set up GE45601 remote control

I am not very enamored by Vera. Their istructions leave a lo to be desired. However, I followed these instructions to add a couple of GE45601 remotes and it worked as instructed. However, for what ever reason, the Vera stopped acting as the primary controller and the only solution was to start all over un-pairing and then re-pairing all of my devices after I downloaded and installed an update to the firmware. Now I have gotten to the GE remotes. Do they have to be un-paired before they can be re-paired and if so how do you do that? Also during the re-pairing of the remotes do I have a choice of making the remotes primary or secondary?

A Network Reset on the GE remotes should clear them out. Then include them with Vera. If you put the remote in Receive mode, they will become secondary (unless you did a controller shift on Vera).

If you copy from remote to remote, chose Secondary on the sending remote.

If you want to be able to trigger scenes from #2 than you must include #2 on Vera. If you only want to control lights from #2 then you could copy from #1 to #2. If you’re looking to ‘clone’ #1, then you could also include #2 on Vera and then copy #1 to #2. That way you don’t have to set up the key assignments on #2.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply, I went ahead and bit the bullet on adding a second remote. (cloned #1 to #2) As far as I can tell, I have all of my outlets and lights working and I added -3- Groups, to control my yard lighting. So far, everything is okay, (maually pressing each button that was assigned on #1 and manually pressing each button on #2)
BUT I am waiting on Vera to start up and then I can tell if she runs okay. Before I had added any remotes, Vera would fail to turn on some scenes and fail to to trun off some that were on. Support says they know about it and it has been corrected in the next version.

When I added the first remote to Vera, the scenes showed up but I wasn’t able to run but one of them and even then I couldn’t terminate it. I had to do a All on and then a All Off.

Are all remotes this hard to set up? My 45601 nearly finished me, its now gathering dust on the shelf. I gave up on trane tstat control. I just want to turn lights off/on/dim. Don’t even want to do scenes. Anyone recommend an easy to include, easy to setup remote. This is about the only time I miss my x10 devices and the simple to setup x10 remote.

Include as secondary to get the network information. Then assign devices to the keys. Perhaps label them. Done. What specific part is troublesome for you? (I know you had issues getting Vera to stay primary, but apart from that stuff is pretty easy to configure, I think.)

I’ll give it another try (after backing up my vera). Its not that its hard or confusing, just sometimes I get on a roll with something (or against something). With this beastie I was longing from some dip switches or rotary selectable addresses from the simple x10 days if you know what I mean.

I realize these are not just a dumb remote control and are secondary controllers but what a pain they can be to just setup for something simple. (Then again I don’t blink an eye pairing up an hsm100 or a schlage deadbolt, both of which others can’t stand and seem to fight with) Guess we all have our least favorite devices, in my case … secondary controllers. 8^)

OK, brain is fried.

I have the 45600 remote (no lcd).

1. I have paired it with vera, it shows up as ‘#4_scene controller’
  2. I made a scene called ‘test remote on’
  3. in events type tab, ‘a scene is activated’ is selected, ‘which scene number’ is 1 (which I assume means button 1)

This works, the light turns on (but off does not work).

So I need to create an off scene? Can someone explain what the settings should be? Event, activated or deactivated, and scene number to correspond with button 1? thanks.

You need to re-add the remote to Vera (same way you did the inclusion the first time). Vera then transfers the scene to the remote. The remote will then automatically put the expected behavior under the Off button.

I’m having trouble pairing my remote as a secondary controller. I have paired a bunch of HA07s so I have done similar pairing before, but am still confounded by this one.

I reset the GE45601 by holding SETUP for five seconds, then selecting NETWORK, then RESET, then OK.

Then, while my Z-wave light is still blinking slowly, I back up to TRANSFER and hit OK. At this point, my remote displays “PRIMARY”. I don’t want the remote to be primary, so I right arrow to SECONDARY, and hit OK. Then, it asks ALL or NETWORK ONLY. I have tried both choices, but neither results in the remote pairing.

