What About Z-Wave Smoke Detector

I have seen a few of these devices emerging recently. What are advantages of these units? Is it only they communicate with each via Z-Wave and all sound an alarm if one does, or am I missing something?

How about get a SMS or email message if your smoke detector went off and you weren’t home.
Besides sounding the alarm, have all the lights in your house flash on and off.
Or any other automation step you might want.

I have one ZSMOKE running right now and alerts configured for SMS and Pushover in the event it trips. It’s also configured to turn on all the lights if it trips.

That sounds great. I will need to have 3 smoke detectors. One on each floor of the house. So I assume if one triggers you can make the other two sound the alarm too!

I like the idea of push notifications. I’m still researching z-wave before buying things. How do you get a push notification like and email or a text message. They sound incredibly useful.

Many thanks.

I wouldn’t buy a smoke alarm from the vera store. They don’t respond to requests to replace defective items.

[quote=“col8eral, post:4, topic:181391”]That sounds great. I will need to have 3 smoke detectors. One on each floor of the house. So I assume if one triggers you can make the other two sound the alarm too!

I like the idea of push notifications. I’m still researching z-wave before buying things. How do you get a push notification like and email or a text message. They sound incredibly useful.

Many thanks. [/quote]

The current Vera support for the First Alert ZSMOKE/ZCOMBO detectors is basic. But it does what I wanted, allowed me to send a notification and turn on lights for a path out of the house.

The devices have an extended command set that is not currently supported in Vera (but will be “real soon now” :slight_smile: ). What that extended command set will do is unknown to me at this point. It would be nice if they can be setup to have the alarm activated by Vera but to the best of my knowledge there is no information about what it will ACTUALLY do. I’ve held off buying any more until Vera provides support so the rest of my smoke detectors are the old fashioned room-at-a-time kind.

Hi All,
I have been keeping an eye out for a Z-Wave Smoke/CO detector, and I knew FirstAlert had one in the works. I came across a new one from them this morning, but I can’t find it on the FirstAlert website. Its model number 1JAZCOMBOG and its sold on several sites including Amazon and Staples. The sites both say “Alarm can be integrated into your Z-wave system to alert you via SMS text & e-mail”. Is this the one we have been waiting for? Does anyone have any experience with this and MiCasaVerde controllers yet? Any feedback would be welcome. I pasted a couple links below, but Amazon only has one left, so who knows how long they will work for.

Thanks!!
-Wayd

http://www.staples.com/First-Alert-Combination-Photoelectric-Smoke-Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm-White/product_278656

It’s a bit of a pain for me at the moment as Im having a loft extension and the regulations say I have to have a detector on each floor and they all have to trigger in a detection event. One way or the other I have to buy three of them, but would prefer it to be z-wave. But I can only get z-wave if it meets the regulations. ???

[quote=“clippermiami, post:6, topic:181391”]The current Vera support for the First Alert ZSMOKE/ZCOMBO detectors is basic. But it does what I wanted, allowed me to send a notification and turn on lights for a path out of the house.

The devices have an extended command set that is not currently supported in Vera (but will be “real soon now” :slight_smile: ). What that extended command set will do is unknown to me at this point. It would be nice if they can be setup to have the alarm activated by Vera but to the best of my knowledge there is no information about what it will ACTUALLY do. I’ve held off buying any more until Vera provides support so the rest of my smoke detectors are the old fashioned room-at-a-time kind.[/quote]

Is this the same as the Lowes’ Iris one? I thought these doesn’t work with Vera at the moment…

[quote=“bigmonkey70, post:9, topic:181391”][quote=“clippermiami, post:6, topic:181391”]The current Vera support for the First Alert ZSMOKE/ZCOMBO detectors is basic. But it does what I wanted, allowed me to send a notification and turn on lights for a path out of the house.

The devices have an extended command set that is not currently supported in Vera (but will be “real soon now” :slight_smile: ). What that extended command set will do is unknown to me at this point. It would be nice if they can be setup to have the alarm activated by Vera but to the best of my knowledge there is no information about what it will ACTUALLY do. I’ve held off buying any more until Vera provides support so the rest of my smoke detectors are the old fashioned room-at-a-time kind.[/quote]

Is this the same as the Lowes’ Iris one? I thought these doesn’t work with Vera at the moment…[/quote]

Yes, I got mine at Lowes from their Iris line. It does work with Vera although I had to request Tech support to “tweak” my Vera to recognize it. took about 24 hours.

