UI7 Vera android app geofencing issue

That did it Richard. After I made an edit to the fence, it immediately reacted with a fence notification and later in testing it operated as expected. The other day when I tested it I had been making changes to the Location services (high accuracy/gps option) with a mock GPS.

Still no joy on the Vera GeoFence.

For me it cannot find my vera unless I am on wifi.

Are you Vera on UI5, UI6 or UI7 ? (Only a few use UI6)

Have you setup your credentials on Vera Proximity correctly ?
When you say List Veras IDs … it should find the Vera(s) that you have setup credentials for.

You should try this when you are on Wifi AND when you are on your data plan.

Thanks Richard
I am on ui5.
Yes it lists vera on Wifi, but not without wifi.
Not sure what you mean by data plan.

[quote=“svaleb, post:44, topic:188610”]Thanks Richard
I am on ui5.
Yes it lists vera on Wifi, but not without wifi.
Not sure what you mean by data plan.[/quote]

data plan is your cell service (sprint/t-mobile/verizon/at&t… Who ever you have). For example when you are away from home on 3g/4g/lte or what ever service you currently have. Your problem could be an internet issue with your cell service or it could be a credential problem (wrong user and password), but for some reason you are unable to login to your vera account when your on your data plan.

So when you turn off wifi your cell should fall over to your service provider and when you try to “List VERA Id’s” all it does is tries to login to something similer to home.getvera.com where it logins in and list which vera’s you have and connects to them that way. If that doesn’t happen when not on wifi you can have a lack of internet, wrong user and password (user and password is not needed when on local wifi, just just because that works doesn’t mean you have the user and password correct) or something on vera’s server side that doesn’t let you in remotely.

Recently someone (Automa8 who’s in this thread) had problems login into vera remotley in all aftermarket apps and had problems changing his password. It was a problem on Vera’s side that he got worked out by resting his account. He had another thread on that problem.

But hope these give you some things to look at.

Thanks integlikewhoa
I will delete and try to set up again.

Have st it up again.
Should I unchek edit mode afterwards ?
Do not remember how to make 2. fence.

[quote=“paros, post:20, topic:188610”]In Vera Proximity:
First: I have created:

• 1 new location called InnerFence with a fence called InnerFence (radius 100m)
  • 1 new location called OuterFence with a fence called OuterFence (radius 100m)
    Both location is located at my house. I checked use sensors, added my credentials and added a device name.
    What reporting intervalls should I use?
    What accuracy treshold should I try with?
    What reporting interval should I try with?
    Is this correct?

In Pleg:
I have installed an app with the name: Program Logic Event Generator (PLEG). But I cant find the settings that you refer to, where do I enter this?[/quote]

Did we get the answers to this ??

[quote=“svaleb, post:47, topic:188610”][quote=“paros, post:20, topic:188610”]In Vera Proximity:
First: I have created:

• 1 new location called InnerFence with a fence called InnerFence (radius 100m)
  • 1 new location called OuterFence with a fence called OuterFence (radius 100m)
    Both location is located at my house. I checked use sensors, added my credentials and added a device name.
    What reporting intervalls should I use?
    What accuracy treshold should I try with?
    What reporting interval should I try with?
    Is this correct?

In Pleg:
I have installed an app with the name: Program Logic Event Generator (PLEG). But I cant find the settings that you refer to, where do I enter this?[/quote]

Did we get the answers to this ??[/quote]

Reporting invervals are not used so you can leave it blank.

Accuracy threshold I have mine at 100 meters but what that means is if your phone’s accuracy is higher then the number you enter it will not use its location. So say your phone doesn’t have a good GPS lock and it’s only accurate to a 100 meter circle but you set this threshold to say 50 meters. The app will ignore your location until your phone says it’s accurate to under 50 meters.

If you set a high number it may not be accurate but it will update the app, if you set the number too low and your phone never gets that accurate then it won’t show you moved at all. Again I have mine set to 100, but others may say to set it lower. This works for me.

In PLEG:
Pleg can not see this app and the app can not change anything in PLEG. This app can only run a scene or flip a virtual or virtual multiswitch.

I use and recommend the “MultiSwitch” vera plugin. SO this plugin is the middle man to make the connection from app to PLEG. in pleg you set the multiswitch button or buttons as a trigger (now it sees on and off as home and away) and in the Proximity plugin you set your vera action to flip on (for home) and flip off (for away) one of the buttons on the multiswitch. You can then use PLEG how you choose to control other things based on these or you can use PLEG to create a buffere and or add other things like Ping sensor to double up your chances of get an accurate home and away reading.

