Preview of Multi-System Reactor

Yes, that’s how it’s intended to work. Someone (me, @blacey if he’s willing, or someone else) will need to write an eZLO interface, but MSR is designed to work this way. It uses an object to interface with a system or API, and that object publishes the objects it sees/finds/knows into the Reactor environment. Currently, there is an object called VeraController that you can configure with the IP address of your Vera or openLuup system, and it publishes all devices, rooms, and scenes into MSR’s environment. There is a HassController, and HubitatController, as well. There is a CameraController, for which you provide via configuration the IP address, URL, and auth info for your cameras, and it publishes camera objects into the MSR environment. A WeatherController is configured with your location and account information and draws data from weather APIs to populate weather objects. The future will surely include an eZLO interface object, and as @therealdb offered, objects for direct interface to Shelly and Tasmota (so you could see and control these devices directly, without having to go through an extension on Vera/Hass/HE/other). There is no reason the future could not include a ZWay and/or OpenZWave interface object as well.

The current Vera Reactor has a device replacement tool that appears on the Tools tab when a device specified in conditions or activities is no longer available. This will “grow up” into a more general utility for system-wide device replacements. I am also playing with an idea for temporary replacement of a device (“when this device is referred to, use this one instead for now”), so you can trial-run replacement devices or just quickly patch past a device that has failed (e.g. if a bedroom temperature sensor fails but the thermostat reading is good enough until you get it fixed/replaced).

For current Reactor users, my plan before first public release is to have an import tool that takes the configuration of a Vera-based ReactorSensor and transforms it into MSR’s form with devices mapped to MSR entities. The formats of the configuration data between the two systems are, as you might imagine, very similar, mostly just changes in field names and some light cleanup of the structure to simplify the code in both the UI and Core. It will probably take more time to make the UI for that feature than the feature itself.

That’s right, since devices don’t really identify themselves uniquely in a portable way. That is, Vera has its device IDs, and UDNs (the rarely-used UIDs associated with a device), but if you exclude a Vera device and include it on a C7, none of that data follows the device, so there’s no way to know it’s the same physical unit just moved between controllers. Rather than trying to shoe-horn some kind of unique identifier overlay on both systems, it just seems easier and cleaner to provide a migration tool (“that device is now this device”) that you run once for the device and have done with it. I don’t want people to have to think about UIDs, and really as much as possible, any kind of IDs at all.

ReactorSensors, and yes, as I said above, it will be easy to bring it in, if you wish. There’s also no reason not to leave an automation on the Vera, if that’s what you want to do. Any system is going to come with certain steps that have to be taken to be functional, but I’m trying to minimize these as much as possible, so that any and all migrations are done on the user’s terms and at their leisure. I hate having software force me to change a working environment when I’m new to it and trying to learn how it works, or if I even want to use it. My goal is to make MSR something you can put to work immediately, but if it’s not for you, it hasn’t completely borged your existing setup. So with respect to the importing of ReactorSensors, for example, you might just import your RS into MSR, but disable, not delete, the ReactorSensor, and let MSR take over. If you later decide not to use MSR for that function or at all, you just disable MSR’s rule and re-enable the ReactorSensor. No fuss. No backup/restore or anything that angst-inducing.

Docker anywhere, not just Pi, and that gives it a lot of systems to go it. But it will runnable on systems that aren’t docker-friendly, either. Really the key requirement is nodejs. I’m trying to keep the other dependencies to a minimum. So as I said elsewhere, Windows and MacOS will be good, too.

The issue for the hubs is what’s allowed to run, and that each hub is a completely different architecture, even within the brand (as Vera shows with Edge vs Plus vs Secure, and eZLO with Atom, PlugHub, and the rest). Again, I mentioned above that I’m toying with building a package for Edge/Plus/Secure if I can get nodejs and the dependencies resolved, both so that it’s an easy install/run for any existing Vera user, but also as a way of giving the hardware a second life (long after you migrate off Vera, it could still be sitting there chugging away as your MSR box and be just fine). But nodejs runs in a lot of environments, so there will be lots of choices. The docker containers will be the fast way for the most common, but the ZIP archive is always the swiss-army knife of installers.

Here’s how I think about it. Let’s take the unmentioned first…

Why make MSR when there’s Node-Red? For starters, I love Node-Red, but the fact that I love it may be something of a red flag. It’s a technical product and requires some pretty technical thinking. In a sense, it’s really like the difference between Reactor and PLEG. PLEG is a great and capable tool, but not everybody gets it, and for those that do, the learning curve can be pretty daunting. I’ve always tried to keep Reactor approachable, although it has clearly grown from simpler, nascent beginning. But still, I think most people get it. So I think there’s room in the HA ecosystem for another logic/rules engine.

