PLUGIN: Magic Home Wifi LED Control (Bulbs & RGBW strips)

Hi

Any news on an updated plugin with colour wheel support ?

Thanks.

Does the FadeRGBW command work?
I am getting the color - but no fade?
luup.call_action("ā€¦ā€œfadeRGBWā€ ā€¦)

Iā€™ve been busy with other things and never managed to finish this project. I still have to buy the controller, so I cannot commit to a short resolution.

I need a bit of help with this plug in. I previously ha this working, but my controller went bad and it took a while for me to get a new one. I order two, one for a backup.

When i try to connect to the controller via the plugin, I get ā€œCanā€™t detect deviceā€. I have tried both controllers with the same result. I have verified the IP with each controller as I try it. Still no luck.

I did have it working for a few seconds and was able to change the colors, but then it stopped working.

To reiterate, I have the correct IP address and port. When I go to the ā€œControlā€ to select RGBW strip, It says it cannot connect to the device just before it switches to that window. On that window, if I select RGBW Strip, I get a popup say ERROR: device not ready.

I am running Firmware 1.7.4000 and plugin version 1.5. Any help is appreciated.

I get the same errors. Had it working for about a day, then it stopped. Deleted everything from the Vera interface, tried to reinstall the pluginā€¦ ā€œcanā€™t connect to deviceā€. Bought another WiFi controller form Amazon, same trouble. I too am running v1.7.4000 and v1.5. The Android app works flawlessly and the controller pings on the network.

Will this be updated to support the dimming only controllers they have for single color LED strips as well? The current plugin can turn it off but canā€™t dim or turn it on.

Hi everybody,

I apologize for the lack of movement on anything related to this plugin. Real life has changed considerably since I initially wrote the plugin, and Iā€™ve been busy maintaining all of that. Throw a couple kids into the mix and extra-curriculars can slow to a crawl.

That being said, Iā€™m happy that it appears a decent number of people have found this plugin helpful.

Let me address a few things on this thread and see what I can do to help.

Nope :frowning:

Point me to where this is implemented and Iā€™ll take a look. Translating between RGB hex codes and the 0-255 scheme that the controller uses shouldnā€™t be too terrible.

I didnā€™t know anything about this. Does it work if you send it white level commands rather than RGB codes? Or, ā€œ0,0,0,122ā€ type color codes?

[quote=ā€œChelseagroup, post:62, topic:191645ā€]Does the FadeRGBW command work?
I am getting the color - but no fade?
luup.call_action("ā€¦ā€œfadeRGBWā€ ā€¦)[/quote]

My first thought is make sure youā€™ve got all the current files for it. From your description, it sounds like it moves from one color to another, without the intermediate steps? My strips are working fine fading back and forth between white and red a few times per day. Also, which model controllers do you have?

[quote=ā€œcw-kid, post:57, topic:191645ā€]Is clicking on these predefined colours meant to actually change the colour of the bulb / strip ?

Nothing happens when I click on them, tried in Chrome and Edge and Internet Explorer browsers.

However if I run a line of code instead that works fine and changes the colour of my RGB LED strip OK.

luup.call_action("urn:ceefin-mcvforum-com:serviceId:MagicHomeRGBW1","SetColor", { newColor = "tipton-blue"}, 296)

Looking in the Internet Explorer settings Active Scripting and Scripting of Java applets are both enabled so not sure why its not working.
Just wondering as the text in the plugin reads like if you click on the colours they should change on the bulb / strip.
ā€œAvailable color names - Clicking these will change the bulb/LED strip color, if it is on!ā€[/quote]

Correct. I coded all that stuff in a manner that should change the light colors, both as an example of the color names, but also to allow you to quickly flip through the library of colors I tried to pre-define for ease of use. I donā€™t know why itā€™s not working for you. I havenā€™t used those links since my initial writing and updating of the documentation.

