Schlage Lock with motorized deadbolt?

I also have one of these schlage touchscreen locks. I wish I could tell you the exact procedure I went through to get it associated with my veralite, but I can’t remember all the details. I do know that I failed to get it working by using veralite while on batteries. I ended up plugging the vegalite in right next to the door, and ran a long network cable over to it so I could initiate a full power pairing. That is what finally got it working.

I am seeing the same issues with the lock though as others have mentioned. I have definitely seen it stop working such that the touchpad is not even responsive. This has led to me carrying around the key. I’ve also seen it fail to configure a couple of times, and some combination of power cycling the veralite and the lock has solved that.

The polling does seem to be an issue. I haven’t received any notifications for the door locking or unlocking when I have manually locked/unlocked the door. It does seem to work most of the time from the vera web interface though.

I think the firmware on these locks is pretty buggy. For instance during my initial install it decided it was installed backwards so it wouldn’t actually move the lock correctly. I had to factory reset it to fix that.

Hey guys, I’m a noob (first post, yay!), and I don’t have a Vera yet. However, I have been searching for a while for keypad entry locks for my garage, but I I’m going to go with Z wave when I make the plunge. First I stumbled across Honeywell’s Tuxedo thing ::slight_smile: But then found micasaverde ;D

Anyways, one thing I found with reviews on the motorized deadbolts is the ridiculously short battery life. With the doorknobs, the battery only powers the button lights and internal latch. When you pull on the handle it either catches the latch or just doesn’t do anything. So the battery lasts a long time. For the deadbolt however, the battery has to physically pull back the deadbolt, and you can expect to go through a lot of batteries or be constantly recharging and swapping.

Just something to keep in mind.

This is exactly the point I always try to tell people.

And not only that, but let’s say you want to remotely lock the door. If your door is not closed perfectly, and the bolt doesn’t line up perfectly with the hole, and your batteries are not new enough, the motor may not have the power required to lock the door when the bolt starts rubbing on the sides of the hole trying to realign the door. With the disconnecting doorknob lock, if the door is closed, it will lock/unlock regardless easily every time (with next to no battery energy used).

Of course, the only point of concern is to make sure you have designed the door latch components well enough that the spring bolt by itself will be burglar proof enough to satisfy you (eg: undefeatable with a butter knife). I reinforced the strike plate with the biggest one I could find, screwed it into my house frame with six big long screws. So at this point, if someone wants to demolish my door frame (instead of smashing some out of the way side window), deadbolt wouldn’t help anyway.

I have owned m kwikset deadbolt that is motorized for several years now and I only replace the batteries maybe twice a year to 4 times a year depending on the amount of use. I have never had the deadbolt have issues with locking. When installing the deadbolt, you just need to make sure that it can lock and unlock with out any issues. Just make sure the deadbolt aligns properly and you’ll have no issues. I prefer the motorized deadbolt over the non versions.

• Garrett

Like @garrettwp, I’m not unhappy with the battery life of the (Kwikset) motorized deadbolt. And sure, expectedly, they don’t last nearly as long as the (Schlage) lever.

I have one of the old schlage deadbolts and I have installed several for other people. I just purchased the new Schlage motorized deadbolt and installed it. Steps to install:

1. Placed lock on ground next to front door. I did this so it would seeneighbor nodes during setup.
  2. Put vera on ground next to lock.
  3. Put vera into pairing mode.
  4. Enter program code on schlage to include device.
  5. Received acknowledgement from lock that it was paired.
  6. Leave lock and vera next to each other for 10 more minutes.
  7. Plugged vera back in and finished configuring the lock.

I will say that i found it much easier to install and pair this lock then the old style. I have installed 6 of the old style deadbolts and it seemed they each had their own issues.

All, I have contacted Schlage with our issues. Hopefully they will have some answers, I will keep everyone up to date as I hear from them.

The lock is installed and works fine with lock, unlock, commands and setting a schedule to lock or unlock door. Issues I have discovered so far:

1. If I unlock the deadbolt from inside the house the status does not change from locked to unlocked.
  2. None of the notifications work for the device. i.e. send email when bad code entered, send email when pin code entered, send email when door opened etc…

Hi,

I finally got the Mi Casa Verde Vera Lite. So after reading all of these instruction and trying to understand it, I purchased the Vera Lite and Schlage Touchscreen Motorized Deadbolt Lock. Pairing was rather easy and simple. Here is what I did

1. First got my Vera Lite setup on my network, connect it via LAN, setup the account and so forth

2. On the Vera Lite control panel access via http://blah blah IP address, I went to the menu and click on Device → Add Device sub menu → Click on Z-Wave Device (first one on the menu)

3. Read the instruction, I went for OPTION #1 (VERA plugged into Network, I bring device close to it). Click on Next

4. At this screen, you can start pairing the device. Pick up your schlage, press the “SCHLAGE” on the touch screen, type in your Program Pin Code, pause 1 second, press 0 to start pairing. You will notice the device will blink really fast.

5. Go back to your computer and you will notice it detected the device. Press next as it will finalize the pairing (up to 2 minutes). Once it is done, there is a TEST button on the screen you can press to see it unlock and lock the device. You know pairing is good.