Second, the most consistent thing I see in the HA marketplace is that each manufacturer’s rules engines are a disappointment to their users at some level. Vera, of course, never evolved a serious rules engine, probably because PLEG came early enough to take the real pressure off the engineering (or marketing) team to get it done. As promising as Hubitat seems, and as much as many people like its Rules Engine, their forums are like this one in that there are lots of posts of bugs, confusion, etc., and even the lead of that subsystem regularly admits is not everything they wish it could be. HomeAssistant… well, writing automations in YAML should, in my non-serious opinion, be considered a human-rights violation. Their GUI, Automation Editor, isn’t nearly up to snuff. So again, I think there’s room for a system that’s not just cross-platform, because maybe you don’t need it to be, but it presents a friendlier and more approachable environment in which to write automations than that which is native to the platform you’re using, be that many or just one. Choices. More choices.

Third, I think cross-platform is not everyone’s concern, but can be an issue for many people because no hub natively supports everything well – another consistent inconsistency in the HA marketplace. To that end, I’d rather have the option of using the best tool for the job, rather than accepting a compromise of 60% performance on thermostats because the platform otherwise satisfies 95% of my device compatibility needs. That’s a horrible trade-off. If eZLO becomes as awesome at ZWave as Melih touts, then let eZLO be the go-to hub for ZWave, but that should not stop you from using Shelly or Tasmota or ESPHome or Tuya devices just because the available (or not) eZLO plugins for those APIs aren’t up to par.

Finally, it’s not going to be least-common denominator. That may be the default view to keep things simple and for the majority of what users routinely use, but it is my unwavering goal to preserve access to as much as possible of the source environment. What you don’t see much of in the video is that any device from the Vera, for example, can be marked for “full data”. That means that device would bring over all of the Vera state variables defined on it, whether those map into a defined MSR capability or not, and you can use them in automations. That works today. I didn’t take the time to cover it in the video, it was already getting too long, but the way I’ve done Sonos plugin devices so far is a good example: there are six predefined capabilities it uses: av_transport, media_navigation, muting, volume and av_repeat. Clearly not everything you can do with Sonos, or the Sonos plugin enables you to do, is covered by these six, but they represent the majority. The rest are accessible just by tagging the device for full data, and you can do that for all devices, or devices of a certain class/criteria, or just a single device for which you have a specific need. It is also possible (today), entirely through configuration, for a user to define a new capability and add it to an existing entity (so you can make “site-specific” capabilities), and even create custom mappings of devices to entities. For example, at the moment there is no device mapping for the DSC Alarm Panel plugin, but you could sit down and create it in your local config, without writing any code or waiting for code support from me, and make the system publish entities sourced from that device so you can see states and perform actions.

So, that’s a bunch of words that basically come down to this: more choice, more approachable.

6 Likes

MQTT is another good candidate for a platform integration. In a multi system environment I’m finding it invaluable to push data from sensors to my luup system. If the logic is in reactor, I think it’ll be very useful to integrate things (miflora, lgtv2mqtt, tasmota, esphome, hue emulator and even zigbee via zigbee2mqtt).

3 Likes

Yes! Very high on my list!

1 Like

Would this run on an Nvidia shield TV running nodejs?

It has a pretty minimal set of dependencies. Most of what it needs are normally included modules, but it does require express, ws, and node-fetch. If those are available, or can be installed, then likely it will run out of the box.

i am very much looking forward to this. let us know if you need beta testers

1 Like

Thank you for the preview!
As I suspected it looks awesome :sunglasses:

Do I dare to ask when it could be possible to try this in windows environment?

1 Like

@rigpapa Looks very promising indeed!! Not only the integration of several platforms and controllers but also the dashboard.
Would like to beta test it when you are ready.
Because not all my devices work on Vera I also use a Fibaro Home Center 2. I must say it is really rock solid with zwave. Via http request 2side communication with my Vera’s is fast.
Is Home Center also on your list for integration? There are lots of people using Home Center here in Europe. API is available. Integration with Imperihome was and with the Home Remote app is possible.

1 Like

@rigpapa, I have started refactoring my ezlo API into a separate npm module that can be installed and used as a package dependency by ReactorMS and my in-work ezlo-homebridge HomeKit bridge. I still need to refactor some unit tests and complete some boilerplate in order to publish it (like, signup for npmjs, etc) but this will make the ezlo-api directly re-usable by others. I had planned to do this eventually but ReactorMS has given me an extra prod. :wink:

That said, one of the nice features of the Ezlo hubs is multicast support. My node API supports multicast but to do so, device commands have to be grouped by identical actions. This grouping is known to the rules engine so it would be great if ReactorMS can ultimately request item actions from a given Controller in command groups.

