VeraEdge wifi setup how to,hard rest

I decided to take advantage of the wifi interface to put the controller 5feet from devices to pair… I set up the wpa2 password etc. and re-powered. Now no matter what I do (included plugging the network cable in) I cannot connect.

I assumed (what other choice is there with no documentation) that I could reset the ethernet parameters with the master reset switch. There were two documented methods for resetting the vera 3 and vera2. One was push the button twice, the other was hold for ten seconds. I tried both numerous times but still cannot connect. This is the paper lip accessible button I am pressing. I can feel it click.

Can someone advise me how to hard reset without an ethernet connection?

Has anyone been successful in getting the wifi to work?

The alternative is to get a 100 foot cable so that I can put the controller next to the device to be paired.

I know at fist both my wifi and cable were working before I disabled wifi

can try a app like this, free for windows and linux

I always double click existing items and say I know this device so turns green, then any new devices wifi or not that are new on my network show as red

Turns out this is a wifi hotspot. That is you can connect to it from a client.

I was able to connect to the mios wireless network. It gave me a router ip of 192.168.81.1.

I was then able to connect to connect to http://192.168.81.1/cmh/#dashboard from there a was able to connect devices with the base unit right next to the device.

My experience so far is that if you are not right next to the device when you pair it the failure most often leads to a system which is complete confused, For me it thought my thermostat was a wall switch. The got cross mapped somehow and the wall switch was gone.

Bear in mind that once you do this you can’t do anything with the wired port. That is the web server on the wired port is inactive. Based on the router dhcp table the Vera is not even requesting an address.

[quote=“IUknown, post:3, topic:185058”]Turns out this is a wifi hotspot. That is you can connect to it from a client.

I was able to connect to the mios wireless network. It gave me a router ip of 192.168.81.1.

I was then able to connect to connect to http://192.168.81.1/cmh/#dashboard from there a was able to connect devices with the base unit right next to the device.

My experience so far is that if you are not right next to the device when you pair it the failure most often leads to a system which is complete confused, For me it thought my thermostat was a wall switch. The got cross mapped somehow and the wall switch was gone.

Bear in mind that once you do this you can’t do anything with the wired port. That is the web server on the wired port is inactive. Based on the router dhcp table the Vera is not even requesting an address.[/quote]

did you have the dhcp server active on vera, I disabled that to force it to use the dhcp server on the router

with the 81.1, sounds like while on wifi, your vera is creating it’s own internal network, wonder if turning off firewall would turn off NAT

when the cable is in though, should still have a IP that is different then 192.168.81.1, that you can connect to from non-vera wifi devices

with the above app you should be able to see that IP if not connect to vera wifi, but only be able to see the 192.168.81.1 while connect to the vera’s wifi

just tested with dhcp and firewall disabled, I got a local IP from the router, so NAT must be disabled when firewall is disabeld

also was able to connect to the vera’s original ip in browser this way

ETA : as seen below

be sure to disable DHCP server if disabling firewall

*** if leaving dhcp server enabled, be sure to change the IP range to a unused range and same gateway as the router… if not, it could cause your vera to lose network connectivity

My system is really hosed now. I cannot connect to it at all. Really need to know for sure how to hard reset it. I cannot get it to hard reset. I am trying to be patient as others have stated it takes a long time.

not sure how to reset it (only docs I see are for older vera’s)

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Factory_Reset

are you trying to connect while in wifi to device or are you using a hardwired connection for both vera and you pc\laptop?

as you were using NAT in the wifi mode, it will make a difference in what IP will allow you to connect

hard wire connection for both is the most sure way to get in as that ip is supplied by your router for both your device and the vera

have you tried to connect to getvera to logon, it may find it too (while laptop\pc not on the vera’s wifi)

https://home.getvera.com/users/login

Yes I keep going all the way back to getvera. It is not getting an IP address from my router so it’s pretty hosed. I am still trying to get it to reset.

yeah, sounds like you need a reset if you can’t see the wifi or lan connection, maybe someone from here will post how to do that, I have never done before, but it would be nice to know for cases like yours…

looking at the leds on box, the second led from back flashes like crazy when on network, might help you see if it ever goes back on network, when I unplug it goes out

According to this post from a moderator the Vera is acting as a DHCP server on the wire as well:
[s]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9949.msg73958.html#msg73958[/s]

So I think that the reason I can’t connect to wireless is due to security issues aka it never asks for the password…so maybe I can connect via wire. Meanwhile I am trying to factory reset it and waiting patiently. There is another post which states you need to press the button with a paper clip while plugging it in but it takes a long time.

