use motion sensor from Foscam FW8918 to switch on lights?

Is it possible to use the motion triggers from the foscam fw8918 ip cams to switch on a light (or other device)

I have 2 foscam fw8918 and a vera2 gateway.
The camera’s are reqonized by vera and working, also there are 2 motion sensor switches in vera2 present.
When i add a notification and switch them “ON” i get a notification when detection is done by the camera.

What i would like if armed and motion detected i could switch other devices ON or OFF, but i have no idea if this is possible and how to do this.

For example i would like to switch on a light switch when motion is detected and leave it on afterwards until i switch is manully of or is switched of by an ohter scene or automater.

Is this possible if so how?

I have something similar set-up with my FI8910Ws. Here’s how I set it up:

Create a new scene and call it something like “Motion detected- Lights on”
Choose the light you want to turn on and select the action you want as “on”
On the triggers tab, set-up a new trigger by selecting the Foscam motion sensor and selecting the trigger as “an armed sensor is tripped”, name the trigger, and select “Device armed is tripped”
Confirm the changes and hit save

Create a second new scene and call it something like “Motion detected- Light off”
Choose the same light and select the action you want as “off”
On the trigers tab, set-up a new trigger by selecting the Foscam motion sensor and selecting the the trigger as “an armed sensor is tripped”, name the trigger, and select “Device armed is not tripped”

Now the light should turn on when the motion sensor is tripped and turn off when it goes back to un-tripped (the default is 20 minutes and can be changed in the sensor settings). I only arm my sensors at night so the lights aren’t turning on and off all day. If you wanted this to happen all the time, in the trigger section choose “a sensor (door, window, etc.) is tripped” instead of “an armed sensor is tripped”

Thx but this does not exactly what i want.

I want that the sensor is armed only between for example 1.00am and 6.00am
If the sensor then detects something it should switch on a light.

Outside this specified time period the sensor may be armed but may NOT switch on the light if it detects something.

[quote=“B3rt, post:3, topic:172056”]Thx but this does not exactly what i want.

I want that the sensor is armed only between for example 1.00am and 6.00am
If the sensor then detects something it should switch on a light.

Outside this specified time period the sensor may be armed but may NOT switch on the light if it detects something.[/quote]

That is how I have mine set-up as well. In addition to the scenes above, create another set of scenes that arm and bypass the sensor at certain times.

Create a new scene and call it something like “Motion sensor- armed”
On the motion sensor, choose “arm” as the action you want
On the schedule tab, set-up a new schedule that occurs at a certain time of day (1am in your example)

Create a second new scene and call it something like “Motion sensor- bypass”
On the motion sensor, choose “bypass” as the action you want
On the schedule tab, set-up a new schedule that occurs at a certain time of day (6am in your example)

When combined with the other scenes, Vera will arm the sensor at 1am. Once armed, Vera will turn on the lights when motion is detected and turn it off when motion is no longer detected. After 6am, Vera will bypass the sensor and the lights will not turn on when motion is detected.

I should note that arming and bypassing the sensor in Vera only affect what Vera does with the sensor information. The motion detection will remain active in camera. For me I continue to receive email motion alerts from the camera all day long, even though the Vera is on bypass.

[quote=“B3rt, post:1, topic:172056”]Is it possible to use the motion triggers from the foscam fw8918 ip cams to switch on a light (or other device)

I have 2 foscam fw8918 and a vera2 gateway.
The camera’s are reqonized by vera and working, also there are 2 motion sensor switches in vera2 present.[/quote]

Are you running UI5 or UI4? I have several Foscam IP cameras connected to a Vera 2 running UI4 but there are not any corresponding motion detectors. Did you configure Vera with a Foscam-specific IP camera plugin?

Running UI5, using latest firmware.

You do have to manually change device_file from the foscam cameras to D_DigitalSecurityCamera2.xml (just change the name)

After this is done they should work.

I tested to switch this also to D_DigitalSecurityCamera2.xml but does not see any additional devices added that I can use for motion sensors. What have I missed?

You’ll need to have downloaded the Foscam plug-in. I haven’t used UI4 but I think you can get it from apps.mios.com.

Once the plug-in is downloaded, on the camera’s advanced tab in the “impl_file” field type in:

I_FoscamPTZ.xml

That should create the sensor for that camera.

I believe the plug in will not work in ui4.

• Garrett

The plugin works in UI4, the only difference being that there is no preset functionality. For this the D_DigitalSecurityCamera2.xml file is required, which works only in UI5.