For example given the following scene actions:

Power-Off Light1
Dim Lamp1 50%
Power-Off Light2
Power-Off Light3
Dim Lamp2 60%
Dim Lamp3 50%
Power-On Light4

Request the following grouped actions:

Power-Off [Light1, Light2, Light3]
Dim 50% [Lamp1, Lamp3]
Dim 60% [Lamp2]
Power On [Light4]

This would enable ReactorMS to use the Ezlo multicast API exposed through my forthcoming npm module that will run scenes much faster (remember @Melih’s lightbulb demo video?). Food for thought.

Finally, when the time is right, with or without documentation, it would be great if you can toss one or two representative Controllers from your current development fork to me (you know where to find me). That way, I can take a look at what will be involved in developing an ReactorMS Ezlo Controller and even provide general Controller feedback.

If someone wrote up an Idiot’s Guide to Creating a VM on a Synology NAS, including steps on setting up the necessary OS and NodeJS environment, I’d hop on board in a second. [EDIT: Turns out a Docker container makes way more sense… see subsequent replies.]
Trying to keep my hardware to a minimum, but if MSR winds up running “best” (as in, widest user audience acceptance factor) on a RaspberryPi, then I’d be game for getting my feet wet on that, too.
This is a stellar development, another of many by Patrick, to whom we all owe a debt of gratitude IMHO. If he were not here, I would not be.

2 Likes

I’m not a developer and like LibraSun I prefer to keep my hardware to a minimum. Next to that I expect many Vera owners who might migrate to Ezlo have the same need. Also new users probably prefer to have one box.
@rigpapa, would it be an option to run this on an Ezlo box or will that never be an option?

1 Like

Hello @rigpapa this is great thing, i’m up for beta tester when there will be beta ready, i have Home Assistant and Vera at my home as production systems. The Ezlo is flanky i dont know its a factory defect or not :slight_smile: but the HA and Vera can be used. I can run the MSR on linux VM or Docker its not a problem.

Best regards

1 Like

I’m currently exploring Synology NAS > Docker app > ____ container (someone may recommend one for this application?), as a means of running MSR 24/7 on my network. Never tried before.

Very informative.

@rigpapa, I have uploaded the initial ezlo-api docs to my GitHub repo https://github.com/bblacey/ezlo-api.git so you can peruse the api at your convenience. Time permitting, I will commit the code in the next couple of days and upload the npmjs package. It is working great in my ezlo-homebridge plugin and hopefully would be useful by someone? for an Ezlo Controller in your Reactor Multi System. The broader the use, the more bullet proof the the api will become. I’m sure you are busily working away on Reactor Multi System but constructive feedback, good and bad, is always welcome.

FYI, here are the initial test results for the ezlo-api npm that verify hub discovery, credentials management, and hub properties. I still plan to cover more aspects of the api with additional test cases, but those api aspects are already working in my ezlo-homebridge plugin.

Finally, I don’t want to hijack your ReactorMS thread so we can take any collaboration to PM/email if you prefer.

2 Likes

my guess is that rigpapa will just publish a docker image of the MSR that you will be able to use, but i may be wrong

1 Like

That’s right. I’ll publish docker images and ZIP archived releases. Even for the ZIP releases, you typically would only need to run one or possibly two commands to resolve dependencies, and then the run command itself.

For Synology, there’s an add-on for docker support you need to install. Just search “docker” in the Package Center. Once the add-on is installed, you’ll then be able to install and run the distribution container.

4 Likes

Exciting!! I had been wanting an excuse to explore both Docker and the VM add-ons for Synology, and now this is the best possible use case.
As always, if there’s any specific way my zealotry for Reactor can be put to good use on your behalf, please just ask. Got a wee bit o’ free time these days.

• Libra

Hey Patrick, looks like you have hit another home run. If you need a guinea pig to test on MacOS, I would be happy to help.

You mentioned that it would have a camera object. Could that be used to manage a NVR. I would like to have my Security cameras managed/ analyzed by an NVR and the great recognision software then when something noteworthy happens, let the home control take appropriate action. Or visa-versa, if the home controller detects motion maybe have the camera system take actions.

Tim

Right now I’m using camera objects that are sourced directly from some IP cameras, and a few sourced from BlueIris (a software NVR).

One of the key design features of this system is to make field-configurable devices possible. I do not want to be on the critical path to getting every device supported. I don’t want other developers who create interfaces for other systems, hubs, or APIs, to have to wait for me to define object classes or capabilities they need for deployment. Everything the system knows about devices comes from configuration, and that configuration can be extended and overridden in the field. And of course, that enables sharing. If you’ve done the configuration for a Whizbang 5K NVR, you can share that with the community, or even offer it for inclusion in future base distributions of the product.

1 Like