Repeated install breaks deployment system

Being impatient, I clicked the install button while a plugin was in the process of installation. Or, to put it another way, there’s no abiding feedback that my first click on the install button actually triggered any action!

The result was that I got two onscreen messages saying the install had failed. Repeated attempts also fail. My Ezlo Plus is blinking purple. The Install button still shows on the ezlogic UI.

In point of fact, inspecting Ezlo Plus logs, the plugin is clearly installed and running at the new version. The ha-luad.log shows new features logging as expected.

A three-fingered salute of ezlogic (Ctrl-Shift-R) recovered correct state, which was quite a relief when I remembered to do it!

My Ezlo controller is still blinking purple–heck, I don’t even know if that’s related!

ha-update_manager.log:

2022-08-15 12:31:23.857371 INFO : Got request to execute update plan
2022-08-15 12:31:23.858761 INFO : Uninstall a custom plugin epyu_lee.epyu_forward_events
2022-08-15 12:31:23.992935 INFO : A custom plugin was uninstalled, name: epyu_lee.epyu_forward_events
2022-08-15 12:31:28.997030 INFO : Got request to execute update plan
2022-08-15 12:31:28.998212 INFO : Download a custom plugin epyu_lee.epyu_forward_events...
2022-08-15 12:31:44.209476 INFO : Got request to execute update plan
2022-08-15 12:31:44.216398 ERROR: Failed to execute an update plan for custom plugins, internal error for epyu_lee.epyu_forward_events plugin, details: Custom plugin operation is running!
2022-08-15 12:32:16.424988 INFO : Unpack a custom plugin epyu_lee.epyu_forward_events...
2022-08-15 12:32:16.438561 INFO : Validate a custom plugin epyu_lee.epyu_forward_events
2022-08-15 12:32:16.455493 INFO : Install a custom plugin epyu_lee.epyu_forward_events
2022-08-15 12:32:16.773445 INFO : A custom plugin was installed/upgraded, name: epyu_lee.epyu_forward_events
2022-08-15 12:32:33.248545 INFO : Got request to execute update plan
2022-08-15 12:32:33.250118 ERROR: Failed to execute an update plan for custom plugins, internal error for epyu_lee.epyu_forward_events plugin, details: Custom plugin is already installed!
2022-08-15 12:33:57.302188 INFO : Got request to execute update plan
2022-08-15 12:33:57.303849 ERROR: Failed to execute an update plan for custom plugins, internal error for epyu_lee.epyu_forward_events plugin, details: Custom plugin is already installed!

Hi @Lee ,
Can you try restart the controller ? and reinstall the plugin, on market place.

Thanks for your reply, @ugur.cakir

What we’re after here is a wrinkle-free process where our developers/operators don’t have to reboot anything and our clients lives are untroubled by technology. Being human, I and others will duplicate the small mistake I made: we’re not asking for a workaround today, but for you to work toward removing these little hazards as you move from beta to full release of Ezlo.

The specific plugin is of my company’s authorship, not on the marketplace. I did also repeat the removal and installation of our plugin. This did not change the blinking purple light.

I did restart the controller remotely from the EZLogic web site. After a time, the controller light went red, then alternating blue and green. Then flashing orange for several minutes; during which time the EZLogic web site showed the controller offline, but I was able to log in via ssh and observe it working normally.

All the best,

Lee

Hi @Lee ,

You are absolutely right. I can assure we are working on multiple areas to improve user experience and provide wrinkle-free processes. And plugin management is also definitely one of the areas.
I can point to some of the topics we are working about plugins:

• Providing better feedback to users, which includes extra information about plugin validation on the backend, installation process, and also error message displaying
  • Providing more accurate state on plugins, since we introduced a more user friendly way of installing the plugins from cloud , now we are working on combining the local(ssh) and cloud ways of managing/installing plugins.
  • Providing proactive diagnosis on the controllers, which will let us know the errors immediately or even before they are noticed by the customers.

Would you like to share your opinion/requests on how we can improve our experience. We will be glad to hear feedback from our valuable customers.

Thanks.

@osman thanks, that’s great news! It sounds like you mean to address some of the issues I’ve raised before. Have faith that I will raise more, specifically and generally as I come across them. Our controllers are going to be located in places that are either inaccessible to us or expensive to access, depending on how you look at it. So we need to do everything remotely and have it be easy to manage a fleet.

The most general question I can ask about this is: what’s your vision for what the software lifecycle looks like for a plug-in?

• Developer iteration
  • Initial production deployment
  • Version updates in production
  • Issues of management at scale

And, what’s your roadmap look like for delivering on this vision?