@HouseBot
What is the value of the ConfigurationMD variable in the camera’s Advanced tab?

[quote=“mcvflorin, post:10, topic:172056”]@HouseBot
What is the value of the ConfigurationMD variable in the camera’s Advanced tab?[/quote]
None, it does not exist. Should I add it and what value should I give it?

This means that either the I_FoscamPTZ.xml file is missing from your Vera or it’s missing from the camera’s impl_file field in the Advanced tab. Please check that you have the file on your Vera and that the file name is present in the camera’s impl_file field.

i want to used the above setting but i also want the motion to turn on light to only at night which you show above for create a scene with the sensor arm during the night time and bypass during day time. is there any way to schedule a pacific scene to only run from certain to a certain time??

for example

“”“”“”“”
Name: “Motion detected- Lights on”
Action: “Dining light ON”
Triggers: “an armed sensor is tripped”,-- “Device armed is tripped”
Activate scene (RUN only from) (schedule) 7pm-5am.
“”“”
so that this will turn into an occupancy sensor with a photo-cell sensor, determine only active during night time

“”“”“”“”
Name: “Motion detected- Lights off”
Action: “Dining light OFF”
Triggers: “an armed sensor is tripped”,-- “Device armed is NOT tripped”
Activate scene: always.

so that if we have the light on manually during the day and when there are no motion the should be turn off.

The above setting by Trotsky40 creating a scene to by pass the sensor during the day it defeat the purpose of turn off the light when there is no motion when we forgot to turn off the light. please let me know if this possible .

other problem i had when trying the motion light on/off is that when the light on and the camera motion goes to armed/ no-motion then when a scene turn off the light with “no motion” controlled the armed motion camera goes to tripped because of the change in the light condition or when the ir cut off in the camera activated this cause the the scene Motion Light on to run and it in a loop because the moiton on and off any better way to fix this? Im new to these stuff been reading a lot and trying out things and i like to ask when there is a question in mind otherwise confused. Thank you

[quote=“samsungd415, post:13, topic:172056”]-----------------------------
“”“”“”“”
Name: “Motion detected- Lights off”
Action: “Dining light OFF”
Triggers: “an armed sensor is tripped”,-- “Device armed is NOT tripped”
Activate scene: always.
-------------[/quote]

If I understand correctly for your first question you just need to change the trigger on the lights off scene from “an armed sensor is tripped” to “a sensor (door, window, etc.) is tripped”. This will make the light turn off whenever the sensor is not tripped regardless if it the sensor is armed or not.

Your second question is not so easy. I use the motion sensor to turn on lights that are not directly in front of the camera (motion in the bedroom turns on a hallway light). You could try to adjust the sensitivity directly on the camera ( try a setting of 1 and see if that still triggers the motion sensor when the light turns on). The other option would be to use Futzle’s excellent count down timer available in the App section. With this instead of using the “sensor not tripped” you could put it on a set timer to turn off.

i created and play around with these setting to get my foscam as a motion sensor to turn on and off the light. The turn on when motion (triped) is working fine but to turn off when there are no motion not realy working. It wont turn off. now for the scene to turn run (turn off light with no motion) i have to click on reload in MIOS then it will triger the scence to run. I tried both “a sensor/windows” and also “an armed device is not trip” not of them work. any idea please help thank you.

@samsungd415,

Welcome!

Turning a light on/off seems to work with the FW8910. What do you have the [tt]OnTime[/tt] set to?

15second (15) i got the light to tun on when it detect motion but i can not get it to automaticly turn off the light where there is no motion. i create a scene to no motion light off but it will not automatic run i eirth have to click on run or i have to click reload on th MIOS for the scene to run. like i explain i choose “device” as “windows sensor” or/and “triped device” when “device is not triped” but no such luck

@samsungd415, can you post screen shots of the settings in your “no motion” scene? That would help us debug your problem.

Would it be correct to say then that if I’m using UI4/Vera2 with Foscam plugin, that I cannot get a separate motion sensor created in UI4? I’ll need to upgrade to UI5 for this functionality? I’ve deleted/re-added the foscam camera several times, but I’ve never seen a motion sensor for it appear. That would be very useful. I’ve already downloaded the I_FoscamPTZ.xml and put in the correct fields. Everything seems to be working with the exception of being able to access the motion sensor on it via a separate UI control.

I believe that the foscam plugin only works with UI5.

• Garrett