Are you sure it sends out the SMS or push messages? I also have one and it will include and the configuration is there for the notifications however It won’t trigger SMS or push messages in an alarm state…

Sent from my iPhone

[quote=“kiethr, post:11, topic:181391”]Are you sure it sends out the SMS or push messages? I also have one and it will include and the configuration is there for the notifications however It won’t trigger SMS or push messages in an alarm state…

Sent from my iPhone[/quote]

The alerts are sent via the Pushover Plugin and the Twilio Plugin and managed Vera Alerts

maybe i have something set up wrong. I also use vera alerts and it doesn’t send the mesage. I will have to investigate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[quote=“kiethr, post:13, topic:181391”]maybe i have something set up wrong. I also use vera alerts and it doesn’t send the mesage. I will have to investigate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/quote]

You can create the notification in either the device control panel or a PLEG which is where mine are done. Vera Alerts can manage the alert to go to whomever you want.

For example I have some pseudo-users defined in Vera:
Notify-Normal
Notify-Travel

The PLEG that manages it checks the GCal Sensor to see if we are traveling. If we are it uses the “Notify-Travel” pseudo-user which in this case is configured to send SMS to our kids but not to my wife and me. Notify-Normal sends SMS to all four phones. This way I do not get a bunch of routine messages such as “Alarm Armed/Disarmed,” “Postal Mail Received,” etc. when I’m traveling but I do when I’m at home.

Vera Alerts is set up to send SMS to all four phones for “Notify-Normal” and to the kids only for “Notify-Travel.”

In the case of the Smoke Detector, if it trips the PLEG is configured to a) turn on most of the interior and exterior lights, andb) send a “Smoke Detector Tripped” message via SMS, Pushover and SMTP to all the family members. (This same logic is used for “Alarm Violated” if the alarm system is tripped.)

Hi col8eral,

Do the regulations say that the sensors need to conform to a certain standard? I also think you might have trouble making one sensor trigger the other two with a z-wave smoke sensor, I know that the Fibaro one can’t do this.

Deleted

[quote=“EarlyMorningHours, post:16, topic:181391”]For those who have any sort of functionality from the ZCOMBO, consider yourself fortunate. I put in a

And I just don’t feel like going to UI6 just to see if it works in that environment.[/quote]

Don’t bother; it doesn’t. They told me that the firmware was expected out at the end of June, but I can assure you that I will NOT be the first one jumping to try it.

Deleted

I can confirm that Neither UI5 nor UI7 Beta 2 supports the First Alert ZSMOKE smoke detector.
As the forum users described earlier in this thread, you can force Vera to think that the device is a smoke detector. However, it will still not correctly trigger scenes when the alarm is tripped. This device sends a custom COMMAND_CLASS_ALARM ALARM_REPORT type 12 level 255 message when the siren sounds. The LuaUPnP engine writes a log message but otherwise ignores this type of alarm. Unfortunately, this is the type of change which really requires the attention of Mios’s core programmers to add support for this device. In the meantime, find a different controller to go with your ZSMOKE.

[quote=“gengen, post:19, topic:181391”]I can confirm that Neither UI5 nor UI7 Beta 2 supports the First Alert ZSMOKE smoke detector.
As the forum users described earlier in this thread, you can force Vera to think that the device is a smoke detector. However, it will still not correctly trigger scenes when the alarm is tripped. This device sends a custom COMMAND_CLASS_ALARM ALARM_REPORT type 12 level 255 message when the siren sounds. The LuaUPnP engine writes a log message but otherwise ignores this type of alarm. Unfortunately, this is the type of change which really requires the attention of Mios’s core programmers to add support for this device. In the meantime, find a different controller to go with your ZSMOKE.[/quote]

It is really a shame that we can’t get this device supported by MCV. We have been talking about this addition to UI7 for months.

Don