PLUGIN: Wink Connect (formerly Wink Hub Controller)

No, a physical wink hub is not required. However, the only devices I have that do not require a hub are the MYQ controller and the philips hue hub.

Any device that connects to a Wink API account could be supported, however the MYQ controller under UI5 is the only one I can confirm as working at the moment. Although the philips huw/lux bulbs appear in the device list for the wink account, they do not report the correct status nor are they controllable… I have not yet determined if this is a Wink API issue or a plugin issue, although I suspect that it is an API issue…

Yes, MYQ support is disabled under UI7. This is not due to the MYQ Vera plugin… it is due to the fact that although MYQ support works under UI5, it does not under UI7…

No, NEST support is not specifically disabled. I have tested the thermostat control with a Z-Wave thermostat (specifically, a 2-Gig manufactured Radio Thermostat CT-30 marketed as a Current Innovations CI-300e) and it works correctly under both UI5 and UI7.

If the NEST is configured in the Wink API as other thermostats, it should work without issue (barring Wink API flaws)… Until someone tries it, it is an unknown.

Not exactly correct…

If you do the root exploit and follow it as instructed, the Wink hub will not “phone home” and will not update its firmware, so you will not lose the "root:… But you will also not be able to use the Wink API (or the IOS/Android app)… This is because the exploit as documented blocks the hubs access to the firmware update servers AND the wink API server AND the Wink API server requires the firmware on the hub be updated beyond the initial firmware. So if rooted, the hub will not be controllable remotely…

If you root the hub, you can then update the firmware manually and keep the root. If you then unblock the API server, you have a rooted hub that will not update its firmware automatically with API access.[/quote]

Thank you, I discovered that this was possible after posting. The easiest root exploit is available when it is fresh out of the box .33 as described here:
http://www.rootwink.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8
Then I guess I’d follow the code posted at here to disable its access:

And if any ssh’ing issues:

I will try to keep it completely isolated from the internet until I think I have followed one of many available tutorials to preserve root access through the manual firmware upgrades.

Fresh out of the box, the Wink Hub is at firmware version 00.00… (the current firmware is 00.56)

The only things that the links you posted miss are:

• edit /etc/default/dropbear to remove the “-sg” from the DROPBEAR_ARGS… these parameters prevent dropbear from accepting a password login (meaning only accept a certificate based login) and prevent a password login for root…

Ideally, the DROPBEAR_ARGS should now be “DROPBEAR_ARGS=-B”, to allow password logins and allow password logins for root and allow blank passwords (now that the root password is blank. This gives a “backup” way to gain a root shell in case you misplace your login certificate.

Once you have exploited the hub and have a root login with your own certificate and copied the authorized_keys to /database and created the ENABLE_SSH file, you should never lose the root… (until they remove the ability to use SSH completely).

Also, the wink hub will not automatically update its firmware… at least not currently… The update is (currently) only performed when you select update in the app, when the app prompts that a firmware update is required… There is also a bug in the wink app that does not allow any control of any device when any hub attached to the account requires an update…

With previous firmware, the need to update the hubs was not reflected in the device status reported by the API… The API now reports that the hub firmware needs updating… A future update to the plugin will incorporate this information so that it is obvious why your devices stop functioning.

@cybrmage - As an FYI, I think you do need to have a Wink controller for this plugin to work. I had previously purchased a Wink Hub, but returned it shortly after seeing its shortcomings. I still have a Wink account with the Wink app on my phone which shows and I can control my Nest and MyQ. I installed the wink plugin - again with the hopes of better integrating my Nest into Vera. Once the app is installed, and it is going thru the detection process and get message no hub detected and the app shows unconfigured. This weekend I will pick up a hub and try again and will update you with the results.

