What About Z-Wave Smoke Detector

While I agree that MCV should have added support for this detector for all UIs by now, I would like to point out that discussing it here is not letting MCV know anything.

I would recommend creating a bug report at http://bugs.micasaverde.com

Deleted

Another idea I’ve previously read that I quite liked but have not researched it’s benefits further is to have your zwave system stop your HVAC system if the smoke alarm goes off. This prevents circulation of the smoke throughout the house if you’re heating or air is one during a fire.

A return vent in one room will potentially pass the smoke throughout the entire house.

Another point I would like to add is I think I’ve seen 2 smoke detector devices that “work” with our Vera but they are all battery only. Anyone see any product that supports the electrical connection and battery as backup?

I’m wondering also if the Nest smoke detector has had any changes recently as well. I know people on this forum and a friend has the Nest thermostat working.

The only downside is I have 8 smoke detectors and $150 or whatever for the Nest is quite pricey.

[quote=“tomtcom, post:24, topic:181391”]Another point I would like to add is I think I’ve seen 2 smoke detector devices that “work” with our Vera but they are all battery only. Anyone see any product that supports the electrical connection and battery as backup?

I’m wondering also if the Nest smoke detector has had any changes recently as well. I know people on this forum and a friend has the Nest thermostat working.

The only downside is I have 8 smoke detectors and $150 or whatever for the Nest is quite pricey.[/quote]
The FirstAlert detectors don’t yet work with Vera, so they’re out. To make my home code compliant with Nest smoke detectors would cost over $800. That just doesn’t make sense to me.

For far less money, you can use standard interconnected smoke alarms such as the
Kidde i4618 Firex Hardwire Ionization Smoke Detector with Battery Backup
or the
2 Pack Of Kidde KN-COSM-IB Hardwire Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm with Battery Backup and Voice Warning
along with a
BRK RM4 Smoke Alarm Accessory Relay
and a
Schlage RS100HC Door and Window Sensor
to Z-Wave enable your smoke alarms. For my installation, equivalent to the Nest I referred to previously, that’s only $360.

There’s a good how-to write up in this old thread, Success! Interfacing my smoke detector/CO with VeraLite

Thanks for this, I’ll read it over!

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:25, topic:181391”][quote=“tomtcom, post:24, topic:181391”]Another point I would like to add is I think I’ve seen 2 smoke detector devices that “work” with our Vera but they are all battery only. Anyone see any product that supports the electrical connection and battery as backup?

The only downside is I have 8 smoke detectors and $150 or whatever for the Nest is quite pricey.[/quote]
The FirstAlert detectors don’t yet work with Vera, so they’re out. To make my home code compliant with Nest smoke detectors would cost over $800. That just doesn’t make sense to me.

For far less money, you can use standard interconnected smoke alarms such as the
Kidde i4618 Firex Hardwire Ionization Smoke Detector with Battery Backup
or the
2 Pack Of Kidde KN-COSM-IB Hardwire Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm with Battery Backup and Voice Warning
along with a
BRK RM4 Smoke Alarm Accessory Relay
and a
Schlage RS100HC Door and Window Sensor
to Z-Wave enable your smoke alarms. For my installation, equivalent to the Nest I referred to previously, that’s only $360.

There’s a good how-to write up in this old thread, Success! Interfacing my smoke detector/CO with VeraLite[/quote]