Securing and stabilizing the Vera by taking it off the grid

Yeah stat I installed OK.

What’s odd though is that procps-ps is installed (in /usr/bin)

But there’s also a ps in /bin as part of busybox.

This is the same as on an original Secure though, but I’m surmising that the original busybox version handled “ps a” OK:

root@:~# ls -alt drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Feb 25 19:52 . lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Feb 25 19:52 ps -> /mnt/mtdblock6/bin/busybox drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Feb 21 18:00 changes drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 4096 Feb 21 17:52 .. -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 604 Feb 20 16:37 redoextroot.sh -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1972 Feb 19 13:32 extroot.sh drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jun 25 2018 .ssh root@:~# ./ps aux PID USER VSZ STAT COMMAND 1 root 1444 S /sbin/procd 2 root 0 SW [kthreadd] 3 root 0 SW [ksoftirqd/0] 5 root 0 SW< [kworker/0:0H] 6 root 0 SW [kworker/u4:0] 7 root 0 SW [migration/0] 8 root 0 SW [rcu_bh] 9 root 0 SW [rcu_sched]

[code]root@:~# /bin/ps aux
/bin/ps: invalid option – a
BusyBox v1.29.3 () multi-call binary.

Usage: ps

Show list of processes

w       Wide output[/code]

In any case I chose to remove the symlink for ps from /bin to busybox to sort it, so in theory /usr/bin version will always be used (as long as /usr/bin is in PATH of course)

Ohh yeah I have had to do this on my vera simulator as well. I don’t remember doing it on the plus though.

Rafale looking at your mods, I’m struggling to see how you have modified Log rotation? I’m wanting to store rather more logs for troubleshooting. Can you explain?

Many thanks
C

Cayman, I am out of town this week and will have a hard time looking into it. I just remember that the log rotate runs as a function of how much space the logs occupy and you can set a limit. It is all in the RotateLog.sh in the /usr/bin folder I believe. You can check that script and change the limit. It is actually fairly well commented.

No panic at all :slight_smile: . I can see the comments but little concerned about some of the other comments that the changes get overwritten.

Will have a prod :slight_smile:

Cheers!

C

[quote=“Catman, post:223, topic:199140”]Rafale looking at your mods, I’m struggling to see how you have modified Log rotation? I’m wanting to store rather more logs for troubleshooting. Can you explain?

Many thanks
C[/quote]

Another option if you want to store more logs is to just have the log rotation script FTP it to your own server vs the MIOS servers. It is a trivial change to make it work . I have years of log files stored on my NAS.

Ahh! Edit defaultLogsServer=“logs1.mios.com

Cheers!

C

yes that is in the servers.conf file I think. You can also edit the /etc/hosts file to point to your own FTP server. create a user/pass matching the config file. I posted this a couple of years ago :
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,37156.msg277291.html#msg277291

Each FW update may reset the configuration to default however.

[quote=“niharmehta, post:228, topic:199140”]yes that is in the servers.conf file I think. You can also edit the /etc/hosts file to point to your own FTP server. create a user/pass matching the config file. I posted this a couple of years ago :
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,37156.msg277291.html#msg277291

Each FW update may reset the configuration to default however.[/quote]

Thanks I think your way is simpler :slight_smile:

C

A week ago, I bought a Harmony Elite, installed the Plug-in, and all was working very well…except. Except I went from 1 or 2 LUUP starts a day to 1 or 2 per hour. For a whole week. Vera never seemed to settle down. Yesterday, my router was starting to act up a little, causing problems with recording HDHomeRun and PlayOn, and streaming recordings to the Roku. It had been many weeks since it was rebooted.

That not only fixed my network, but Vera is back to LUUP restarts about once or twice a day.

Indeed there seems to be some strange sensitivity of the vera to the network. I have been goofing around with some new unifi switches and they have caused some luup reloads during the setup. This is in spite of all my mods so… really has some room for improvements.

My servers.conf file was overwritten the 10th April for no obvious reason.

Odd, that

C

This is strange. I did not observe this. What changes to the file did you see?

My custom server name was replaced with the mios(3?) for the ftp server.

Log

Server_Log=oem-log3.mios.com
#Server_Log_Alt=oem-log4.mios.com
Use_Server_Log_Alt=0
Server_Log_User=$myuser
Server_Log_Pass=$mypass

Even more odd was that the user and pass remained the same. Sanity check, though (cos I know that makes no sense)

Went to look at archived logs on my NAS
Nothing from April 10th and on
ran Rotate_Logs.sh --force

Everything failed on upload.
to

Copied my own servers.conf file back and all good

Now, I suddenly think of it I wonder if I managed to edit the ‘master’ copy somewhere so it’s broken, and that was copied over with my user and pass details, but not the server IP?

C

There is a script in the vera which checks for files and replaces them if they are missing. Have not seen one which replaces them if they have been modified so is it possible it is something you did?

Hey, anything is possible, but I’ve hardly been on the thing since I re-extrooted and sorted out logging again.

I’ll have to watch to see if it repeats

Cheers!

C

And it did.

/etc/cmh# ls -ltr servers.conf
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 2043 Apr 15 16:21 servers.conf

Log

Server_Log=oem-log3.mios.com

#Server_Log_Alt=oem-log4.mios.com

Use_Server_Log_Alt=0

Server_Log_User=$myuser

Server_Log_Pass=$mypass