[quote=“IUknown, post:10, topic:185058”]According to this post from a moderator the Vera is acting as a DHCP server on the wire as well:
[s]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9949.msg73958.html#msg73958[/s]

So I think that the reason I can’t connect to wireless is due to security issues aka it never asks for the password…so maybe I can connect via wire. Meanwhile I am trying to factory reset it and waiting patiently. There is another post which states you need to press the button with a paper clip while plugging it in but it takes a long time.[/quote]

if you disabled NAT firewall, the DHCP server could be in effect on lan as well and if the ip range was still 192.168.81, wonder if the dhcp server gave the vera a ip, that would be bad

could try changing your ip on laptop to a static ip for the dhcp range in vera give it a ip like 192.168.81.50 255.255.255.0 , no gateway needed as local lan (your laptop will lose internet access during this change, would only be able to connect to vera if it also had a 192.168.81 type ip)

this may be more work then you want to attempt though, not sure your comfort level in making these kinds of changes

this was my vera’s default dhcp server range

192.168.81.100 to .150 with a gateway of 192.168.81.1

case you need it sense can’t get back in to see it

from that link you gave

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9949.msg73958.html#msg73958

that is what I would recommend as well if your not able to reset

Connect your computer directly to Vera. If Vera doesn’t give it an IP address, set your computer to use these network settings:

IP address: 192.168.81.127
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.81.1

Now you should be able to access Vera on 192.168.81.1.

except in your case the vera probably has IP : 192.168.81.100 (first IP in the DHCP Server range)(my assumption is you unchecked firewall, but still have dhcp checked)

can run that app above when connected to vera to find IP once your in same network range

you said you could still connect to wifi, possible 192.168.81.100 would work while on wifi too, if the vera got the first ip, other wise is one of the IP’s between 100 and 150

did the vera give your laptop\pc a ip, if so was it a .81. ip?

remember, your wifi when connected to vera will have no internet access right now, only intranet access, so outside web pages like getvera will not work

My unit finally reset and is working. I reset it last night and this morning it was working.

As for wifi this is acting as a wifi router with the hard wired port acting as a WAN port. So. With factory default setting you can log into the unit it’s mios_serial number network. The password is there in the getvera login or network setting when you select advanced. In fact just looking at the advanced settings this is fairly obvious,

So I have my tablet set up to log into that network with a fixed ip according to the posts above. It supports DHCP on the wifi port but fixed ip logs in faster. This means that I can add devices with the controller unplugged from the network.

This is important because in order to pair reliably you must be very close to what you are pairing to. If pairing fails there are bugs in the Edge which will cause devices to get cross linked.

[quote=“IUknown, post:14, topic:185058”]My unit finally reset and is working. I reset it last night and this morning it was working.

As for wifi this is acting as a wifi router with the hard wired port acting as a WAN port. So. With factory default setting you can log into the unit it’s mios_serial number network. The password is there in the getvera login or network setting when you select advanced. In fact just looking at the advanced settings this is fairly obvious,

So I have my tablet set up to log into that network with a fixed ip according to the posts above. It supports DHCP on the wifi port but fixed ip logs in faster. This means that I can add devices with the controller unplugged from the network.

This is important because in order to pair reliably you must be very close to what you are pairing to. If pairing fails there are bugs in the Edge which will cause devices to get cross linked.[/quote]

glad to hear it, thanks for the update

Well, great theory but this is a total poison pill. Here is what I did:

1. Hooked up via tablet and wifi and tried to pair thermostat.
  2. At every input it seemed to try and go back to the WAN to get something so waited for timeout.
  3. Device did not acknowledge pairing.
  4. Plugged back into hard wire ethernet.
  5. Cannot connect no entry in router DHCP table for the controller.
  6. Hard reset AGAIN and waiting. I will try and get a better time on how long this takes. Started about 9:35AM.

One thing I like to use during network trouble shooting is a wifi scanner. I use Fing on IOS. At least it lets me know what is working… If you can leave it hard wired. I would stick with that assuming that they still have a battery backup for pairing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know when I had a network outage, it took my veraedge about 15 to 30 min to start responding again, I was thinking maybe that was because I had not logged off when I last visited the web interface so was still connected to the cloud somehow and took awhile for it to give up trying, would think without the network cable plugged it would not even try, once it gave up trying to connect to cloud it all worked good again even with network down

In retrospect I am not sure that there is anything wrong with connecting to the mios wifi hot spot. On the other hand my zwave network is working and I don’t want to risk getting it messed up. That’s right I actually have a working VeraEdge!

What I will do is turn off the wifi as this is a security hole which is enabled by default.

I read through the post and still do not understand how to hard reset the Veraedge without connectivity. Could somebody explain this. I just bought a new unit and during the setup process I’m sure I was impatient and did something wrong, but I really would like to start from scratch before returning it.