UI7 Vera android app geofencing issue

Before latest update, it was working fine, switch to home mode when I enter the geofencing area. But after update the app, every time it shows error message like exit/enter home, but can’t connect to server. Even worse, it can’t detect the location correctly, sometimes I keep receiving geofencing message exit/enter multiple times when I’m actually at home moving within several meters and my geofencing circle is 200m. Now I have to disable the function because it is simply too annoying. Is that an known issue and any fix or workaround? Thanks.

Geofencing apps have a problem when you are in a small circle.

When you are inside you can often loose GPS connectivity. When this happens it downgrades to Cell tower triangulation which is not as accurate.
You can be easily moved outside your GeoFence … then it gets GPS connectivity again and it moves back in.

To solve this I use the VeraProximity GeoFence app (I am the Author) … I have two fences … Small Radius and Larger Radius … I use PLEG (I am the Author) to decided
when I have left after leaving the Outer Fence after leaving the Inner Fence … And I am home after transition Outer Fence then Inner Fence.

You can do this with other Proximity sensors such as Phone Ping … but your strategy should include a second indicator that does not suffer from the GPS signal loss inside.

I’m testing the beta of the Android app and Vera is aware of the issue and working to correct it.

I?m having a similar problem on my Android device. I?m constantly receiving error messages saying that “exit/entry commands cannot be sent to servers”. I had to log off to make the messages stop.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:2, topic:188610”]Geofencing apps have a problem when you are in a small circle.

When you are inside you can often loose GPS connectivity. When this happens it downgrades to Cell tower triangulation which is not as accurate.
You can be easily moved outside your GeoFence … then it gets GPS connectivity again and it moves back in.

To solve this I use the VeraProximity GeoFence app (I am the Author) … I have two fences … Small Radius and Larger Radius … I use PLEG (I am the Author) to decided
when I have left after leaving the Outer Fence after leaving the Inner Fence … And I am home after transition Outer Fence then Inner Fence.

You can do this with other Proximity sensors such as Phone Ping … but your strategy should include a second indicator that does not suffer from the GPS signal loss inside.[/quote]

Could you post the sample of your pleg?

It was working fine before the latest UI7 app update… To prevent the issue (small circle you mentioned) for the previous UI7 app, I setup the radius to be 200m(more than big enough for my small condo), and I have Tasker which use WIFI to locate not just cell tower indoor which works perfectly fine (I have multiple profiles and tasks trigger at home), so it the UI7 app issue not the GPS or location detection issue of my phone. The latest UI7 app also complains about can’t connect to server when geofencing event triggered.

I have the ping sensor to tell whether my phone is at home or not, I’m not saying I can’t set Home mode or away mode for Vera. The issue is only because the UI7 app sends too many wrong enter/exit home messages while I’m at home, too annoying to live with. I’ve deleted my home location in the app to deal with this annoying issue. Hopefully it can be fixed later.

How did you do this!?!
I setup the geofencing just to test it, and now i want to turn it off! Ive disabled all the notifications yet i still recieve them when i enter/exit.
When I try to delete it, it says “You can not delete this geo fence until you don’t define another geo fence as home”.
Ive tried logging out, clearing cache/data for the app (android).
I just want to disable the geofence all together! BAH

Set the radius to 100 Miles

Max radius I can set is 10,000 meters (10KM).
Works fine I guess til I leave town for work, or drive to the opposite side of the city.
Bah, should never have enabled it.

I would try to uninstall the app and then re-install it? But, I don;t use Vera Ltd.'s apps so I can’t tell you if it will work or not.

No dice there either. Cleared cache/data, logged out, uninstalled app. Reinstalled app and the geofence is still there

No dice there either. Cleared cache/data, logged out, uninstalled app. Reinstalled app and the geofence is still there[/quote]

New phone? LOL

Stupid question probably but…

On Vera 7’s Dashboard, did you go into ‘My Modes’ and at the bottom uncheck both boxes under the GeoFencing section?

