VeraPlus + Zstick

How do i set up the VeraPlus to use a Zstick instead of the internal radio?

Thanks.

Go to the Z-Wave Settings page and change the Port from /dev/ttyS0(the internal radio interface) to whatever device path is assigned to your Z-Stick. The path is typically /dev/ttyUSB0 but it may be different depending on your setup, if other USB devices are plugged in.

You can verify what the path is by SSHing into your Vera and running dmesg | grep -i ttyUSB after plugging in the Z-Stick.

Assuming the zstick has to be pugged into the vera’s usb port, what would be the value-added to doing that? ???

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:2, topic:194684”]Go to the Z-Wave Settings page and change the Port from /dev/ttyS0(the internal radio interface) to whatever device path is assigned to your Z-Stick. The path is typically /dev/ttyUSB0 but it may be different depending on your setup, if other USB devices are plugged in.

You can verify what the path is by SSHing into your Vera and running dmesg | grep -i ttyUSB after plugging in the Z-Stick.[/quote]

Excellent, thank you. I should be able to figure this out and get it going.

Will it use the same port everytime it is plugged in, or will I need to do this everytime?

Thanks!

I’ll be able to do z-wave inclusions without dorking with the Vera itself and extending power & network just to get vera close to the zwave devices.

I’m new to Vera and Linux.

I’ve opened a SSH connection to my Vera.

Whan I run “dmesg | grep -i ttyUSB” I get nothing back.

I’m connected as root user.

Is there a list of common SSH commands and variables?

As @Chapin described he will use it for increased portability. Th eportability isn;t only for inclusion. He can also plug his Z-Stick into another controller/computer and be able to instantly control any Z-Wave device on his network without excluding and including to a new controller. Or he could do Over the Air(OtA) firmware updates on Aeon Z-Wave Plus devices. It can also be used should the built-in Z-Wave chip fail or if you need your Vera to use a non-native frequency, such as taking a U.S. Vera to Australia.

Yes, it will use the same port every time. A possible exception is if you plug in other USB devices that may change the detected order.

Assuming that there are no typos, it’s possible that your stick was not detected or that it was detected as something besides ttyUSB.

Try running just dmesg by itself. That should produce a lot of output that will likely be too much noise for your experience level. Perhaps a better way would be to:

• remove the Z-Stick
  • run dmesg and note the last line or two
  • plug in the Z-Stick
  • run dmesg again and find the previous last lines. Anything that follows those lines are a result of your Z-Stick plug in and should contain the device path.
Is there a list of common SSH commands and variables?
SSH is a connectivity tool, like telnet. The commands(dmesg and grep) are Linux(BusyBox) and there are lots of resources for those on the net.

Thanks for all of your help. This is really useful. Once I get Zwave working, I’m staying out of SSH!

It seems to see the USB Stick. These are the lines from dmesg. It seems to be on “usb 1-1”, If I am reading where a device has been unplugged then plugged back in. I presume that the “device number x” value isn’t critical to Vera addressing it. The same device gets a new number. See the text below.

Any idea if my string should be /dev/ttyUSB0? I tried it and also /dev/ttyUSB1. Neither works.

Thanks!

[ 1522.592000] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 4
[ 1612.808000] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci-hcd
[ 1612.836000] add_ep parameters, dev_speed 2, is_in 1, isTT 0, ep_type 3, maxp 8, interval 256, burst 0, mult 0, ep 0x8d724500, ep_ctx 0xad108080, sch_ep 0x8f69e300
[ 1612.864000] [DBG] BPKTS: 1, BCSCOUNT: 0, BBM: 1
[ 1612.864000] [DBG] BOFFSET: 0, BREPEAT: 0
[ 1612.864000] add_ep parameters, dev_speed 2, is_in 1, isTT 0, ep_type 2, maxp 32, interval 1, burst 0, mult 0, ep 0x8d2b9480, ep_ctx 0xad1080c0, sch_ep 0x8f69e880
[ 1612.892000] [DBG] BPKTS: 1, BCSCOUNT: 0, BBM: 1
[ 1612.892000] [DBG] BOFFSET: 0, BREPEAT: 0
[ 1612.892000] add_ep parameters, dev_speed 2, is_in 0, isTT 0, ep_type 2, maxp 32, interval 1, burst 0, mult 0, ep 0x8d2b94ac, ep_ctx 0xad1080a0, sch_ep 0x8d2b9100
[ 1612.924000] [DBG] BPKTS: 1, BCSCOUNT: 0, BBM: 1
[ 1612.924000] [DBG] BOFFSET: 0, BREPEAT: 0