[quote=“svaleb, post:46, topic:188610”]Thanks integlikewhoa
I will delete and try to set up again.

Have st it up again.
Should I unchek edit mode afterwards ?
Do not remember how to make 2. fence.[/quote]

You do NOT need to uncheck edit mode it’s your preference. Works either way.

On the main map or home screen of the app.
The stop sign with the dot in the middle sets up a location
A Fence sets up a Fence.

The location only has a name and address or location… NO SIZE OR RADIUS!
after a location is setup and clicked on to be highlighted you can click the fence button to make a fence around the Location you setup.
A fence has a name and a size or radius.

So for example I have location at my house and I name the location as “Home”, I can enter the address or press and hold on the map to put the location over my house.

Next I click the location of the house. Then click the fence icon on the top center of the app and it will now make a fence around that “hose” with a name that i choose and the radius. I usually name them like small, Big, Rapid update, Almost home… I think my house has 4 fences around that one location. The biggest one a little over half mile out is rapid update and it has no vera action but starts “Rapid Update” and runs it for like 3:00min to prepare my phone for the next few fence crossings as I get home. Small might be the final one that one I enter I set the entering vera action as Miltiswitch button on for my name. My wife has her own button on the multiswitch and her app turns on the button for her name. Exiting that same small fence might be the same vera action of turning that switch off or if you get alot of false bounce out alerts you could even use only the small fence for saying your home and use a bigger fence for only saying you left.

You don’t need to use both enter and exit options on the fence. You can use one or the other if you choose.

The app doesn’t limit the amount of fences you have around one location or even how many locations you have.

I have home, work, and a vacation home in another state set as my 3 locations. I have multiple fences on each location for different things. On the vacation house I have a Fence way out over a few hours drive away from the house that just says I’m on the way to that house and PLEG turns on the a/c or heater, turns on the electric hot water heaters and preps the house for me coming into town. Same fence makes sure everything is off when I cross the other way leaving town.

Nice Setup … used exactly how I thought people might use it.

A couple of comments:

1. A small fence near the house might not get an exit event when you leave.
    The problem is that often the GPS has low resolution because of the loss of signal in the house and it takes a while
    15-30 seconds if the phone is in the clear to get a good quality location … If you blast out of your house because you are late for work you might exit a small fence before the GPS realizes it.

A solution is to make the inner most fence that MARKS you as GONE about 30 seconds away.

This can be done by having a SMALL arrival fence and a slightly bigger Departure Fence.

Of course if you always take your time … leaving the garage … stopping in the drive to pick up your paper … maybe glance at the headlines … CLEAR the ICE off your windshields for those poor guys that live in climates that support that and do not have a garage … or in general you just dawdle as you leave … a SMALL fence may work for you.

2. You can also have a problem with a SMALL fence if you loose GPS coverage in the house.
    Then location services might switch to Cell Tower triangulation … which is less accurate … and can move your location. If your inner fence is too small it can move you OUTSIDE your fence.

For Automating your house I recommend TWO factor ARRIVAL and DEPARTURE before you launch any automation FOR EACH USER!
THis can be:

1. TWO GeoFence locations … Arrival is when you Enter the inner one AFTER Entering the OUTER ONE.
    Departure is when you exit the OUTER one after exiting the INNER ONE.
  2. You can use a single FENCE and a PING SENSOR for your phone on Wifi at your house.

PLEG will be helpful to to combine the dual events for EACH USER as well as to implement the actions when:
MR arrives or departs …
MRS arrives or departs …
FirstPersonArrive …
LastPersonDepart …

[hr]
ON A RELATED ISSUE … I add a check to Vera Proximity when the User changes the location services … to reload the Geo Fences.
I hope this helps those that need to micro-manage their phone’s power usage.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:50, topic:188610”]Nice Setup … used exactly how I thought people might use it.

A couple of comments:

1. A small fence near the house might not get an exit event when you leave.
    The problem is that often the GPS has low resolution because of the loss of signal in the house and it takes a while
    15-30 seconds if the phone is in the clear to get a good quality location … If you blast out of your house because you are late for work you might exit a small fence before the GPS realizes it.

A solution is to make the inner most fence that MARKS you as GONE about 30 seconds away.

This can be done by having a SMALL arrival fence and a slightly bigger Departure Fence.

