VeraEdge Bridging Together

[quote=“tiaanv, post:18, topic:184813”]Ok. After putting some unrelated info together I have managed to bridge two Vera edge units together… and yes… it works!

Based on info in this thread we could establish that the main issue is that the Vera uses the “LAN” interface to discover other Vera devices via uPnP. The only issue is that the LAN interface IP addresses for all Vera edge devices are statically set at the factory to 192.168.81.1. In the older devices you could change this… On the new Vera Edge you can’t… Well, maybe you can! :wink:

SO I started digging around an came upon another unrelated post in a random thread about how to do some weird stuff with the wireless on a Vera 3… I put on and one together, and presto…

The Steps:

1. You need to SSH into your vera (
either of them will suffice. Only do this on ONE of them), using putty or something similar. You’ll also need your vera’s root password, or temporarily enable remote support, and use those details. there is enough info available on this… Google is your friend…
2. You need to run a couple of commands:

[ul][li]uci set network.lan.ifaddr=“192.168.81.2” (this sets the LAN interface’s IP address)[/li]
[li]uci commit (this saves the changed settings)[/li]
[li]cat /etc/config/network (just to review that you changed the setting correctly…)[/li]
[li]ifconfig eth0.1 down (this will “down” the LAN interface. We do this to re-load the settings in a moment)[/li]
[li]rm /var/state/network (this clears the network cached settings)[/li]
[li]/etc/init.d/network restart (restart the network)[/li][/ul]

3. After doing the above, You need to restart BOTH your Veras so that the uPnP service restarts it’s discovery.

That’s it… Fully functioning Bridging…!!!

Warning!!! I have NO IDEA if this will leave anything broken… So far, for me, it’s working perfectly, but don’t blame me if this has any negative after effects… at OWN Risk![/quote]

I used the above procedure, but the IP would not change. It did give me a another line that had the right IP, but this IP did not take effect. I had no idea how my VeraEdge had the ip of 192.168.12.24 and while my VeraLite had 192.168.81.1. The VeraEdge was visible on the VeraLite unp, but the VeraEdge did not show the VeraLite. After many attempts using the above procedure, I used SCP and using the terminal mode, I edited etc/config/network file and made the change to the IP 192.168.12.24 to show 192.168.81.2. After, I rebooted, the Veralite was visible on the VeraEdge and all devices made to trip to the VeraEdge. I later deleted the second IP line and everything works just great. It is my feeling that just editing the etc/config/network file is all that is needed to change the IP to get the VeraEdge to bridge to the Veralite.

config interface ‘lan’
option ifname ‘eth0.1’
option type ‘bridge’
option proto ‘static’
option netmask ‘255.255.255.0’
option ip6assign ‘60’
option macaddr ‘z4:41:22:fc:b4:ab’
option ipaddr ‘192.168.12.24’ 1.
option ifaddr ‘192.168.81.2’ 2.

Well I finally got the /etc/config/network file change, changing the ipaddr address, to take and remain permanent. The obvious thing that I seemed to be missing was that on the Vera Settings - Net & Wi-fi page the Manually configure button had to be selected and then the Apply and Save button had to be pressed to get the Vera into Manual mode. It appears that if left in Automatically configure mode it automatically resets any changes to the /etc/config/network file back to default. I also turned the firewall off as well as the Wifi and SSID when I changed to manual mode so this may have had something to do with it but I think it was just that it had to be in manual configure mode not automatic.

It is working, i used tiaanv posting in that way:

1. You need to SSH into your vera (
    either of them will suffice. Only do this on ONE of them), using putty or something similar. You’ll also need your vera’s root password, or temporarily enable remote support, and use those details. there is enough info available on this… Google is your friend…
  2. You need to run a couple of commands:
    uci set network.lan.ipaddr=“192.168.81.2” (this sets the LAN interface’s IP address)
    uci commit (this saves the changed settings)
    cat /etc/config/network (just to review that you changed the setting correctly…)

After this I go with Http to the box into networksettings and save it when I can see the correct IP

Erroneous post please delete^-^

I tried this today, and my vera3 can see the edge, but not vice-versa.

Just so i’m clear – once the edge’s ip is set to 192.168.81.2 (Vera3 is 192.168.81.1) - the next step is to add UPnP device. This is really odd though. Adding via UPnP, I can’t see the vera3 from the edge…

From Vera3, I can see the edge though via “add devices UPnP”???

