VeraEdge Bridging Together

Seeing if anyone has been able to bridge two VeraEdges together yet?

When scanning for UPNP devices they don’t seem to be showing up correctly. The network we are playing on is pretty robust to say the least, so I need to make sure there is not a bug with the new 1.7.906 firmware where it’s labeling UPNP devices weird. It could be something to do with the cisco network but I’d like to start somewhere easier. So let me know if you have successfully bridged 2 veraedges together.

Another idea that I have been playing with is to manually add the other veraedge mirroring the way I use to on UI5 but that doesn’t seem to be working either.

Any insight on this would be awesome!

I have the same issue. Bridging my Edge with my Vera Lite on ui5 as slave. It seems that ui7 on the edge does not detect it under upnp devices. It detects a whole bunch of other devices. I logged this with very support. Got a reply from them that they were able to reproduce the issue, and that they will fix it in some future release… (roll eyes). No workaround available yet.

I would be surprised if Bridging ever works with two different UI’s. Both should be on UI7 first.

I don’t agree with you integlikewhoa. As the bridging is a function of the exposed upnp properties, and this is a set standard, and not specific to the UI versions.

In order for bringing to work they MUST be on the same firmware version. This has been stated many times in the past.

• Garrett

@ garrettwp : I searched for UI7 Bridging, and saw this post. My Vera lite and My edge are on the same firmware, and both on UI7. I can see all type of UPNP devices on my LAN, but not the most critical, my vera light from the Edge.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks ???

[quote=“MrAutomate, post:6, topic:184813”]@ garrettwp : I searched for UI7 Bridging, and saw this post. My Vera lite and My edge are on the same firmware, and both on UI7. I can see all type of UPNP devices on my LAN, but not the most critical, my vera light from the Edge.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks ???[/quote]

I think your problem currently is the EDGE. Currently bridging with the EDGE doesn’t work to my knowledge. Support says they working on it.

All I wanted to take a minute to updAte this thread also, Support is planning a new firmware update , expected release is this March 2015, and should resolve the UPNP issue.

Well they were doing monthly updates, but then they missed Jan. now its more then a month since the last update. And when they say March that will be no sooner then the last day of the month and more likely be the following month at least.

Hi everyone, I’ve just recieved my Vera Edge and updated it’s firmware to the latest, 1.7.1089, and I am trying to bridge it my VeraLite, leaving the new one as the main one, but still no success, I think things are in the same way as the last post on this thread? No support? Nothing fixed in this firmware regarding that?

BTW, the reason I am trying to bridge and not replacing, is because another bug with Instant Updates of Leviton dimmers treated in this thread: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,29569.50.html So it is bug over bug…

[quote=“Vreo, post:10, topic:184813”]Hi everyone, I’ve just recieved my Vera Edge and updated it’s firmware to the latest, 1.7.1089, and I am trying to bridge it my VeraLite, leaving the new one as the main one, but still no success, I think things are in the same way as the last post on this thread? No support? Nothing fixed in this firmware regarding that?

BTW, the reason I am trying to bridge and not replacing, is because another bug with Instant Updates of Leviton dimmers treated in this thread: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,29569.50.html So it is bug over bug…[/quote]

Bridge Mode has never worked on the EDGE. It’s on the to do list, but who knows when. It’s due to new z-wave chip.

I found a Solution! ???

Well, I THINK I found a workaround. I have being doing so much testing that I don’t even know if this is the setting that finally worked, but I managed to bridge my VeraLite UI6 with my VeraEdge UI7. What I did is that in my VeraLite, which is the only one that allows changing IP address of the LAN parte (which is senseless because it only has one port), I changed the IP from 192.168.81.1 to 192.168.81.2. The VeraEdge comes also with 192.168.81.1, but it is unchangeable. The LANs IP I have set them to my own network, wich are 192.168.1.63 for VeraLite and 192.168.1.64 for the VeraEdge. And suddenly, both Veras found each other.

I THINK this was the solution because if you go to the properties of the device created in Vera, the name is MIOS_XXXXXX and the IP address is 192.168.81.2 and 192.168.81.1 respectively and not the IP of my network.

I don’t want to touch any setting in my setup, maybe it was a coincidence or not, but maybe someone wants to try and let us all know if this really works or it was just me being lucky.

Regards.

