Who's at my front door? (idea)

I use Vera Alerts, and I was thinking it would be damn nice to tell me who’s at the door when the doorbell rings. How would one go about this? Well, almost everyone carries a cell phone with bluetooth on it. Not everyone, but a ton of people do.

So what if one were to put a bluetooth dongle on Vera that simply listened and logged any bluetooth devices in range. You would associate each bluetooth MAC address with the persons name.

If someone rang the doorbell:

• The plugin would do a lookup to see what devices were currently in range (excluding MAC’s of things/people who live in the house)
  • If it found one, it could send a Vera Alert that said “John Doe is at the door”
  • If it didn’t find one, it could say nothing or “An unknown person is at the door.”
  • If it was an unknown person, but you knew them, you could have a place to go in and assign any new MAC’s around that time to a name for when they stop by in the future.

Thoughts? What about if Vera was too far from the front door to get a bluetooth signal? Maybe an Android app that you could put on an old Android phone connected via wifi that would send data back to Vera? Then you could just plug the phone into a charger and stash it near the front door. My vera alerts phone is an old phone with a broken screen, you can pick these things up for super cheap.

I never leave the Bluetooth on when not in use … it uses to much power.
I do not know if I am normal. Also just because you have a bluetooth device does not mean that it will auto connect. You would have to have a willing participant and their phone.

Various people have talked about proximity sensors … nothing seems to be very useful yet.

I would recommend a camera … And have VeraAlerts send a picture.

I never leave Bluetooth on either, and I know most of my colleagues are the same. I normally only switch it on whilst in the car or when using a headset.

I leave mine on all the time.

Plus, my thought was that it wouldn’t need to connect. You’d put the bluetooth adapter into promiscuous mode and listen for probes. After further research, this probably isn’t possible because most bluetooth hardware doesn’t have promiscuous mode. You’d need a GNU Radio board to do it ($$$). However, you could do this with wifi by listening for probes and recording the MAC addresses. The problem with that is that the range is much larger, so I might see my neighbor’s phone when he’s still in his house, and wifi is something that is more likely to be turned off than bluetooth is.

Hi Signal15

I’ve been trying to do something similar. This might be of interest, maybe not, but thought I would share my progress :slight_smile:

I have a Everspring door/window sensor connected to a push button door bell, which shows up as a motion sensor device on the UI.

Once pushed it not only plays a sound via the Sonos but it also sends a Prowl notification to all family member phones to say that the door bell has been rung.

The receiving of the Prowl notification, if within the house, will wake up the phone up (if not already) and connect it to the wifi network. That connection then triggers each Family members Ping Sensor plugin device on the UI to show up and say if their phone is in the house or not.

It’s not perfect and sadly each syep can take some time, so look at it as a work in progress, but I like the potential. :wink:

Could the MS Kinect be used for this? I’m not too familiar with it but I have heard that it can identify people when they walk into a room. If so a Kinect plugin would be extremely useful.

You’d probably be better off using a Raspberry Pi with a cheap camera and one of the linux face recognition libs on it. That way you have full control over the platform and can integrate it easily with Vera. Not quite sure how one would go about integrating with Kinect.

[quote=“parkerc, post:5, topic:174383”]Hi Signal15

I’ve been trying to do something similar. This might be of interest, maybe not, but thought I would share my progress :slight_smile:

I have a Everspring door/window sensor connected to a push button door bell, which shows up as a motion sensor device on the UI.

Once pushed it not only plays a sound via the Sonos but it also sends a Prowl notification to all family member phones to say that the door bell has been rung.

The receiving of the Prowl notification, if within the house, will wake up the phone up (if not already) and connect it to the wifi network. That connection then triggers each Family members Ping Sensor plugin device on the UI to show up and say if their phone is in the house or not.

It’s not perfect and sadly each syep can take some time, so look at it as a work in progress, but I like the potential. ;)[/quote]

how did you wire the door/window sensor into the doorbell? Is it a standard house doorbell? very curious as I want to do the same.

[quote=“Mjolsen, post:8, topic:174383”][quote=“parkerc, post:5, topic:174383”]Hi Signal15

It’s not perfect and sadly each syep can take some time, so look at it as a work in progress, but I like the potential. ;)[/quote]

how did you wire the door/window sensor into the doorbell? Is it a standard house doorbell? very curious as I want to do the same.[/quote]

You just take the non-magnet side and double stick tape it in the right spot on the doorbell solenoid. The solenoid acts as a magnet when activated, and it will trip the sensor.

Actually i’ve done mine in a different way.

if you have a wired push button door bell, one that has two wires coming from it, you can connect these straight into the Everspring SM103 sensor via the internal connector boocks - following the external wired connection diagram. (http://www.domotiga.nl/attachments/487/Everspring-sm103_manual.pdf)

As a result the bell connection is always open/tripped, so when bell button is pushed, it creates a connection and that registers another tripped variable (This is opposite to a normal sensor that looks for a break in the connection.)

So basically on the UI my door bell looks tripped all the time, therefore I use RTS program logic plug in to create a condition to look for when it is pressed and tripped again, and it’s then that ‘condition’ that works as a my door bell mp3 trigger etc.