[quote=“cybrmage, post:39, topic:185289”]First off… Do you have un-named devices on your Wink Hub???

second: The IOS app??? what IOS app??? What switch??

third… both logs show the same error, just at different times… There is nothing in the log showing any action being commanded or performed, so I can’t even start to look into that issue…

I did make changes for fix the error in the logs…[/quote]

1. I do have a second switch that cannot be deleted in Wink and I am not using. The switch was successfully created in Vera, but maybe not fully. I have contacted Wink support and they are trying to delete for me from Wink. I will assume that this is the issue until (if) wink can resolve the issue.
  2. The apple IOS Vera mobile app (UI7). I looked at this some more. It appears that the app is not updated when the light is turned on and thus does not turn off. i.e. does not show the light on. Maybe a vera problem?? No log generated on the attempt to turn off the light.
  3. OK - Same issue as #1 - my bad on reading the logs.

The last file works great (.11g)

Before I head down the path of adding another controller, I wanted to try and figure out if this would also allow you to control the color schemes of the Hue lights? I’m looking to have front door lights that change colors based on the season (red and green at Christmas, Orange at Halloween). Vera does not currently allow for the control of the different lighting options on the dimmable z-wave lights out there right now (like Zipato RGBW). They are aware and are working on it but if the Wink option would allow this, I could just go that route instead. It’s not like the controller is all that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks!

[quote=“jp9219, post:46, topic:185289”]Before I head down the path of adding another controller, I wanted to try and figure out if this would also allow you to control the color schemes of the Hue lights? I’m looking to have front door lights that change colors based on the season (red and green at Christmas, Orange at Halloween). Vera does not currently allow for the control of the different lighting options on the dimmable z-wave lights out there right now (like Zipato RGBW). They are aware and are working on it but if the Wink option would allow this, I could just go that route instead. It’s not like the controller is all that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks![/quote]

The Wink Hub does support color on the Hue lights, and allows control of color through the IOS and Android Wink Apps. However, there is not yet any support for color schemes… the color of each individual light is controllers by a color picker. Color information and control for the hue lights are not yet exposed in the Wink API. Hue/Lux lights are only supported in the Wink Hub Controller because they are exposed by the Wink API the same way as other lights.

However, there is a Hue lighting plugin for the Vera that does support color change and support for presets for each individual light.

Oh cool…so I can skip the Wink link altogether then. I didn’t even think to look directly at the Hue controller. Thanks :slight_smile:

Yes… Yes, you can… BUT… If you are picking up a few devices at Home Depot, and they are having there “Hub Free” (or “Hub for $0.99” here in Canada) deals… Well, It is a nice little toy to play with…

My impetus was a desire to have controllable lights combined with an apartment (now house) that was(is) wired without neutrals in the switch boxes… and the discontinuation of the jasco 45612 dimmer… The Lutron Caseta dimmers do not require a neutral and work with the Wink Hub… and now with Vera… 8-} The Pico wireless remotes are an added bonus and fit perfectly into a decora wall plate (unlike the piece of crap that the TCP lighting remote is).

And who knows… Maybe a future firmware update will surprise us with some new nifty features…

I installed this plugin a couple weeks ago with Wink firmware 0.33 and was working OK … Today I took a plunge and manually upgraded to 0.56 (rooted). Now the plugin no longer work. I uninstalled and reinstalled. It won’t allow me to set username and password. When set username and password, got error Attempted to configure Wink hub devices and Attempted to configure Wink Hub API

It does work with Hub firmware 00.56…

What error is displayed when you try to set username/password?? What messages were displayed in the info area??

You can set the username and password, under the advanced tab with the “Wink_Username” and “Wink_Password” variables… be sure to save the changes and allow the LuaUPnp engine to reload after setting variables manually…

You may need to provide the LuaUPnP.log so I can see what is going on.

