Problem adding Schlage deadbolt - Vera1 / UI4

I got one of the Radioshack clearance locks today, starting to regret it already…

I can only find instructions/troubleshooting pertaining to UI2 or UI3, and I am on UI4.

I have factory reset, un-pair and exclude from the network and repeated process to add to the network.

I can add the lock no problem, It appears in the dashboard of UI4, and the lock seems to respond (beeps and 3green flashes) when I add it.

The problem is then that Vera cannot poll it, the lock does not respond to anything and vera indicates a failed to communicate error message, or node is not set up, or unable to get information… Clearly after adding it, vera is unable to communicate with it.

I have also tried a heal process, still same result…

I am running latest firmware of 1.1.1047.

Help!

You may want to do a search of the forums … I remember posts mentioning range restrictions, etc

I have it 6 inches from Vera, so its not range…

Did you look here :

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=1639.0

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=2249.0

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=2649.0

For the most part, the procedure for adding a lock is the same in UI3 and UI4. As long as you follow the steps to the letter, you should be in good shape, hopefully.

Here’s the procedure. Make sure the lock has been EXcluded from Vera before starting this procedure…

-Bring the lock to Vera. Leave Vera plugged in, and connected to the Internet.
-In the Vera UI, click the little Add/Remove Devices icon.
-Select Z-Wave
-Scroll to the bottom, then make sure it says "add 1 device, any node, low power, 30 second timeout.
-Press “go”
-On the lock, enter the 6 digit programming code.
-Press the “Schlage” button.
-When the button stops flashing, press “0” on the lock.
-On the lock, after a few seconds, you should see the “Schlage” button blink green.
-Leave Vera alone for maybe 5 minutes. Don’t bother her at all. The lock should show up as a device that has been added. Don’t be impatient. Vera has to exchange keys and get the lock set up. Again, give her maybe 5 minutes.
-Save the changes in Vera.
-Close the web page, then reload Vera.
-Give the lock a try.

Hope this helps.

[quote=“TheGadgetGuy, post:5, topic:167367”]For the most part, the procedure for adding a lock is the same in UI3 and UI4. As long as you follow the steps to the letter, you should be in good shape, hopefully.

Here’s the procedure. Make sure the lock has been EXcluded from Vera before starting this procedure…

-Select Z-Wave
-Scroll to the bottom, then make sure it says "add 1 device, any node, low power, 30 second timeout.
-Press “go”
-On the lock, after a few seconds, you should see the “Schlage” button blink green.
-Leave Vera alone for maybe 5 minutes. Don’t bother her at all. The lock should show up as a device that has been added. Don’t be impatient. Vera has to exchange keys and get the lock set up. Again, give her maybe 5 minutes.
-Save the changes in Vera.
-Close the web page, then reload Vera.
-Give the lock a try.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

OK I’ve gone through all the steps again, exclude from network, un-pair the device (lock confirms), factory re-set the lock, then attempt to re-add.

Again, I can add the lock to Vera no problem, but the module says ‘unable to get any information on’. After adding it, I waited 10mins, saved, refreshed, logged out, logged in - same thing.

I have an early unit and dongle, I read there were dongle firmware updates and/or replacements, any chance this could be the issue? Anyone know how I can check and confirm??

Thanks…

From http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Schlage_Lock:

1) Vera's Z-Wave dongle must have a built-in security class: Go to Setup -> Devices -> Z-Wave Options, and look at the 'Version'. If the version is 2.40 your dongle does not have the security class implemented. Request a replacement dongle by sending us a support request at the micasaverde.com website (click 'Support'), including your serial number, name, address and email.

For UI4:
Toolbox → Z-Wave device → Option → Version

pkitch,
I was running into the same trouble as you. I think it’s probably mentioned in some of those threads linked above, but here’s the quick fix.

After adding the device to Vera, you MUST hook up Vera to the ethernet WHILE STILL VERY CLOSE to the lock. When the lock is first added, it goes through some extra security measures. This must be done with a direct Z-wave connection, not hopping through other devices.

Bottom line, either drag Vera attached to an ethernet cord all the way to the lock, or take off the lock and bring it to Vera and do the setup there. You’ll see Vera go through the extra security setup instead of that pesky “unable to get information message.”

Hope that does the trick.

[quote=“Ap15e, post:7, topic:167367”]From http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Schlage_Lock:

1) Vera's Z-Wave dongle must have a built-in security class: Go to Setup -> Devices -> Z-Wave Options, and look at the 'Version'. If the version is 2.40 your dongle does not have the security class implemented. Request a replacement dongle by sending us a support request at the micasaverde.com website (click 'Support'), including your serial number, name, address and email.

For UI4:
Toolbox → Z-Wave device → Option → Version[/quote]

OK I have version 2.40 L:1 which I believe then means issue. So support will send me a new one? There’s no serial number that I see on it, but I’ll put in the request and then start waiting I suppose…

Thanks for all the help on this…

[quote=“maks327, post:8, topic:167367”]pkitch,
I was running into the same trouble as you. I think it’s probably mentioned in some of those threads linked above, but here’s the quick fix.

