Preview of Multi-System Reactor

Patrick,

You talked about supporting MacOS. Do you have a build I could start playing with?

This is awesome, i have been missing reactor since my move to HA. Looks very promising can’t wait for the first release!

Great work. I have a synology NAS if you need beta testers for that platform. Currently only running Vera Edge with only Z-wave devices, but like the idea integrating into other platforms due to device cost.

1 Like

Hoping for a ”normal” installation package for Synology NAS, as mine does not support Docker

1 Like

Cant seem to find Docker for my Synology NAS units either (DS218Play and DS214Play)

I have the same units, Synology believe they are not powerful enough to support Docker :worried:

There will be alternatives if your Synology NAS does not/cannot run docker. I have it running on a RPi. There will be options.

6 Likes

I’m looking forward to testing on my HassOS :slight_smile: YAML is not for automation, reactor is :smiley:

3 Likes

I am running Docker on my Synology DS 1517+. I have run Docker without issue since it’s purchase.

1 Like

Reactor is literally what has ebbed my serious interest in moving off of my Vera (other than using it as the radio interface.) HA for me is in “tinker mode.”

2 Likes

Every day I daydream about MSR and its implications, which leads me to ask: Might there come a time when you might prevail upon MSR users to “write modules” (for lack of a better term) that allow MSR to communicate directly with other devices on the network?

I’m thinking of the Logitech Harmony (IR) Remote protocol, whereby customers can either “Learn” or manually provide the necessary keypresses or codes needed to operate a particular consumer device. In turn, Logitech converts that information into a known, downloadable set of instructions that any Harmony remote could utilize.

Thinking “plug-in within a plug-in” essentially. While I recognize this potentially adds complexity where none is welcome, I’m sure, so long as MSR sits on a network and aspires to interoperate widely, I could see it performing certain polling/learning/monitoring functions which a Vera or Ezlo controller might overlook.

cf. Roku plug-in, Sonos, DNLA servers, NAS, etc.

Up front. Day one! That’s the idea. Out of the box, it will work with however your controller supports those devices, but nothing stops anyone from implementing a direct interface to take out the middle-man. One could even write… a ZWave interface… if one was so inclined…

10 Likes

@rigpapa I can’t tell you how excited I am for MSR! As I watched your video, more and more possibilities started popping into my head. Especially when you mentioned that you can run devices on whatever controller best supports them. My Aeotec Doorbell doesn’t really work with Vera so I have to use a silly workaround. And I’ve heard great things about Inovelli light switches, but Vera doesn’t support them either. So now I can hook up those devices in Home Assistant and use MSR to bridge the gap between the two hubs.

Speaking of Home Assistant-- I considered fully switching over to it a few months ago, but stayed with Vera because I couldn’t get the hang of Node-RED… Reactor is the only thing keeping me with Vera. So being able to use Reactor on various types of hubs is really going to free me up to try new things.

I think one of the big questions I’ll get with MSR outside of the Vera Community is “Why? When Node-RED exists…?” I think a lot of people are in the same situation as you. I happen to love Node-RED, but I’m an engineer and have been all my life, although I am finding in my middle age that I have a bit less enthusiasm for learning curves than I used to. :slight_smile: I think for the same reasons that Reactor and PLEG can co-exist and each have fans on the Vera platform, so may MSR co-exist with Node-RED.

Just a quick update while I’m at it…

It’s been an exciting couple of weeks since I first posted this. A few people have emailed me privately wondering where I’ve been, as I haven’t been posting much here (although I look every day, several times a day). I’ve really been head-down getting MSR pulled together (and ignoring the goings-on of the outside world, frankly), alternately switching between breadth and depth. As always, the UI takes far more work than the core, at least for me. A few interruptions have happened as well, and I’ll be on a little break/vacation starting next weekend for a week, but I think I’m still on track for early/mid-February first general preview (I originally said end of Jan to mid-Feb, and right now I feel I need the time to the end of that range). I still have some infrastructure to build around the project (like where and how to report bugs).

I have it up and running on a 4GB RPi4 today, docker-less, playing around with that. It’s crisp. I do all of my development (everything) on an Ubuntu VM allocated 2GB and have no problems (and there’s a lot more going on with that instance than just MSR), so I think the 2GB model should be fine as well, and I will also test with the earlier 3B’s I have around. I’ve got a Jetson Nano sitting here waiting to test, but based on the RPi4, I think the Jetson is going to be a needless expense; just an academic exercise. Pretty cool board, though.

Onward!

10 Likes

Spot on :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I now have a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 with Docker and Hassio up and talking to 2 Vera’s waiting and ready to test :smile:

2 Likes

Will this be able to speak with Openhab 3.0?

1 Like

At some point, assuming it has a suitable API

2 Likes

#1 - Enjoy your break/vacation! Time away is so needed.
#2 - please sign me up for beta, alpha, anything. I just got a Hubitat and I’m incredibly antsy to get my hands on this and start building!

2 Likes

I manage about 20 systems for my business and have had a terrible time with controllers regularly going down. It’s been a couple of years like this, so I’ve been looking for a new home and have been keeping an eye on OpenHAB.

OpenHAB 3.0 looks like the one that’s finally going to give me what I need for the future. I’m testing it now on a RPi4 but the rules engine is not quite there yet. Still need to write code to do anything more than fairly simple rules.

Being able to use Reactor with OH3 would be a game-changer. If there is anything I can do to facilitate, please let me know!

2 Likes