I got message in the info area “Attempted to configure Wink hub devices” and also this message “Attempted to configure Wink Hub API”

[quote=“cybrmage, post:51, topic:185289”]You can set the username and password, under the advanced tab with the “Wink_Username” and “Wink_Password” variables… be sure to save the changes and allow the LuaUPnp engine to reload after setting variables manually…

You may need to provide the LuaUPnP.log so I can see what is going on.[/quote]

I did set the username and password under advance and that make no different. When trying to get LuaUPnP.log … When I click the DEBUG button, I got error DEVICE NOT READY … when click resync, same error DEVICE NOT READY

I got message in the info area “Attempted to configure Wink hub devices” and also this message “Attempted to configure Wink Hub API”

[quote=“cybrmage, post:51, topic:185289”]You can set the username and password, under the advanced tab with the “Wink_Username” and “Wink_Password” variables… be sure to save the changes and allow the LuaUPnp engine to reload after setting variables manually…

I did set the username and password under advance and that make no different. When trying to get LuaUPnP.log … When I click the DEBUG button, I got error DEVICE NOT READY … when click resync, same error DEVICE NOT READY[/quote]

EDIT: I went through the Wink firmware upgrade procedure again and now the plug in no longer complained… I am all good … Thanks

EDIT: I went through the Wink firmware upgrade procedure again and now the plug in no longer complained… I am all good … Thanks

I did set the username and password under advance and that make no different. When trying to get LuaUPnP.log … When I click the DEBUG button, I got error DEVICE NOT READY … when click resync, same error DEVICE NOT READY[/quote][/quote]

I’m actually having the same issue, but seemingly out of nowhere. I had it working fine and then one day (can’t remember which though) I noticed that my lights weren’t responding and in the Vera UI no matter what button I click on the “Wink Hub” device I get DEVICE NOT READY. Uninstalled and reinstalled and it allowed me to set my username and password but it says Sataus: Unconfigured. Here’s the log from when I click on Reload in the Vera UI:

50 01/24/15 12:14:22.983 luup_log:135: (Wink_Hub::Wink_Hub_Startup): Quirky Wink Hub Automation Gateway - Plugin version [0.10 Wink] - isDisabled [0] <0x2bc3f680> 50 01/24/15 12:14:22.983 luup_log:135: (Wink_Hub::getVariable) variable [PluginVersion]. <0x2bc3f680> 50 01/24/15 12:14:22.983 luup_log:135: (Wink_Hub::getVariable) Got PluginVersion [0.10 Wink]. <0x2bc3f680> 50 01/24/15 12:14:22.984 luup_log:135: (Wink_Hub::setVariable) SID [urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Wink_Hub1] variable [PluginVersion] value [0.10 Wink]. <0x2bc3f680> 50 01/24/15 12:14:23.082 luup_log:135: (Wink_Hub::connectToWinkAPI): Connected to the Wink Hub API Server. <0x2bc3f680> 06 01/24/15 12:14:23.084 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 135 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Wink_Hub1 variable: Hub_Token_Timestamp was: 1422071670 now: 1422071670 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:(nil)/NONE duplicate:1 __LEAK__ this:28672 start:1757184 to 0x158a000 <0x2bc3f680> 50 01/24/15 12:14:23.085 luup_log:135: (Wink_Hub::Wink_Hub_Startup): connectToWinkAPI succeeded. <0x2bc3f680> 01 01/24/15 12:14:25.148 LuaInterface::CallFunction_Startup-1 device 135 function Wink_Hub_Startup failed [string "-- Wink_Hub..."]:2024: attempt to concatenate field 'child_manufacturer_device_id' (a nil value) __LEAK__ this:208896 start:2306048 to 0x1610000 <0x2bc3f680> 01 01/24/15 12:14:25.148 LuImplementation::StartLua running startup code for 135 I_Wink_Hub1.xml failed <0x2bc3f680>

[quote=“Bboy486”]It might just be me but this plugin seems to have slowed down the firing of scenes. I have two scenes one using a Wemo motion sensor turning on a jasco Zwave light and the other using a Wemo motion sensor turning on a ge link via wink hub. When I restart vera the scenes fire correctly. But after some time the response time gets slower and slower and then does fire, or it might but I haven’t seen the scenes run. I also can see that my notifications are slower by several seconds. Not saying it’s this plugin but I suspect it might be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]