After adding the device to Vera, you MUST hook up Vera to the ethernet WHILE STILL VERY CLOSE to the lock. When the lock is first added, it goes through some extra security measures. This must be done with a direct Z-wave connection, not hopping through other devices.

Bottom line, either drag Vera attached to an ethernet cord all the way to the lock, or take off the lock and bring it to Vera and do the setup there. You’ll see Vera go through the extra security setup instead of that pesky “unable to get information message.”

Hope that does the trick.[/quote]

I have the lock assembled but not installed - it is 6 inches away from Vera, so not the distance, but per below, it sounds like the issue is due to the dongle firmware I have. Hope I can get a fast replacement…

OK received the new dongle today, and this gets a little further but still fails.

I can again pair the lock, then it spends about 5 minutes getting device keys, then fails.

I have been sure to use full power inclusion, un-pair, reset etc ahead of time. This is really starting to P me off, it just flat out doesn’t seem to work.

This is how far I get:

-Select Z-Wave
-Press “go”
-On the lock, after a few seconds, you should see the “Schlage” button blink green…

…this is where I think I have an issue, instead of flashing green, it flashes fast amber for maybe 30 seconds, then three fast reds which I assume means fail. During this 30seconds, I have tried re-adding the dongle and also leaving it out for this period. Makes no difference. The dongle flashes/flickers a couple of times during this process, especially to begin with - it looks like it is communicating.

Again, the lock is 6inches from Vera, and I have read/researched everything I can find.

Any last ditch thoughts or suggestions? Vera1, UI4 latest firmware, new dongle…

Maybe 6 inches is a little too close perhaps?! Its sounds funny but there is such a thing as too much signal! I’ve had the best success from about 1-2 feet away whilst performing the inclusion from the dashboard whilst vera has an network connection.

I don’t have a good suggestion if you are following the advice already given. I can say this worked for me with a V1 with only minor issues (all related to me following directions). The only difference was that before I rebooted the Vera back on the TCP/IP network I returned it to it’s operating location as my logic was if it could not communicate with the lock from it’s normal location, then I had problems. That is how it worked for me, pairing from about 3 feet away, rebooting on TCP/IP back in normal location.

Also not sure if it matters, but I do also have a Schlage Dimmer, which can communicate with the lock I believe, as opposed to other Z-wave devices.

I’ll try it tonight - I am willing to rub voodoo dolls together at this point!!

[quote=“Chimpware, post:13, topic:167367”]I don’t have a good suggestion if you are following the advice already given. I can say this worked for me with a V1 with only minor issues (all related to me following directions). The only difference was that before I rebooted the Vera back on the TCP/IP network I returned it to it’s operating location as my logic was if it could not communicate with the lock from it’s normal location, then I had problems. That is how it worked for me, pairing from about 3 feet away, rebooting on TCP/IP back in normal location.

Also not sure if it matters, but I do also have a Schlage Dimmer, which can communicate with the lock I believe, as opposed to other Z-wave devices.[/quote]

I have the lock dis-assembled next to Vera in her usual location. As per the suggestion below, I will move a little further away to see if that makes a difference.

I think the only part I am unsure of on at this point is when to put the dongle back in. I am iniating the add, then as soon as lock acknowledges, I put it back into Vera. But again the lock continues to flash amber for around 30 seconds. It seems like dongle and lock are communicating but maybe timing out.
Do you know if I can pair without removing the dongle - this I will try tonight, not sure if possible or how to instigate…

Thanks all…

you should not be removing the dongle at all in this process

Wait.

You are bringing the lock to Vera, right??

That’s your problem. Don’t take the dongle out at all. Period.

Re follow the directions I posted at the beginning of this thread, WITHOUT ever removing the Z-Wave dongle.

Hi –

I have had the same experience adding Schlage locks as you and I received the same advise.

What finally worked for me was resetting the lock using the following procedure:

http://part2.schlage.com/docs/System_Reset_B.pdf

Focus only on resetting the lock …

Do you by any chance have your devices set so that they will not automatically configure? I have had untold trouble with my vizia 4 button scene controllers, so my overall Vera network is not set to auto configure.

Vera is still the primary, but all scenes controlled by the vizia in wall controllers were set up and then transferred over so that Vera doesn’t monkey them up. (Otherwise lights/buttons etc don’t work properly for me).

So in UI4, unless you go to the Settings Tab and change the Automatically Configure setting to YES within your specific device window- IE the Schlage Lock in this case- it will NEVER finish configuring even if you manage to get it to pair.

I keep forgetting this as I don’t set up complicated devices regularly, but I was having the exact same issues that you have been experiencing- it would pair and then give empty responses, not configured errors etc.

I ticked the box over to yes, and Vera finally finished the config. Only added and removed the darn thing 3 or four times. D’oh!

[quote=“TheGadgetGuy, post:17, topic:167367”]Wait.

You are bringing the lock to Vera, right??

That’s your problem. Don’t take the dongle out at all. Period.

Re follow the directions I posted at the beginning of this thread, WITHOUT ever removing the Z-Wave dongle.[/quote]

i don’t see how to instigate the pairing with the dongle in place. Yes, I am bringing the lock to Vera.

I posted I was using Vera1, and your instructions indicate to leave Vera plugged, I assume you mean the dongle…