PLUGIN: Magic Home Wifi LED Control (Bulbs & RGBW strips)

Vera can control the Magic Bulb using the Magic Home Wifi LED Control plug-in. You’ll need the IP address of your Magic Bulb for the plug-in to work. The plug-in has excellent documentation built in.

Just thought I would put what I noticed recently…I recently purchased a bulb and it wasn’t working, for the heck of it, I selected the strip as the control instead of bulb and it works now.

Thanks for the plug in , I noticed that it does not show up as an option in modes.I usually have night mode turn off all lights.

Hi!

To be honest, I don’t know how to fix this so that you can control the plugin devices from that particular screen.

I use the House Modes plugin and have a scene for each each particular mode. From there I have the bulbs do what I want them to do. In my case, it turns my office light off and changes my kitchen counter lights to red and dim. I do this via Luup code, which you can find examples of in the documentation tab.

There are a number of different manufacturers for these sorts of bulbs, it appears. Some behave differently than others. I had to build in that selector switch because the RGBW would work perfectly for the strips, but in the bulbs that I had, the W would override everything and it would ignore the RGB portion of the color code I fed it. It could be that newer bulbs handle this differently?

Either way, I’m glad it works for you!

Vera can control the Magic Bulb using the Magic Home Wifi LED Control plug-in. You’ll need the IP address of your Magic Bulb for the plug-in to work. The plug-in has excellent documentation built in.[/quote]

I’ve heard of the android app having problems being able to see the basic control panel. I really don’t know where the problem lies. Unfortunately, I don’t have much control over how that part renders in that particular app. Virtual switches may solve your control needs if they work in the android app.

Also, thank you for the commend on the documentation. I really wanted this to be easily used in scenes. I thought setting up my documentation so you could simply copy and paste was pretty slick, if I say so myself :slight_smile: Learning the ins and outs of luup for this platform is a bit of a pain, I just wanted to make the lights usable without requiring a bunch of thought being put into it.

hey ceefin, I’m evaluating magic-home based controllers and found your plugin.

What about supporting urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Color1 CurrentColor/SetColorRGB/SetColorRGB?

Take a look at D_DimmableRGBLight2.json and D_DimmableRGBLight2.xml.

By adopting this convention and setting subcategory_num to “4”, we should be able to support color selection on compatible mobile apps.

Thanks!

Thank you, I’ll look into this over the next few weeks.

Hi

Will this Vera plug-in work with these kind of WIFI RGBW LED strip controllers ?

There are various different ones on Amazon that look the same or similar, but are different prices and from different sellers or manufacturers?

See here

Also does this Vera plug-in work with the Imperihome mobile app ?

Ideally would like a colour wheel in the Imperihome app like you get for the Fibaro RGBW module or for the Philips Hue etc.

Thanks

Yes, I have a similar unit to this and it seems to work well.

I’m going to (hopefully) add the color implementation as described above by therealdb. I haven’t been able to move forward on this as fast as I’d like - I have a newborn keeping me occupied but it’s on my list!

Hi. Thanks for this pluigg-in.
I installed it about a month ago, and everything worked great. But a couple of weeks ago, it basically stopped working. The only functionality that’s left is that it will turn the lights OFF. It won’t turn them on, set the color, or dim them–all things it did flawlessly before. I use fixed IP for the lights, so that’s not it.
Suggestions?
Thanks!

I just ordered one of the Magic Home WiFi LED controllers for strip lights, to test out with Vera and this plugin. Still waiting for it to arrive though.

Hoping it all works and really hoping for the RGB selection colour wheel interface at some point if the plugin will support it.

Will report back when I get the device how well it’s working or not.

Thanks.

I just installed the Magic Home plugin on Vera, to take a look and see if the Imperihome mobile app sees the plugin device. It does not.

Imperihome themselves would have to add support for this Magic Home plugin as it is now.

Or the plugin could be changed as already suggested.