The string you should use will actually be displayed in those lines. But, it’s not there. The posted results indicate that your Vera’s kernel sees a USB device being plugged in, but it doesn’t recognize the device. This usually means that there is no appropriate driver for the device.

I vaguely recall some sort of issue with USB drivers missing from an earlier version of UI6 or 7. If you’re not running a recent version, you might consider upgrading. Or you might call support for help.

Thanks. Will call support.

I’m running the latest version, 1.7.2139.

This behaved the same on an Edge running the same firmware.

[75149.810000] usb 2-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using ohci-platform
[75150.040000] usb 2-1: no of_node; not parsing pinctrl DT
[75150.050000] cdc_acm 2-1:1.0: no of_node; not parsing pinctrl DT
[75150.050000] cdc_acm 2-1:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is no t a modem.
[75150.070000] cdc_acm 2-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

Nope, that’s different output.

That one says that the USB device is at /dev/ttyACM0

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:12, topic:194684”]Nope, that’s different output.

That one says that the USB device is at /dev/ttyACM0[/quote]

Wow, there it is right in front of me!

That device, in my Edge, works. Very cool, this proves my Zstick is good.

Thanks for all of your help, I’ll take this up with support.

I never thought about this, but it is a good idea especially since I’ve been toying with leaving vera for openhab. Does vera transfer the existing network from the internal chip when doing this or are there additional steps for that?

I want to loop back and say that tech support sorted this out.

It was indeed the driver was missing or corrupt or old. Tech support installed a new one and I now have the ZStick Devices appearing in Vera now.

This did create to usb devices, /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1

/dev/ttyUSB1 is the one that works for me.

Additional steps are required required. However, it is not a difficult process to add the Z-Stick to the existing Vera Z-Wave network and get a copy of it onto the Z-Stick.

@Chapin - Glad to hear that you got it working.

Kudos to tech support for resolving your issue so quickly. I hadn’t even realized that they had added weekend service hours.

My zstick died and I am unable to get the new one to work with my VeraPlus. It works with my VeraEdge.

I cannot change the Z-Wave Port Setting. It is stuck on “/dev/ttyUSB1” which was correct for the old zstick. Looking at SSH console, it appears to now be “/dev/ttyACM0” (same as it was for both Zsticks on my veraEdge). I cannot set it to either “/dev/ttyACM0” or the default internal radio, “/dev/ttyS0”. When I try to change it, I get this message:“Failed to save system configuration.”

What am I missing here? I used to be able to make this change. Other changes seem to work.

the new zstick works well on my Vera Edge and also on the PC with the Zensys diagnostic tool.

I’m getting the “Failed to save system configuration” when I try to create a new scene. This seems deeper than the zstick.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

It’s a FW bug. One of many.

You need to report it to CS, the more that do then the faster it gets fixed.

[quote=“zedrally, post:19, topic:194684”]It’s a FW bug. One of many.

You need to report it to CS, the more that do then the faster it gets fixed.[/quote]

I did, but would like a faster resolution. Do they realize this is the core of our automation systems and should have close to 100% uptime? And fast resolution when it does fail?

Nothing has changed on the Vera Plus between my two Zsticks, unless it auto updated in the 2 months I was without zstick. Does the Vera Plus auto update?