[quote=“parkerc, post:10, topic:174383”]if you have a wired push button door bell, one that has two wires coming from it, you can connect these straight into the Everspring SM103 sensor …

…, therefore I use RTS program logic plug in to create a condition to look for when it is pressed and tripped again, and it’s then that ‘condition’ that works as a my door bell mp3 trigger etc.[/quote]

With this etup are you able to activate a scene?

I bought for this a fibaro 3in1 sensor , but for the moment not able to activate a scene. Now I am thinking of buying a wall switch which can activate scenes, this one:
[url=http://www.ezhome.nl/zwave/controllers/wandzenders/z-wave-me-06443-z-wave-inbouw-wandzender.html]http://www.ezhome.nl/zwave/controllers/wandzenders/z-wave-me-06443-z-wave-inbouw-wandzender.html[/url]

Hi @cor

In my example, the use of the SM103 is not helped by the fact that it’s in a permanent tripped state.

So to get around this I have to use the Programme Logic Event Generator Plugin to create a certain condition to look for it to be tripped again.

That ‘condition’ can then be used as a trigger to activate a scene. See screenshot attached.

As for the Fibaro 3in1, if it had the ability to monitor a switch, then I see know reason why that could not be wired up to a door bell too.

In an ideal world, the device would always be in a non tripped state, and then the pressing of the bottom, bridges the contacts and that trips the device - which would then use the default Vera trigger options.

@ Parkerc: …ohhhh , that sounds interesting… I never used a trigger option in a scene before.

I am not at home for the moment , but I think this would work , there is a thingy on the sensor , where you can hook up an external switch… if it works “the other way” arround, I think it will be relative easy it make something when the button is pushed the connection is broken instead of closed…

[sub]For (my) reference, here is the “doorbell” thread:
[url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,12996.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,12996.0.html[/url][/sub]

Interesting … thanks for the hint :slight_smile:

Cor

[quote=“parkerc, post:12, topic:174383”]Hi @cor

In my example, the use of the SM103 is not helped by the fact that it’s in a permanent tripped state.

So to get around this I have to use the Programme Logic Event Generator Plugin to create a certain condition to look for it to be tripped again.

That ‘condition’ can then be used as a trigger to activate a scene. See screenshot attached.

As for the Fibaro 3in1, if it had the ability to monitor a switch, then I see know reason why that could not be wired up to a door bell too.

In an ideal world, the device would always be in a non tripped state, and then the pressing of the bottom, bridges the contacts and that trips the device - which would then use the default Vera trigger options.[/quote]

Im using a Everspring SM103 like you, and its always in “tripped” state, in the doorbell trigger scene i have it set to “device armed is not tripped” the problem is, people have to press the doorbell for for about 0.5 sec longer that you normally would. Did you have this problem? i guess the SM103 does not register the closed connection fast enough…

Hi @j0ergensen

You’re right, I also found that to use the tripped state natively (well in reverse) I also had to hold the button in for a while to give it time to trip back (to the green man) and then trip again (to the red man) on release.

So to get around that, I now use the PLEG plugin, as this allows me to I set a condition to look for a reconfirmation of the tripped state (where the red man/tripped value 1 is just sent again, which i something that seems to occur when a short press of the door bell button is made.

[quote=“parkerc, post:15, topic:174383”]Hi @j0ergensen

You’re right, I also found that to use the tripped state natively (well in reverse) I also had to hold the button in for a while to give it time to trip back (to the green man) and then trip again (to the red man) on release.

So to get around that, I now use the PLEG plugin, as this allows me to I set a condition to look for a reconfirmation of the tripped state (where the red man/tripped value 1 is just sent again, which i something that seems to occur when a short press of the door bell button is made.[/quote]

Hi @parkerc

That sounds interesting. Could you share with me how you create a condition like that in PLEG?

I dont know what to write in “condition expression”

@j0ergensen

If you have the PLEG plugin , I think this is what I did…
Please note, I’m no expert on this, but hopefully @RTS is watching so can jump in if I’ve got it wrong.

1. In the PLEG plugin go to the Trigger tab and create a new trigger that looks for that SM103 device/sensor to be be tripped and give it a name. E.g ButtonPushed

2. Next create a new condition on the Settings tab of PLEG that references that trigger name you just created e.g Condition Name = DoorBell and it looks to ButtonPushed

• You have now created a condition called DoorBell that looks for a PLEG Trigger called ButtonPushed.
  1. Now you can create a HA/Scene for when your door bell is pushed. To do that, create/set the scene trigger to be the PLEG device and then enter the Condition name you gave it in step 2 above ( DoorBell). - See my earlier post on this thread for a screenshot, just make sure the naming is the same as you used in PLEG.

Hope that helps…

@parkerc

Ok, i will test it tomorrow. Im still not sure what PLEG does :slight_smile: I dont think my technical english is good enough.

You are being very helpful. i appreciate it very much.

@parkerc

It works ! :slight_smile: i see some latency from the button is pressed till vera fires the scene… , i think it will be ok.

That great to hear, it can be slow if you ate playing a sound via something like a Sonos (which i am)
so as I have a Prowl Notification too, that always comes first …

Also, let me know if you see any ‘ghost’ triggers occur? It might be that my door bell is old and it occasionally trips the connection, but I’m not sure, so I’d be interested to hear how your performs over time.