Vera Proximity

You need to look at logs. Email them to yourself after you enter and look for an error.

You using an old UI in vera?

Do local alerts work on your phone?

Thanks !
Yes I have a log from the 9. have just sent it to rts.
Using ui5.
Dont know about lokal alerts. What is it and should it be turned on ?
Would love some setup instructions.
Why are there none on rts. page.

[quote=“svaleb, post:22, topic:188148”]Thanks !
Yes I have a log from the 9. have just sent it to rts.
Using ui5.
Dont know about lokal alerts. What is it and should it be turned on ?
Would love some setup instructions.
Why are there none on rts. page.[/quote]

Look at the log yourself and look for an obvious connection error. after fence is crossed. you might not understand it all, but its not an encrypted code. I would say post it, but I’m not sure if it contains sensitive or personal info.

Local alerts allow your phone to chime, beep or alert you locally on your phone. If your getting those then everything is setup and its just a communication error making it to your vera.

I wil try to set local alerts.
Richard has just sent me a message. I have to set the debug before the problem. will try !
At least I know now that it is reporting something.
Reportig interval says 00:00 is that hours/min. or min/sek ?
What does rapid update do ? (I am aware it is doing checkup faster but how, what…what differens does it make ?
I have set “run scene” is that ok or do I have to use multiswitch ?

Thanks for helping.
CE

[quote=“svaleb, post:24, topic:188148”]I wil try to set local alerts.
Richard has just sent me a message. I have to set the debug before the problem. will try !
At least I know now that it is reporting something.
Reportig interval says 00:00 is that hours/min. or min/sek ?
What does rapid update do ? (I am aware it is doing checkup faster but how, what…what differens does it make ?
I have set “run scene” is that ok or do I have to use multiswitch ?

Thanks for helping.
CE[/quote]

Rapid update is used to trigger a fence crossing faster. Your phone conserves battery and doesn’t report the location as often during normal mode vs. rapid update. Depending on when your phone last checked its location and when you cross the geofence it can cause delays. So you can run several fences around your house. Maybe a large one 1/2 mile or so to start the rapid update process. That puts your phone in high alert for how ever many seconds or min you set. then make a smaller fence around your house and during rapid update your phone will see the change and trip faster.

You can also have two sizes of fences and that use PLEG to know which was tripped first to determine your direction.

You can also have a mid size fence that tells vera your almost home. I used this for my outdoor motions and notifications. I have outdoor cameras that send alerts if someone walks up across the lawn or up the driveway or walkway. Sometimes my “HOME” fence (I have it set small) wont trip until I’m pulling up the driveway and by that time i’m already getting notifications someones in the driveway. With a mid size fence I tell it to ignore notifications for a min until I actually trip I’m home.

I have never ran a scene only multiswitche but I’m sure that should work just fine if it was an option to choose.

I don’t believe reporting interval or reporting name and such even works right now. I thought that was just for a future feature.

I don't believe reporting interval or reporting name and such even works right now. I thought that was just for a future feature.

You are correct … also you have a very good understanding of the APP.

Thanks integlikewhoa !
I have not tryed “rapid update” because I thought it would not be needed. I will try though.
I have set fense to 200 and I can see when I am passing.
How do I set up an other fence for the same “home”. It seems I would have to define the “home” for evry fence. How do I create an extra fence for the same home.
Regards CE

1. Open the Vera Proximmity App.

2. If you have more than one home … Click on the Home you want to create a fence for.
    If you only have one Home you can skip this step.

3. Click on the “Fence” icon on the top … It asks you to then click on the map to locate the edge of the new fence.

You are done creating a new Fence.
Now you can click on the Fence that’s on the map … (it’s a location icon tied to a ring) and set actions, notifications on that fence.

It was not possible to make an other fence.
I deleeted all data and cache and started all over.
This time it was no problem and it works fine !
Thanks for your patience and help.
Regards
CE

Butit did not work for long. ???

When you say it didn’t work for long, can you describe the issue you are having? Have you enabled “local alerts” as other have suggested? I also turned on the “SMS” feature when I was first configuring the app. This would allow me to verify when/if the app was hitting the geofence without having the Vera even being a part of the equation. Once everything was working properly there, then I enabled “Vera Action”. Also make sure you don’t have “Moble Device Unlock Required”, unless you do indeed want that and understand that your phone will have to be unlocked for any of the actions to work.