Of course if you always take your time … leaving the garage … stopping in the drive to pick up your paper … maybe glance at the headlines … CLEAR the ICE off your windshields for those poor guys that live in climates that support that and do not have a garage … or in general you just dawdle as you leave … a SMALL fence may work for you.

2. You can also have a problem with a SMALL fence if you loose GPS coverage in the house.
    Then location services might switch to Cell Tower triangulation … which is less accurate … and can move your location. If your inner fence is too small it can move you OUTSIDE your fence.

For Automating your house I recommend TWO factor ARRIVAL and DEPARTURE before you launch any automation FOR EACH USER!
THis can be:

1. TWO GeoFence locations … Arrival is when you Enter the inner one AFTER Entering the OUTER ONE.
    Departure is when you exit the OUTER one after exiting the INNER ONE.
  2. You can use a single FENCE and a PING SENSOR for your phone on Wifi at your house.

PLEG will be helpful to to combine the dual events for EACH USER as well as to implement the actions when:
MR arrives or departs …
MRS arrives or departs …
FirstPersonArrive …
LastPersonDepart …

[hr]
ON A RELATED ISSUE … I add a check to Vera Proximity when the User changes the location services … to reload the Geo Fences.
I hope this helps those that need to micro-manage their phone’s power usage.[/quote]

That’s good info.

Just for kicks, I have every fence leaving the area trip the “geofence away switch off” just in case the small misses it the larger one repeats the same.

I also use Blueiris Geofence which is a bigger fence, and a ping sensor. I use PLEG to determine 2 of 3 and manually switch the rest over if one missed. So ideally the rapid update kicks in, the larger blueIris fence turns on, then the smaller VERA proximity fence kicks in within view of the house. If either one of the first two hasn’t tripped the wifi (Ubiquiti Unifi AP’s) reaches well into the street and makes a full connection by the time I get in the driveway. I have cameras on the lawn and in the driveway, if the home switch is delayed until I’m in the driveway I would get notifications of motion since I’m not home yet. To prevent this I have a med. size fence that’s an “almost home” and pauses notifications for 2 min and alerts the other person home if any that I’m almost home (dogs know this alert now and run to the front door first).

I live in Los Angeles area and have some nasty winters where we dip into the 60’s.

We wifi teather for our sons tablets form our unlimited data plan on the phones (sprint). Sometimes we get home and don’t have wifi on (can’t have a hotspot and wifi). The double Geofence saves us with the 2 of 3. I have not setup tasker yet, but I should so wifi is kicked on near the house automatically. Call me lazy.

Thank you both !
This is the closest we got to some guidelines. Great !
An other Q.
Why do I have to define a new “Home” when I create an other fence. When I want to make an other fence it says “you have to set a location first”
(or something like that) ?

A Fence is tied to a location (a radius around a location) … Since you can have multiple locations you need to pick an existing location first or create a new location.

[quote=“svaleb, post:52, topic:188610”]Thank you both !
This is the closest we got to some guidelines. Great !
An other Q.
Why do I have to define a new “Home” when I create an other fence. When I want to make an other fence it says “you have to set a location first”
(or something like that) ?[/quote]

Did you get what Richard said?

It said that because you didn’t click or select your “HOME” location before clicking on the fence icon. So in you map picture click on the “HOME” right in the center where the dot is and it will pop up a white windoe that says “Home” Click to Edit. When that pops up now you can click the fence icon up on the top as you have your “HOME” selected and now you can make a fence for that home.

If you have no location set it doesn’t know if you have 1 or more locations and which one to put the fence around. So it asks you to select one or make a new one.

Thanks again both of you !
And no, I did not get at first, so thanks for the update inteligewhoa.
That may have been a problem in my setup, I have “two homes” with each a fence.
Reg. CE

Vera Proximity is designed to handle multiple locations each with their own Vera(s).

I never design assuming only one!

This may seem complex for an initial user … But I cater to the power user / control freak.

Yes, I am perfectly aware of that, and it is great. I just want to know how to set it up, and learn the functions.
They are not all obvious to me.

[quote=“svaleb, post:57, topic:188610”]Yes, I am perfectly aware of that, and it is great. I just want to know how to set it up, and learn the functions.
They are not all obvious to me.[/quote]

Well is it working? :stuck_out_tongue:

No, still not working.
will try a new setup.

svaleb, did you fix the problem where you said…

For me it cannot find my vera unless I am on wifi.

If it can’t find Vera while you are off your local wifi, the Vera Proximity app won’t be able to trigger the geofence event to Vera.
If this is still the case, then you’ve probably got a Vera authentication issue and may need to rectify that problem first.