Just messing about to see what would happen I changed the following in the Advanced tab of the plugin.

device_file From: D_MagicHomeRGBW.xml To D_DimmableRGBLight2.xml
device_json From D_MagicHomeRGBW.json to D_DimmableRGBLight2.json

Obviously this broke the plugin in the Vera UI7 web GUI and all your Controls then vanished.

But then looking in the Imperihome mobile app again, it did then detect the Magic Home plugin device, see screen shots and I was able to add a colour wheel in to the app.

So ideally if the plugin could be changed to be based on the DimmableRGBLight2 files, it would then allow us to use the device in mobile apps like Imperihome and presumably also in the standard Vera Control mobile app, which I don’t use.

All I really need is to be able to turn the LED strip on / off and pick a colour from the colour wheel from within the Imeperihome mobile app.

Thanks

;D

I took a look at the code and the amount of work to port to the standard rgb commands it?s not impossible to be accomplished.
Unfortunately I had a couple of things that got me distant from this project and wife only allowed me to use rgb color near the pool (and I had not time to start this project), but I?m glad to help to write some code if needed.

As someone already mentioned the Magic Home RGB device does not appear in the Vera UI7 Dashboard → My Modes list.

I noticed that the Magic Home RGB device does not have a sub category. So in the D_MagicHomeRGBW.xml file I added one.

<Category_Num>2</Category_Num> <SubCategory_Num>4</SubCategory_Num>

I reloaded the engine but looking in the Advanced - Params area of the device there was still no sub category listed.

I then deleted the plugin device and created a new one, thinking it would then add a sub category but its still not listed in Params.

Does anyone know how to get the Magic Home RGB plug-in device to show up in the My Modes section of the Vera GUI ?

Thanks.

Got a work around for now, I created a virtual binary light device in Vera and using PLEG logic to monitor when this virtual switch is turned ON or OFF then the PLEG action turns on or off the Magic Home plug-in device.

This has two benefits for me.

1. I can now see my virtual binary light device in the Vera Dashboard → My Modes area.
  2. I can now add an on / off device into the Imperihome mobile app, to turn the Magic Home LED controller on of off.

Is clicking on these predefined colours meant to actually change the colour of the bulb / strip ?

Nothing happens when I click on them, tried in Chrome and Edge and Internet Explorer browsers.

However if I run a line of code instead that works fine and changes the colour of my RGB LED strip OK.

luup.call_action("urn:ceefin-mcvforum-com:serviceId:MagicHomeRGBW1","SetColor", { newColor = "tipton-blue"}, 296)

Looking in the Internet Explorer settings Active Scripting and Scripting of Java applets are both enabled so not sure why its not working.

Just wondering as the text in the plugin reads like if you click on the colours they should change on the bulb / strip.

Available color names - Clicking these will change the bulb/LED strip color, if it is on!

I got my first Magic Home Wifi LED controller today, been playing around with the Vera plugin and I really like it. The documentation in the plugin is very good and easy to follow.

I’ve created some scenes in Vera for the three modes, Fade, Shift, Strobe and three scenes so far to set static colours Red, Green, Blue.
And my virtual device to turn on and off the plugin device, added all these in to the Imperihome mobile app, so I have alot more control now versus my old dumb IR LED strip controller.

All that’s really missing is a colour wheel in the mobile app.

I now have a spare Z-Wave appliance plug that the old IR LED controller was plugged into, so I can reclaim that for some other use now. :wink:

It’s not quite as good yet as using a Fibaro RGBW module which I have some of but its certainly cheaper ;D

[quote=“therealdb, post:54, topic:191645”]I took a look at the code and the amount of work to port to the standard rgb commands it?s not impossible to be accomplished.
Unfortunately I had a couple of things that got me distant from this project and wife only allowed me to use rgb color near the pool (and I had not time to start this project), but I?m glad to help to write some code if needed.[/quote]

Can you make the changes to the plug-in needed for mobile app function and colour wheel ?

If I had the coding skills I’d have a go myself.

In a couple of weeks I’ll start this project and have more spare time (holiday time).
Let’s see if ceefin is quicker than me :grin: