Securing and stabilizing the Vera by taking it off the grid

It depends on the drift. I think the vera gets an ntp updates every few minutes already. I have been reading up on ntp and the drifts different machines have and how the different ntp services handle it. If you read some of my older posts, I found that the vera uses two recurring ntp services for long term updates and a third one at boot up which I cleaned up with my mod scripts. I am being a bit anal at the moment and am running testing on my simulator for which the system time is being handled by ubuntu 18.04.2 with a very fancy ntpd service. The more recent ntpd uses a complex algorithm to adjust drift instead of straight updating the time. It makes minor corrections every time it runs and I just set mine up to run once a minute so that the correction never hits 1s. I had chosen on my veramods to keep ntpclient instead of ntpd and I may change this based on what I just learned.

I am trying to validate on my simulator first before deciding if I want to port it to the vera.

Oh yes itā€™s adjusttime vs settime (from ollllld memory). But if itā€™s getting an update every few minutes thereā€™s no way in hell it should get out by a second. Ever.

C

Thatā€™s the theory yesā€¦ but in practiceā€¦ I donā€™t know. The vera is special that way and this is just a hunch I want to make sure I eliminate this possibility.

1 Like

Well I have now proof that this is happening. Just got an exit code 0 tonight and the log shows this

01 06/23/19 23:59:05.266 e[31;1mAlarmManager::Run callback for alarm 0x8faee0 entry 0x1408b28 type 15 id 57768 param=(nil) entry->when: 1561359209 time: 1561359545 tnum: 1 slow 0 tardy 336e[0m <0x7ed80520>
03 06/23/19 23:59:05.267 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::Reload: TimeJump Critical 1 m_bCriticalOnly 0 dirty data 1 running 1 <0x7ed80520>

Thatā€™s over 5 minutes (assuming thatā€™s epoch time stamp) . Barking

I forget did you ever set a cron to sync it to ntpd?

C

Obviously the system time is not off by 5min and verified this. This is due to the Alarm manager getting stuck it seemsā€¦ I am still investigating

There are so many traps that reload the Luup engine that itā€™s very tricky to get them all. I managed to have from 2 days to 15 without reloads with no apparent differences. Memory seems to be better, so there are scripts somewhere reloading the engine under specific circumstances.

Indeed and I have scrubbed all the shell script in the firmware already to eliminate all of them (part of the veramods). The only ones left are within the luup engine itself and I am after this alarm thingy causing a time jump at the moment. I too have observed great variation with my record nearing 20 days. Hopefully 7.0.30 will fix more of these.

1 Like

Updating script in first post to correct a typo in the script.

Waking an old thread as Iā€™m struggling with log uploads again.

I canā€™t for the life of me work out how I fixed it from this thread, but symptoms are that /etc/cmh/servers.conf has its log server entry owverwritten

/etc/hosts has a hard coded ip for that to my LAN FTP server:
192.168.70.250 oem-log3.mios.com

192.168.70.250 oem-log4.mios.com

ping oem-log3.mios.com
64 bytes from oem-log3.mios.com (192.168.70.250): icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=0.381 ms

Using an ftp client I can log on to that ip with the user and pass in the servers.conf butā€¦

Failed to upload file: /var/log/cmh/Init-NetworkMonitor.log_2019-12-01_18-09-11.gz

Failed to upload file: /var/log/cmh/InternetOk.log_2019-12-01_18-09-11.gz

Failed to upload file: /var/log/cmh/LuaUPnP.log_2019-12-01_18-09-11.gz

etc etc

Help?

C

Let me get this straightā€¦ are you trying to get the vera to upload these logs to another server?
Or are you trying to use the built in backup function to download your logs from a local server? Or are you uploading your log files to the mios servers? From your description, it sounds like the latter. I am not using the mios server and have disconnected from it a while ago (it was the point of this thread) but I am confused by your LAN ftp servers having a mios server address.

Sorry chap.
Trying to make Vera upload my logs to my personal FTP on site. This was the state before I upgraded to 7.30

The reason the Mios servers resolve to a local IP is that one of the fixes discussed was to edit /etc/hosts
Needed because somehow the host name (but not the user / pass) in servers.conf keeps getting overwrittenā€¦

Cheers

Fixed it I think. Nothing to do with DNS, but rather the limitations of the FTP server and its root folder. The issue is in /usr/bin/Rotate_Logs.sh:

curl -s -S -f --connect-timeout $CON_TIME --max-time $MAX_TIME -u ā€œ$ftpUser:$ftpPassā€ -T ā€œ$upLogā€ ā€œftp://$ftpServer/${pkap}/${pkap}_$(echo $upLog | awk -F ā€˜/ā€™ ā€˜{print $NF }ā€™)ā€ 1>>$log_file 2>&1

I have to alter this to a path that makes senseā€¦
C

Ahhā€¦ I see now. Thanks for clarifying. I am not sure this thread ever addressed FTP though so this is what got me confused. Good that you got it figured out.

The log upload is FTP. Letā€™s not go there!

C

@rafale77 I just upgraded to Firmware v.7.0.31 and followed your instructions to set up extroot again. Iā€™ve been using Home Assistant in Docker on a Synology for a year to control zwave devices via the vera plus, and now iā€™m wondering how best to take the vera off the grid after the upgrade. Do these mods still work, or is there a better way? I see you have Nuke-Vera now, and Iā€™m wondering if that might be the right path to turn the vera plus into a simple bridge for HA to use. Thanks so much for your efforts, and if you can point to me to any instructions, Iā€™d be very grateful. All the best! Many thanks to you!

Sadly, @rafele77 got kicked off the Forum thus can no longer reply. He was our #1 contributor, so I hope someone equally knowledgeable and helpful can step up to fill his shoes! :frowning:

Dang @LibraSun thatā€™s unfortunate. During ā€œstay at homeā€ orders, I decided to revisit my Vera/ HA configs for upgrades, and I may have ultimately ā€œfixed something that wasnā€™t really brokenā€. I spent a couple of hours reading this forum, trying to catch up with all the changes in the last year, and itā€™s a lot to read (for sure). If anyone here can point me to instructions for running the Vera Plus off-grid, Iā€™ll be eternally grateful. All the best.

1 Like

If you just use the zwave part, just block your Vera from accessing the internet using your firewall. This will work the same way.

Wait, what? How did @rafele77 get kicked off for spam? I have never seen a post with anything other than a fully reasoned and topical comment.

This site is now about 15% less useful and informative.

3 Likes

Thats insane hes one of the 3 best people here. Sorin must go.

2 Likes