I did the backup but still have the issue. Bulbs aren’t responding to trigger. Have reinstalled a few times. It works when I restart Vera but then stops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote=“Bboy486, post:55, topic:185289”][quote=“Bboy486”]It might just be me but this plugin seems to have slowed down the firing of scenes. I have two scenes one using a Wemo motion sensor turning on a jasco Zwave light and the other using a Wemo motion sensor turning on a ge link via wink hub. When I restart vera the scenes fire correctly. But after some time the response time gets slower and slower and then does fire, or it might but I haven’t seen the scenes run. I also can see that my notifications are slower by several seconds. Not saying it’s this plugin but I suspect it might be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]

I did the backup but still have the issue. Bulbs aren’t responding to trigger. Have reinstalled a few times. It works when I restart Vera but then stops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

The problem reappeared. It was just working yesterday and today it’s stop working. When resync … got message “Device not Ready” … Uninstalled and reinstalled plug in make no different.

I have read all 4 pages of this thread so far, and I am not sure that I am having the same issue as everyone else. My Wink Hub is at firmware .55 (with no update hub message shown). I am using Vera UI5. The plugin manages to connect / login to the Wink Hub, but no devices are seen or created (I only have 2 GE Link bulbs being controlled by Wink). Like I said, the Vera logs into the Wink and in the Vera Devices tab under status it says READY but no other devices (my 2 lights) are shown anywhere. The Wink Hub plugin version is 0.10 if it helps.

@cybrmage. This plugin seams great! I have some questions, hope you or anyone in this topic could help me and maybe help others. I found the Wink Relay (http://www.wink.com/products/wink-relay-touchscreen-controller/) and I would love to have that in my wall.

[ol][li]I currently don’t have any zigbee devices, I have VeraLite with 40 Z-Wave devices and RTS’ PLEG and works great. I would love to add this Relay to my VeraLite and that from the relay to control Vera Z-Wave devices, is it possible?[/li]
[li]In their webpage it says that it works with their app and that no hub is needed, but in the case I am saying that it could be connected to Vera, is it going to need a hub and a connection with wink? Or could be only working with Vera?[/li]
[li]And last… could it work with this great plugin of yours?[/li][/ol]

Thanx!

[quote=“Vreo, post:58, topic:185289”]@cybrmage. This plugin seams great! I have some questions, hope you or anyone in this topic could help me and maybe help others. I found the Wink Relay (http://www.wink.com/products/wink-relay-touchscreen-controller/) and I would love to have that in my wall.

[ol][li]I currently don’t have any zigbee devices, I have VeraLite with 40 Z-Wave devices and RTS’ PLEG and works great. I would love to add this Relay to my VeraLite and that from the relay to control Vera Z-Wave devices, is it possible?[/li]
[li]In their webpage it says that it works with their app and that no hub is needed, but in the case I am saying that it could be connected to Vera, is it going to need a hub and a connection with wink? Or could be only working with Vera?[/li]
[li]And last… could it work with this great plugin of yours?[/li][/ol]

Thanx![/quote]

The Wink relay seems to be a custom device (possibly running a custom version of android) running a custom version of the Wink App. As such, I suspect that it connects to the Wink API servers for device control (which is why a Wink Hub is not required - it can control devices attached to a wink account that do not need to have a hub), and will not appear as a device in the data returned by the API.

However, if you have a Wink Hub, you could possibly pair it with your Vera (as a secondary controller) and have your z-wave devices controllable with the Wink Hub and any Wink Relays you had.

Note that this is just speculation… I do not have (and do not plan to get) a Wink Relay.

A NEW version of the plugin is available in the first post in this thread.

Due to issues with the App Marketplace, I can not publish this version at this time, so it must be updated manually. Instructions are in the first post in this thread.

This version incorporates fixes for all verified issues discussed in this thread since version 0.10 was published, and adds an advanced feature. Please re-read the first post in this thread for details.