[quote=“BOFH, post:13, topic:188610”]Stupid question probably but…

On Vera 7’s Dashboard, did you go into ‘My Modes’ and at the bottom uncheck both boxes under the GeoFencing section?[/quote]
Yes I did. This stops it from automatically switching between Home and Away modes, however it does not stop the geofence Enter/Exit alert that pops up on my phone

So is there a fix for this yet? I have it on both my phone and the wife’s. I’ve set both to not change the mode if Home or Away. I’ve set the fence to be 10,000m the max. I’ve also disabled both of the checkboxes on the web UI.

“Command can’t be sent to our servers”

I’ve totally given up on geofensing for now. I just want the phones to not vibrate randomly during the night with this error.

Running 1.7.1419

To delete a geofence, (see if I remember this correctly), go into Edit on the geofence, then there should be 2 checkboxes, 1 for Notify and 1 for Home. Uncheck both of these. I believe I then had to go into the actual gps map portion where it finds your location, and there is a Delete option there that will get rid of the whole fence.

That should get rid of it. Took me a while the other night when I went through this same issue, so deleted it for now as well. Hopefully those instructions make sense or point you in the right direction.

[quote=“swfire271, post:16, topic:188610”]To delete a geofence, (see if I remember this correctly), go into Edit on the geofence, then there should be 2 checkboxes, 1 for Notify and 1 for Home. Uncheck both of these. I believe I then had to go into the actual gps map portion where it finds your location, and there is a Delete option there that will get rid of the whole fence.

That should get rid of it. Took me a while the other night when I went through this same issue, so deleted it for now as well. Hopefully those instructions make sense or point you in the right direction.[/quote]
I totally forgot to update this post after speaking with support about this issue, but yes, this is exactly what you need to do. Delete from the MAP portion.

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:2, topic:188610”]Geofencing apps have a problem when you are in a small circle.

You can do this with other Proximity sensors such as Phone Ping … but your strategy should include a second indicator that does not suffer from the GPS signal loss inside.[/quote]

Richard: Can you make a guide how to use the VeraProximity Geofence app (Android) together with the PLEG app (Vera)?
My problem is that when the phone (Nexus 5) witching between gps and wifi which happens several times per day even if I only am inside my house, the phone think that I am on another specifik location (seems like it choose another location every time).
This result in spamming me with Enter/Exit messages.

It seems like your solution solve my issue?

Vera Proximity has multiple options to help with this:.

1. If your phone supports sensors (Accelerometers and Magnetometers) I use these to sense motion.
    So you can turn this on in settings … Then if it tries to transition a fence, but the phone is just sitting on your desk or table (as confirmed by the sensors) then the
    event is ignored.

2. You can lower the accuracy threshold … Often the uncertainty of location with cell phone triangulation is higher. The problem is that if it’s to low … it takes a while before the GPS locks in … So if you go from Inside (Cell Phone Triangulation) to Outside (GPS) it takes a while before GPS has good accuracy, so if you exit the GeoFence before the accuracy improves … you will miss it.

3. You can increase the GeoFence radius.
    This improves the chance that Cell Phone Triangulation and GPS will show you inside the GeoFence.
    This also gives your phone longer time when you go from inside to outside to improve it’s accuracy.

NOTE: Weather the GeoFence software uses GPS, Cell Phone triangulation, or Wifi is determined by Google software.

How Wifi works … is that if you are on Wifi and it gets a good GPS signal … it will tag that Wifi network with a location … Then if you later come back to that Wifi network it will know it’s location even if the GPS is not working.

[hr]
How I use GeoFencing in Vera with PLEG is as follows:

I have two GeoFence arround my house.

Inputs:
InnerFence Inner Fence Indicates Inside
OuterFence Outer Fence Indicates Inside

In PLEG

Arrive: OuterFence; InnerFence
Depart InnerFence; OuterFence
HOME: OuterFence and Arrive

In Vera Proximity:
First: I have created:

• 1 new location called InnerFence with a fence called InnerFence (radius 100m)
  • 1 new location called OuterFence with a fence called OuterFence (radius 100m)
    Both location is located at my house. I checked use sensors, added my credentials and added a device name.
    What reporting intervalls should I use?
    What accuracy treshold should I try with?
    What reporting interval should I try with?
    Is this correct?

In Pleg:
I have installed an app with the name: Program Logic Event Generator (PLEG). But I cant find the settings that you refer to, where do I enter this?