I know this is an older post but it was somewhat helpful for me. I have 2 VeraLites. Lets call them Master and Slave. Up until last week they were both on UI5 (never took the plunge to upgrade) and my Master controlled everything on the Slave just fine (as a UPNP device). I upgraded both Units to UI7 and for the most part that wasn’t bad. It is quite different so after years of UI5 I’m having to rethink the way I had some of my stuff was setup. My biggest part is the UPNP bridge. It never connected back and the devices couldn’t see each other. I then followed the steps of changing the 192.168.81.1 IP on the Slave unit to 192.168.81.2. I’m puzzled as to why Vera would use an IP on a port for UPNP broadcast packets that doesn’t exist but that’s another thread. It does make sense as to why they both can’t be 81.1. So changing the IP on the Slave worked fine, and then reboot both. My Slave can see my Master but not visa versa. I then changed my Master from 81.1 to 81.3. Just to see if there’s something stuck on it thinking 81.1 is a gateway. Reboot both units and still the same. My slave can see my master but not the other way. So for testing purposes I then told my slave to go ahead and add my master as a UPNP device and it worked fine. It pulled in all the devices.

So now I’m finally to where I’m looking for some guidance. I’m ok with any of the options I think I can go with.

1: I don’t mind my Slave unit seeing my master but I’d really like some thoughts on how to flip this. I prefer my master to be the one controlling the slave.

2: If I can get my master to see the slave then I need to know how to delete a UPNP device. I’m not seeing that as an option under devices.

Worst case scenario:

3: My Master is connected to my Alarm system via Serial. So my slave is now trying to open a serial port, which it doesn’t have, to try and talk to the unit. I’m not sure why it’s doing that since it should see it through the master. So my question is how can I remove some of the devices that were pulled in off the Master? Is it even possible for you to specific what parts of a UPNP device you want? If I can’t get my master to see my slave I can have my slave watch for status changes and then react. Which is OK just not the best way to handle this.

I had a similar issue last week. It was easier for me since I upgraded to the veraplus. After I did that the veralite (slave) created a scene controller. So what I did was after making sure my device’s worked on the veraplus.basically I disconnected the veralite and everything was still on the plus. I went ahead and rested the veralite to factory. Tried bridging the units together and the veraplus wouldnt pickup the device I had on the vera plus. So I called customer care. And we came to the conclusion that after I had rested the veralite I need to rest the z wave network on it too. Then tried bridging the vera’s again. Now it’s working.

Hope I explained it In a understanding way. Side note customer care did everything for me while I was on the phone with them. Took about 30min.

[quote=“gsegovia15”]I had a similar issue last week. It was easier for me since I upgraded to the veraplus. After I did that the veralite (slave) created a scene controller. So what I did was after making sure my device’s worked on the veraplus.basically I disconnected the veralite and everything was still on the plus. I went ahead and rested the veralite to factory. Tried bridging the units together and the veraplus wouldnt pickup the device I had on the vera plus. So I called customer care. And we came to the conclusion that after I had rested the veralite I need to rest the z wave network on it too. Then tried bridging the vera’s again. Now it’s working.

Hope I explained it In a understanding way. Side note customer care did everything for me while I was on the phone with them. Took about 30min.[/quote]

So basically you had to set the IP/sub net addresses?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

[quote=“bluezr1, post:48, topic:184813”][quote=“gsegovia15”]I had a similar issue last week. It was easier for me since I upgraded to the veraplus. After I did that the veralite (slave) created a scene controller. So what I did was after making sure my device’s worked on the veraplus.basically I disconnected the veralite and everything was still on the plus. I went ahead and rested the veralite to factory. Tried bridging the units together and the veraplus wouldnt pickup the device I had on the vera plus. So I called customer care. And we came to the conclusion that after I had rested the veralite I need to rest the z wave network on it too. Then tried bridging the vera’s again. Now it’s working.

Hope I explained it In a understanding way. Side note customer care did everything for me while I was on the phone with them. Took about 30min.[/quote]

So basically you had to set the IP/sub net addresses? thats the first thing i did. give both of the veras static ip addresses. assign the vera ip(192.168.1.xx) address thats out of dchp range. and then subnet(255.255.255.0) and gateway ip (at&t default ip)(192.168.1.254). your default might be different but its the most common.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk[/quote]