What does it mean for a node to be "configured"?

Can someone explain to me what it means for a node to be configured?

Specifically: there’s a button under Settings that says “Configure this node now.” After clicking it, nothing obvious happens except that the status changes to “Device unable to be configured.” (I am tailing the log file on the Vera, and I can see lots of things happening there, but it points to the same result, obviously: an unconfigured node.")

What does the state “Configured” mean? What is it that I cannot do without that state being entered?

I have a lot of questions along these lines. Maybe my better question is, where is the documentation that spells this stuff out, exactly?

Some devices such as scene controllers have to be configured or programmed. Vera usually handles all of this automatically when you make changes in the GUI and click Save. Vera then goes out and configures the device, for example telling the device to activate a particular load when a scene button is pressed or telling several devices which association group they are in.

“Unable to configure” usually indicates some sort of communication issue, where Vera is not able to reliably communicate with the node that it is trying to configure or program. It may be that the node is not configured, or it may be that the confirmation that the node was configured did not make it back to Vera.

Improve your communication path between Vera and the node.

Docs.

Wiki

Support/FAQ

Thank you for your reply.

I brought the Vera physically up to that switch, even taking the switch back out of its wall box just to be sure. They were perhaps a foot apart, and still I could not get it to configure.

That said, the switch still works, even when the Vera is back in the basement. Which is why I’m puzzled about exactly what “configured” really means in technical terms.

Well, I’ll reply to my own post. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

I managed to get the device “configured.” I’m still not entirely clear exactly what that means. I’m a twenty+ year software developer, and I have a strong need to understand this at a level of detail that is apparently not documented anywhere, which is unfortunate. All I can say for sure is that unless the device is “configured,” it will show up with a red circle in the upper left corner of its dialog, and one of several error messages below it (“Device unable to be configured” or “Unable to get any information on node”). Those error messages do not appear to affect the device’s operation, however. It responded to on/off messages just fine.

To get my device (a Leviton VRCS2) configured, I first excluded it from the Z-wave network, then did a factory reset on it, then re-included it. For this step, I brought the Vera to within a few inches of the switch. My laptop was directly connected to the Vera, and I did not use the battery mode, but I’m not sure if that was critical. I wanted to remove all possible variables.

After they were included on the network, I changed their names and the rooms and saved that. Then I configured them, going to wrench → Settings → Configure this node now. I did this, again, with the Vera just a few inches away from the switch. It’s a 2-switch device, so I had to do each one in turn. Note that much of the documentation here (which is the ONLY documentation) said that I would see a scene controller and 2 switchable loads. This scene controller never showed up while pairing. But this may be a blessing, since everything I’ve seen says that once you do get this device configured, you then have to go through the trouble of creating 4 scenes if you still want to turn the lights on and off via the switch buttons in the usual way. So, now, I have two switches for the two loads that work either manually or remotely in the intuitive way.

It took a couple of tries to get them configured, but eventually it worked. And then I noticed something: a few minutes later, for a reason I don’t understand and expect to never know, they started trying to reconfigure themselves. And failing, because now, the Vera was maybe 3 feet away. I held it back up in close proximity, got them configured, and then changed them to stop automatically configuring on the Settings page. This seems to have worked. The only problem I can see is that the timestamp of when they were last configured is from 31-Dec-1969 because the Vera was not on the internet when I got them configured.

So, right now, I have what I want: a dual switch controlling two sets of overhead lights in a room, where the buttons work as I’d expect and I can control them remotely.

I also have a lot of frustration, which I should maybe save for another time. But in general, I think it’s unfair to market the Vera as a consumer device for the general population. The quality of the software and the scarcity of the documentation make this feel much more like a homebrew/DIY type system. I think a very, very tiny sliver of the population wants to deal with ssh’ing their way into the box and tailing something in /var/log/cmh to understand what’s going on. I’m going to be looking into alternative controllers; this feels too much like my day job.

There may be a bunch of things Vera attempts to do; when any one of those fails, she considers the device ‘not configured’. It does not necessarily mean that a basic on/off does not work. I suppose only the logs may give a clue as to what it is that failed.

I wonder if your particular situation is triggered by not having the scene controller part of the VRCS2 device.

In your current environment, do the LEDs on the VRCS2 function properly?

Also, with some devices, including the 4-button Leviton zone controller, I’ve had them in a state where they would not function / respond properly (in my case: zone control worked, but not the LEDs!) and the only thing that helped was cycle the power to the device.

The LEDs are working correctly.

To be clear: while my device isn’t working the way it is supposed to, it is working well enough for me. I can live without the scene controller; in fact, it may be making my life easier since the scenes I would program would mirror the way it’s working now, with the additional lag and risk of missed messages. So, I’m good. But I will not be buying any more of this particular device.

Is it unusual that the device would respond to on/off messages but not to configuration request messages from the same distance? Is there a difference in the carrier or “layer 1” mechanism between the two?

This is interesting as I had a similar problem with a Frostdale 2 button switch after I tried to configure it.
No matter what I tried, the only solution to removing the Red warning button was to revert to the last known “good” backup.

Problem now solved, but I still don’t know why I wasn’t able to configure the node.
I’m suspecting that as it’s a 2 button switch in one, that only 1 switch requires configuring (which it has done), perhaps something to do with a Master/Slave combination, it’s really odd when you see 1 configured, the other not (& unable to be configured to boot).

Interesting. So, including when you toggle a switch through Vera, the corresponding LED will come on. (I wonder what state the scene controller is in. As that is the device with the LEDs.)

To be clear: while my device isn't working the way it is supposed to, it is working well enough for me.
Yup; understood.
Is it unusual that the device would respond to on/off messages but not to configuration request messages from the same distance? Is there a difference in the carrier or "layer 1" mechanism between the two?
Well, in general, your observation has been reported before (that 'nothing' appears to work in terms of configuring a device, but basic functionality is fine). For the Leviton controllers, from what has been reported here on the forum, I think folks are more successful in including these devices with Vera nearby (and some have reported not getting the scene controller part also). There is the notion of power levels, but I don't know if it is relevant.

Personally, I haven’t had much trouble with my VRCS2’s. I did successfully try a reconfigure just now, on one that is perhaps 25ft away from Vera.

Interesting. So, including when you toggle a switch through Vera, the corresponding LED will come on. (I wonder what state the scene controller is in. As that is the device with the LEDs.)[/quote]
That’s correct. I’m not sure what state it’s in, either, other than Illinois. :slight_smile:

Thanks much for the help!