use motion sensor from Foscam FW8918 to switch on lights?

Hmm, I haven’t tried it on UI4, but @mcvflorin’s statement was this:

[quote=“Trotsky40, post:2, topic:172056”]I have something similar set-up with my FI8910Ws. Here’s how I set it up:

Create a new scene and call it something like “Motion detected- Lights on”
Choose the light you want to turn on and select the action you want as “on”
On the triggers tab, set-up a new trigger by selecting the Foscam motion sensor and selecting the trigger as “an armed sensor is tripped”, name the trigger, and select “Device armed is tripped”
Confirm the changes and hit save

Create a second new scene and call it something like “Motion detected- Light off”
Choose the same light and select the action you want as “off”
On the trigers tab, set-up a new trigger by selecting the Foscam motion sensor and selecting the the trigger as “an armed sensor is tripped”, name the trigger, and select “Device armed is not tripped”
Confirm the changes and hit save

Now the light should turn on when the motion sensor is tripped and turn off when it goes back to un-tripped (the default is 20 minutes and can be changed in the sensor settings). I only arm my sensors at night so the lights aren’t turning on and off all day. If you wanted this to happen all the time, in the trigger section choose “a sensor (door, window, etc.) is tripped” instead of “an armed sensor is tripped”[/quote]

Just wanted to thank you for this post. I was looking for this. I added the additional scenes also that you mentioned few posts below create arm and bypass schedules.

Hi,
Changing a little of subject, but still related to foscam and trigger. I would be very happy to have your feedback about daily use of foscam motion detection.
I have 2 Aeon labs PIR detector that are working quite well. However I need to invest into more detectors and was thinking about taking foscam camera and use motion detection to switch on lights.
This is same price, but with camera you also have picture available…
However I’m not sure that in real life this motion detection is working well. What’s your feedback about it ?
Are you able to switch on lights everytime in a room using Foscam as detector ? What is the latency of the system (interval between entering in the room and light is switching on).
Thank you for your feedback.
Best regards.

I would not rely on the cameras motion detection. To many false positives. If you need many motion devices, an alarm system would be more appropriate and cost effective over the long run.

• Garrett

I am with Garrett, I have a Foscam Outdoor and when it starts raining/snowing it trips the sensor, same with sunlight in a window. So many false positives, but I can live with it.

Hello guys,

first of all Happy New Year!

My Vera lite is coming next week and I have done a ton of research so far what I want to do. Reading this thread here and reading the Foscam forum and their website there should be “the perfect” way of doing this. Let me explain and see if you think that this is even feasible.

Foscam has a motion detector which should or could be used to trigger recordings regardless at day or by night. With that said the Foscam has the IR feature which is light sensitive which means as soon as it gets dark outside IR should kick in.

If there would be a way to use this trigger from the cam to kickstart another scene that would be perfect. Something like this from a logic perspective:

A) if IR is NOT enabled + motion detected = record 5 seconds of video
B) if IR is enabled + motion detected = record 5 seconds of video + switch on lights for 15 seconds

All this under the assumption that Vera can read the status of IR from the Foscam. If that is not possible then the only way to achieve the above would be on a time basis as described earlier in this thread which wouldn’t account for days when it gets dark earlier or later.

This is the model I am going to purchase soon and if anybody who has a Foscam or ideally the same model could check if there is a way to check the IR status, I would appreciate that.

http://foscam.us/foscam-fi9821w-bundle-7pbracket-9dbi-ext-black.html

Thanks in advance.

make sure you are OK with the problems FI8921Ws have…

Problems…

frequent Wifi disconnects (not an issue if on wired ethernet) from all FI8921w … while FI8910w’s are perfect.

flashing / flickering issues… http://foscam.us/forum/fi9821w-v2-flickering-image-t7377.html