I’m sure I am doing something very simple incorrectly. Any help would be appreciated!

-David

@tripletdad,
The two modes you mention are modes to transfer TO another remote. ‘Secondary’ is to transfer to a secondary controller and keep it a secondary controller. ‘Primary’ is to transfer to a secondary controller and make it a primary controller (aka a ‘controller shift’). So you use these on the ‘sending’ unit.

The mode you’re looking for is to receive information. That’s the other option in that menu: ‘Receive’.

oTi@,

Thank you! That did it! I assume I repeat the procedure after I have assigned a few scenes to the buttons, yes?

By any chance, would you be able to give me instructions for configuring a 45600 as a secondary controller? I’ve tried SETUP > 697, which paired the remote to Vera2, but after I assign some scenes to it and try to repeat the process to download them to the buttons on the remote, it doesn’t “take”.

Thanks again,

David

Correct.

By any chance, would you be able to give me instructions for configuring a 45600 as a secondary controller? I've tried SETUP > 697, which paired the remote to Vera2, but after I assign some scenes to it and try to repeat the process to download them to the buttons on the remote, it doesn't "take".
[url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6063.msg38864#msg38864]Linking[/url] to the other thread.

Something is still not working though.

Now that the 45601 appears in Dashboard, I associated it with scene events for buttons 1, 2, and 3 (as I have done successfully with the HA07). Then I repeated the “RECEIVE” process, and got the fast flashing z-wave light on the Vera2 indicating receipt, but when I push the buttons, they say “EMPTY” on the LCD and nothing happens with my lights.

Is the procedure somehow different for these GE remotes?

Also, I see you linked to the 45600 thread where I also posted a problem. Any thoughts on how to get that remote working as a secondary would also be appreciated. Thanks again!

-David

Are you sure you hit the ‘scene’ button first (on the remote) and then a number key?

BTW, you can trigger your scene without re-including the remote; for test purposes. Re-including is necessary to make the remote aware of the scenes, so the ‘Off’ part of the button works too.

Yes! There were two problems…

1. I didn’t know to hit the “Scene” button. Once I did that, two of my three lights worked!
  2. The third lamp was turned off manually by one of my daughters! Once I turned it back on at the lamp, the remotes worked great!

Thank you so much. You’ve been an amazing help.

-David

Posted this in another thread in the remotes forum, but no replies.

I have two of these, and I’ve paired one with vera and have some scenes working (using on buttons only).

I want the second one to be an exact copy of the first. Are there any shortcuts? Can I copy the settings from #1 to #2?

Do i still need to pair #2 to vera?

It’s pretty easy to pair #2 and duplicate the scenes, just checking for better ways.

Yes; #2 needs to be included into your network in order to be able to control any devices.

It's pretty easy to pair #2 and duplicate the scenes, just checking for better ways.
You probably can't copy from secondary controller to secondary controller (assuming Vera is your primary); and it would probably mess up Vera's administration of #1 and #2. So I'd add a second event to the scenes in question that trigger on the corresponding button press on #2.

This thing is nuts…
i have created a single scene added to 7. (turn on light )
did the add z-wave → transfer - receive. this worked.
button 7 on the remote turns on the light.

now, how do i turn it back off ? button 7 on my remot has ‘on’ and ‘off’

do i need to make another scene and attach it to the ‘scene deactivate’ event ?

This is boneheaded. i will have to make 30 scenes so i can control 15 devices …
who invented this stupidity ? The vera should detect a Ge remote , create 36 empty scenes called on1 to on18 and off1 to off18. that way we can fill in the blanks and we only need to add this crap once.

I found it to be such a pain that its sitting on my shelf gathering dust.

once you set up the on scene for the light, repeat the pairing with the remote. Vera will set up the remote to turn off the light when you press the off side of the scene button.