Vreo- Yeah, that is how I had it working pre UI7, but I just upgraded my 2nd unit :o. Not sure why they would restrict that on an upgraded platform, it caused us to lose capability.

I do want to bridge a few units, and offload apps like the iPhone locater, and Hue due to processing, and memory usage. Glad you got it working, I’ll just wait.

It's due to new z-wave chip.

That should have nothing to do with it. Bridging is done at a higher level in Vera … It only knows about devices and device properties (not the kind of devices).
It sounds like Vreo is on to the real problem … it looks like it’s trying to use the 192.168.81.xx subnet as opposed to the subnet the router switch is on…

Anyone could bridge veraedge and veralite? I am planning to upgrade to veraedge and bridge them together. I already sent an email to Vera Control to ask if this is possible but have not received a reply.

[quote=“Vreo, post:12, topic:184813”]I found a Solution! ???

Well, I THINK I found a workaround. I have being doing so much testing that I don’t even know if this is the setting that finally worked, but I managed to bridge my VeraLite UI6 with my VeraEdge UI7. What I did is that in my VeraLite, which is the only one that allows changing IP address of the LAN parte (which is senseless because it only has one port), I changed the IP from 192.168.81.1 to 192.168.81.2. The VeraEdge comes also with 192.168.81.1, but it is unchangeable. The LANs IP I have set them to my own network, wich are 192.168.1.63 for VeraLite and 192.168.1.64 for the VeraEdge. And suddenly, both Veras found each other.

I THINK this was the solution because if you go to the properties of the device created in Vera, the name is MIOS_XXXXXX and the IP address is 192.168.81.2 and 192.168.81.1 respectively and not the IP of my network.

I don’t want to touch any setting in my setup, maybe it was a coincidence or not, but maybe someone wants to try and let us all know if this really works or it was just me being lucky.

Regards.[/quote]
I have mine bridged successfully since then.

So is it at all possible to bridge two vera edge units? since you cant set the LAN ip?

Ok. After putting some unrelated info together I have managed to bridge two Vera edge units together… and yes… it works!

Based on info in this thread we could establish that the main issue is that the Vera uses the “LAN” interface to discover other Vera devices via uPnP. The only issue is that the LAN interface IP addresses for all Vera edge devices are statically set at the factory to 192.168.81.1. In the older devices you could change this… On the new Vera Edge you can’t… Well, maybe you can! :wink:

SO I started digging around an came upon another unrelated post in a random thread about how to do some weird stuff with the wireless on a Vera 3… I put on and one together, and presto…

The Steps:

1. You need to SSH into your vera (
either of them will suffice. Only do this on ONE of them), using putty or something similar. You’ll also need your vera’s root password, or temporarily enable remote support, and use those details. there is enough info available on this… Google is your friend…
2. You need to run a couple of commands:

[ul][li]uci set network.lan.ifaddr=“192.168.81.2” (this sets the LAN interface’s IP address)[/li]
[li]uci commit (this saves the changed settings)[/li]
[li]cat /etc/config/network (just to review that you changed the setting correctly…)[/li]
[li]ifconfig eth0.1 down (this will “down” the LAN interface. We do this to re-load the settings in a moment)[/li]
[li]rm /var/state/network (this clears the network cached settings)[/li]
[li]/etc/init.d/network restart (restart the network)[/li][/ul]

3. After doing the above, You need to restart BOTH your Veras so that the uPnP service restarts it’s discovery.

That’s it… Fully functioning Bridging…!!!

Warning!!! I have NO IDEA if this will leave anything broken… So far, for me, it’s working perfectly, but don’t blame me if this has any negative after effects… at OWN Risk!

Tried your method on both my veralite and Vera edge, no success at all on Vera lite no eth0.1
On Vera edge more successful until last command which was refused as being incorrect. Both Vera’s are on latest firmware.

[quote=“dsroberts1945, post:19, topic:184813”]Tried your method on both my veralite and Vera edge, no success at all on Vera lite no eth0.1
On Vera edge more successful until last command which was refused as being incorrect. Both Vera’s are on latest firmware.[/quote]

I suggest you change this on the Edge, but it should be possible on the Lite also… maybe run [font=verdana]cat /etc/config/network [/font]

The last command is not really important… as long as you reboot or power cycle the Vera, however it MUST work… are you sure you copied it correctly?
If you did it correctly, then if you go to settings->Net & Wifi… You should see the updated LAN IP 192.168.81.2.