i’m putting in some under cabinet lighting.
I considered a native zwave solution, using the fibario rgb device, it’s $70. i purchased a node mcu for $6 and am achieving the same results.
I personally don’t have any wifi reliability issues, but I recognize that is subjective to the environment. but i have dozens of wifi devices, as well as zwave, 433 and other RF devices. I really don’t have any issues with them.
I would certainly prefer to have a native zwave solution. but the cost to implement vs going wifi is substantial. If you have the extra money then great.

In reading your response, I think you miss the point of the Z-uno, I would expect the learning curve of the Arduino / Z-Wave to be a lot less intense then having to learn all these different protocols, to accomplish sone of the same functions achieved by the Z-Uno.

Yes, I agree, cost is a deterrent, but I believe the Z-Uno, is made in order to simplify, and package everything into a small unit, and made to satisfy a demand by the hobbyist and not the engineers or knowledgeable programmers.

And no, I do not get a kick back from Z-Wave.

Dom

[quote=“poordom, post:17, topic:193803”]In reading your response, I think you miss the point of the Z-uno
Dom[/quote]

sure - back on page 1, my first comment was “what am i missing”.

[quote=“poordom”]With the WiFi spectrum becoming flooded, it’s easy to forget that WiFi devices and their ilk may not function correctly, while Z-Wave on it’s dedicated frequency will.

I would expect the learning curve of the Arduino / Z-Wave to be a lot less intense then having to learn all these different protocols, to accomplish sone of the same functions achieved by the Z-Uno.[/quote]

Your comments read like everything else will fail and is too involved and too complicated to be bothered with.
this z-uno is easier than other options and will never fail.
at least that is how it come across to me. thus my question about why your showing such support for a $70 device that (in my opinion) has limited use case for the money.

it was pointed out to me you could run several applications off of 1 z-uno, and that is something i didn’t think about… so in that specific use case.
to have native z-wave, i agree. a great option.
however. beyond that, if you have different applications all over your house, say automated blinds in every room.
you won’t put a $70 z-uno on each and every blind, just for the sake of having native z-wave, when you can put a $6 esp based wifi device on each one achieve the same effect.

if you have a use case where 1 device will do everything in 1 room, then great. it seems like a fine choice. but for me, most of my dozens of situations will get low cost nrf radios or esp based radios on arduinos. the programming is the same regardless of which radio i choose.

Good afternoon Mvader,

" Your comments read like everything else will fail "

I have had home automation of one kind or another for the last 30 years, hate to say this, but everything will fail at one time or another, doesn’t matter what it is.

I can’t be to explicit about the Z-Uno, since I haven’t received mine yet, but I would see the Z-Uno, located in a central location, where Analog sensor could be connected, and have the Z-Uno act a act and re-act device.

From what I understand the Z-Uno can be integrated to my Vera Plus, quite easily, I hope I am right about all this, we shall see.

Dom

Here is a SS of the 10 channel Z-UNO, i have been asked what it looks like in Vera but cannot post attachments in PM’s.