Another thing that I want to ask about is what service provider do you have and are you talking on the phone when the app “doesn’t work”? The reason why I ask is because with some service providers (i.e. Verizon) you cannot be talking on the phone and using data at the same time. So if you are on the phone when you cross the geofence, nothing will happen. I think RTS updated the app so that it will execute the action once you get off the phone, but I am not 100% sure about that. Alternatively with other service providers (i.e. AT&T) you can be on the phone while using data, so it shouldn’t matter if you are talking when crossing the geofence.

Lastly, geofencing is still not a perfect technology yet (at least in my opinion). I use this app with an AT&T phone, and I would say that it works correctly 90-95% of the time, but not 100%. For this reason I have a couple of “backups” in place. These backups include multiple fences for the same thing (i.e. I have 4 fences for my home, so if my phone doesn’t pick up the outermost fence, it should pick up one of the interior fences). I also use ping sensor so that if none of the geofences worked, then as soon as my phone connects to my home wifi, Vera will determine me to be home. But also, outside of this app, other apps for geofencing don’t work 100% (or anywhere near that) of the time. Besides this app I have used several others that don’t perform as well as Vera Proximity.

Thanks Lingerba !
It has been working.
I have turned on a beep when I pass the two fences I have made.
I usualy turn off “place me” when I do not use it, to save battery, and turn it on before I leave for home. I have checked that it has found me.
But it does not beep when I pass the fences, and even if it does it does not activate the scene.
I have a european provider so I dont know if it makes a differens.
A bit of setup instructions would be nice !
How does rapid update work what settings is recomended ?
I used some time to setup home and fences.
Regards CE

I think RTS updated the app so that it will execute the action once you get off the phone, but I am not 100% sure about that.

I did!

I usualy turn off "place me"
I assume this is the location service. I do not know what the impact of turning on/off the location service for Geo-Fencing.

If location services are disable when the phone restarts (power cycled) than it might not accept the GeoFence definitions sent by Vera Proximity that are sent during startup.

I could/should resend them if location services are turn on. This might be the source of your difficulties.

Hello Richard
So you say that I should restart my phone with location service on, and then turn location service off.
I do not use it for anything but testing proximity.

The rapid update and the delay. Doet it use more power? The delay. What does it delay, the fence crossing? the sending of the signal to vera?
Or is my position updated evry xxmin. xx sek. Is it needed?

[quote=“svaleb, post:34, topic:188148”]Hello Richard
So you say that I should restart my phone with location service on, and then turn location service off.
I do not use it for anything but testing proximity.

The rapid update and the delay. Doet it use more power? The delay. What does it delay, the fence crossing? the sending of the signal to vera?[/quote]

Rapid update will use more battery as it puts the phone in high alert. I generally use it myself for around no more then 3 min on a fence larger then my normal home fence. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile fence

Aha, I have set inner fence, 300m and 1min. outer fence 500 3min.
Is rapid update needed ?

[quote=“svaleb, post:36, topic:188148”]Aha, I have set inner fence, 300m and 1min. outer fence 500 3min.
Is rapid update needed ?[/quote]

I have my small fence around the house set to 0.07 and rapid update at 0.55 with 3:00 timer to be exact.

You don’t need rapid update on the inner fence when your heading home. You set it up on the outter fence (when your coming home) so your phone goes into a constant gps checking mission so by the time you cross the inner/smaller fence you get a fast response that you crossed the inner fence to get home.

I use more then just this to determine home/away. So .07 might be to small and have false bouncing out for some people. Or on bigger country side properties this would also be to small. I live in the big city and houses are built within spitting distance.

I will delete rapid update for inner fence and try.
Thanks for your help integlikewhoa.
Regards CE

Basically the Geo Fenncing is a SLOW polling of the location service … to minimize battery usage (Order of minutes).

When ever Vera Proximity wakes up
It wakes up for the following reasons:
1) Phone is Restarted
2) Users enters Password
3) User Get’s off the phone
4) A GeoFence is entered or exited (using the slow polling mode)

At these times Vera Proximity goes into a Fast Update interval (15 seconds). It does this for a couple of minutes.
Although as a part of a GeoFence transition you can extend this to more time.

If you want to more accurately detect a small fence size quickly … you want Fast updates on before you enter the fence.
That’s why there it’s good to have a larger fence around your normal house fence to put the app in rapid update as you get close to your home.

ok !
It worked today on my way home. I beeped when I entered the two fences, but it did not turn on the scene…?