Now you can go install the deadbolt to your door.

Did all of that in under 10 minutes. Very easy to pair. Haven’t tried the other function yet, just got this setup. Will play with it more…

Cheers…

This lock paired fine… no issues whatsoever with the setup.

HOWEVER there are a few issues I’ve run across that NEED TO BE FIXED ASAP.

1. The status of the lock will lose itself randomly when nothing is going on. It will show correctly as locked and then all of a sudden without changing anything, it will show as unlocked and continue to stay that way until I lock it via the web interface. Locking it manually does not change the status, UNLESS I have first locked it via the web interface when this issue occurs… then until the issue starts again, locking and unlocking it manually will show the correct status!!

2. There is no way to utilize the built in alarm whatsoever. I thought I remembered reading that the alarm going off could flag a notification in the Nexia system…??

EDIT 3. Adding to that list… the device has randomly lost configuration now and has completely shut down (nothing works at the keypad)… I disconnected the batteries and reconnected them and everything is fine again.

[quote=“Outcomer, post:30, topic:174019”]This lock paired fine… no issues whatsoever with the setup.

HOWEVER there are a few issues I’ve run across that NEED TO BE FIXED ASAP.

1. The status of the lock will lose itself randomly when nothing is going on. It will show correctly as locked and then all of a sudden without changing anything, it will show as unlocked and continue to stay that way until I lock it via the web interface. Locking it manually does not change the status, UNLESS I have first locked it via the web interface when this issue occurs… then until the issue starts again, locking and unlocking it manually will show the correct status!!

2. There is no way to utilize the built in alarm whatsoever. I thought I remembered reading that the alarm going off could flag a notification in the Nexia system…??

EDIT 3. Adding to that list… the device has randomly lost configuration now and has completely shut down (nothing works at the keypad)… I disconnected the batteries and reconnected them and everything is fine again.[/quote]

Agree. The lock on it’s own is fairly good. The auto-relock feature what exactly what I wanted. It auto lock 30 seconds from manual unlock. It helps when people forget to lock the door, it auto lock itself.

It working with Mi Casa Verde Vera Lite, was a hit and miss. Adding user / pin works fine. Reliable Status, unreliable. With it being unreliable, I can’t use it o set trigger.

I changed the polling to 300 seconds, that seem to help it from losing the status. I wonder if that will kill the battery faster.

I don’t think its a polling issue with the Vera. I think its something that’s wrong with the locks themselves (the flag variable doesn’t change consistently when the lock status is change).

New problems:

Problem 4. Pin codes do nothing. I cannot arm and disarm my security alarm via the new deadbolts whatsoever. Unless the index number for the pin codes do not reflect accurately (i.e. pin code #1 should be index 1, correct?)

Problem 5. The keypad locked up again tonight. This time, the lights on the keypad were stuck on and the keypad was unresponsive. Had to pull the batteries again!!

Question: For the problems that may be inherent to the Vera (i.e. possibly the status change bug and the pin codes issue), Micasaverde should release a new xml file correct? But what about the firmware updates? How do we go about getting those from Schlage if we don’t subscribe to Nexia?

Just to keep everyone informed, I emailed Nexia Customer Support Sunday night regarding the status update issue as well as the random lockups. I received an email back early Monday morning stating they were contacting the engineering department regarding these issues and would get back to me. A few hours later I received a voicemail that said they were going to resolve my issues and they needed my shipping address… So it sounds like these are known problems and they may already have a fix out. I’ll try and find out what they know of the issue in the morning.

Thanks for the update… I have a nice cardboard box with a new Schlage Touchscreen deadbolt sitting on my desk waiting for me to install it, or return it. Hopefully this is fixed, I really can’t afford to waste too much time with this on my door and not work properly.

So it’s confirmed that nobody has this working without problems?

Please keep us updated.

Sounds like a peach of an item right there.

I’ve been waiting for this one and I guess my wait continues.

Well, today is the third straight day of the keypad locking up. This time I was away and got locked out of my house.

I spoke with Nexia this morning, and the Schlage engineering department is supposed to be sending me 3 new locks. The person I spoke with however did not know if these were known issues… which likely means they aren’t… Especially since I just bought these at Lowes and Lowes just got their shipment in like last week (I.e. probably a newer lot)

I just spoke with Schlage and Nexia support, there stance is that its a Vera issue with the Security Class designation. They are stating that Vera does not have a Security Class that supports the new deadbolt so yes its a firmware issue but a new security class needs to be created that supports the deadbolts before they can really troubleshoot.

So a different answer that what Outcomer has received.

Anyone know is Vera can detect what pin and who from Schlage? Want to setup trigger to notify whose home

@tjoyce,

For reference, could you post the [tt]Capabilities[/tt] and [tt]Version[/tt] strings from the [tt]Settings[/tt] tab of the device?

@oTi

Capabilities - 83,220,0,4,64,3,R,B,RS,W1,|32S,34,93S,98S,99S,112S,113S:3,114,122,128S,133S,134,152,
Version - 6,3,42,86,21

Does this help? Need anything else?