Securing and stabilizing the Vera by taking it off the grid

This is strange. I just checked mine and it has not been updated since I did a firmware update on Apr 9th. I consciously copied it over. It might be updating only if it sees something not usual in it. There is also a server.conf.default. Maybe try to edit that one as well?

Done

Will watch with curiosity

C

Not good. Overwritten again, although even more odd:

Log

Server_Log=

Server_Log_Alt=

Use_Server_Log_Alt=0

Server_Log_User=$verauser

Server_Log_Pass=$verapass

Which matches the current content of servers.conf.default

C

Would be interested to see which process does this. I have never observed the overwrite of this file…

Hmmm

I’ve just edited the crontab to comment
0 0 * * * /mios/usr/bin/CheckForMissingFiles.sh #CheckForMissingFiles

C

That would be a first step… somehow I don’t have this line on my crontab…

So far so good…

C

Not so far so good. /etc/cmh/servers.conf keeps getting overwritten

I think with the version in /mios/etc/cmh

I’ve set /etc/cmh/servers.conf to r r r to see if that stops it as I can’t edit the version on the mios partition :smiley:
C

quick question, instead of trying to fight the servers.conf, why not just edit the hosts file and redirect the DNS lookup to your own FTP server ?

@rafale77, the unplanned LUUP reloads may be related to UPnP activity on the LAN. A few years ago, I isolated my Vera to a separate VLAN, and unplanned reloads dropped to almost zero from multiple times a day… I will go many weeks now without a reload (other than the normal monthly cron.

Give that a try and see if the vera stabilizes.

1 Like

That’s a possibility. Challenge is that the user and pass are also changed. I could set a new user / pass on the ftp server I guess.

So far nothing changed on the servers front so let’s see

C

Fascinating. Overwritten again 1155 , but only the host name

Soooo

/etc/hosts edited . We shall see

C

Yes, you do need to create a matching user/pass on your FTP server. My /etc/hosts file survived the firmware upgrade I did last night. Another benefit is that if I need to call support, I just comment out the entries in the file and the vera just goes back to happily logging to Mios servers if they need it.

Thanks, these are great suggestions. I have tested something which may be similar in… having killed all the upnp services on the vera and killed the NetworkMonitor program running in the background which indeed has triggers a script which reloads the luup engine. My system is overall pretty stable (and faster) now and it in big part with the mods I made. I am left with a luup reload every 10-20 days I have not yet quite figured out and believe is due to something in my zwave network.

Just done that as well…

Currently I’ve reset servers.conf and edited hosts
If Servers gets updated it only ever seems to overwrite the log server IP, nothing else (boggle)
Although I have just found an extra line at the end of my edited config files which may have a bearing.
Let’s see!

C

You have a good point. I have had specific brand dying Zwave devices cause havoc in my vera several times (I am looking at you Linear/Evolve/GoControl) . As I removed them, my mesh stabilized and so did the few times I had clusters of reloads.

Its been a few years but with my troubleshooting my vera instability but it started I think when I was adding media servers and clients to my lan like Plex, Squeezebox, and others. I assume the vera UPnP service had a big memory leak within it that was never fixed. Your disabling the service is also a good step to stabilize.

I am not sure if unchecking auto-discovery in Network Settings does the same or not. I suspect not.

So how do we stop Networkmonitor from starting again? Any clues?

Files are still OK, but this started itself up.

Cheers

C

I edited the /etc/init.d folder by adding a “exit 0”

Sorry to be dense… you edited the folder? As in renamed it? Or edited one of the files in the folder?

Cheers

I'm going to guess check_internet ?

C

Sorry for the previous lazy answer… You are not dense. Ok that did not come across right either, I hope you understand what I mean. It is actually the /usr/bin/Start_NetworkMonitor.sh file which should have been modified by my modvera script if you applied it.

mine currently looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

# SVN : $Id: Start_NetworkMonitor.sh 11683 2014-06-20 09:19:33Z florin $

#Copyright (C) 2008 Mi Casa Verde, Inc., a Nevada Corporation
#                    www.micasaverde.com
#           1 - 702 - 4879770 / 866 - 966 - casa
#This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
#This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY;
#without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

exit 0

log "Terminating Start_NetworkMonitor.sh"
log "===END==="