[quote=ā€œcw-kid, post:58, topic:191645ā€]I got my first Magic Home Wifi LED controller today, been playing around with the Vera plugin and I really like it. The documentation in the plugin is very good and easy to follow.
Iā€™ve created some scenes in Vera for the three modes, Fade, Shift, Strobe and three scenes so far to set static colours Red, Green, Blue.
And my virtual device to turn on and off the plugin device, added all these in to the Imperihome mobile app, so I have alot more control now versus my old dumb IR LED strip controller.
All thatā€™s really missing is a colour wheel in the mobile app.
I now have a spare Z-Wave appliance plug that the old IR LED controller was plugged into, so I can reclaim that for some other use now. :wink:
Itā€™s not quite as good yet as using a Fibaro RGBW module which I have some of but its certainly cheaper ;D[/quote]

The Fibaro RGBW module was what stimulated me to write this. There was no way I was gonna cough up that much for that module at that stage in my life. I probably still wouldnā€™t - Iā€™m kind of married to these little guys now :slight_smile:

I tried my best to make sure that the documentation was thorough and useful, to allow you guys to quickly copy and paste snippets out into scene code. I probably spent as much time on the documentation as the coding.

Where is this error appearing? Is it at the top of the vera interface, or on the device card? Iā€™ve noticed that occasionally the IP for the units wonā€™t save and you have to go put the IP and port into the advanced settings tab, then save and restart everything.

My biggest issue is that occasionally my kitchen strip controllers will lose their wifi connection - forcing me to grab a chair (because I plugged them into an inconvenient location) and power cycle them, and then power cycle vera or restart luup. Itā€™s an inconvenient setup.[quote=ā€œcw-kid, post:55, topic:191645ā€]As someone already mentioned the Magic Home RGB device does not appear in the Vera UI7 Dashboard ā†’ My Modes list.

I noticed that the Magic Home RGB device does not have a sub category. So in the D_MagicHomeRGBW.xml file I added one.

Does anyone know how to get the Magic Home RGB plug-in device to show up in the My Modes section of the Vera GUI ?[/quote]

Not I. If itā€™s a category and subcategory thing, thatā€™s an adjustment that I think can be done at the XML level, but if itā€™s any more nuanced than that, then Iā€™m a bit out of my depth.

Hi, I am also having strange issues with your plugin.
I installed the device and gave it an IP address. I get a ā€œdevice not foundā€ error and at the top. ā€œMagic Home LED[169] : Startup Lua Failedā€.

For some reason, I tried adding a second device with a different name. Gave it the same IP address and the new device works fine.

However, I still get the ā€œMagic Home LED[169] : Startup Lua Failedā€ for the first device. I deleted the first device and rebooted in the hopes of getting rid of the error but this just causes the second device to fail and I now end up with the Luup error for it instead.

Thnx for all your good work on this.
Rgds Bruce

I have the current plugin, UI17 and a Supernight controller

I didnā€™t know anything about this. Does it work if you send it white level commands rather than RGB codes? Or, ā€œ0,0,0,122ā€ type color codes?[/quote]

It seems to work on the red channel, 255,0,0,0 turns it on full and from there I can turn it on and off and dim. It ignores Green, but if I put any value in blue or white it wonā€™t turn on. It also gets really upset when the load level is set during the power on command. After I removed that command my scenes starting working correctly.

I have exactly the same problem and messages. I bound the IP Address on my router and mde sure it mached the one in advanced setting; unpluged my Supernight controller and pluggded back; Change the device Name on my Vera to match the App one clicked save and Voil?!

[quote=ā€œBruceNH, post:68, topic:191645ā€]Hi, I am also having strange issues with your plugin.
I installed the device and gave it an IP address. I get a ā€œdevice not foundā€ error and at the top. ā€œMagic Home LED[169] : Startup Lua Failedā€.

For some reason, I tried adding a second device with a different name. Gave it the same IP address and the new device works fine.

However, I still get the ā€œMagic Home LED[169] : Startup Lua Failedā€ for the first device. I deleted the first device and rebooted in the hopes of getting rid of the error but this just causes the second device to fail and I now end up with the Luup error for it instead.

Thnx for all your good work on this.
Rgds Bruce

I have the current plugin, UI17 and a Supernight controller[/quote]

Thanks for this alaoua. I tried this and it seemed to work initially then it went right back to the LUA startup error.

If I want to take the code and make it work with this RGB (Not RGBW) LED strip. Would I just remove the ā€œWā€ from the coding and reduce the commands to 3 point instead of a 4 point? Then edit the preset color profiles that donā€™t apply. I guess I am just curious how the name the device.

Here is a link to the device from the same company that uses MagicHom:

Yes, maybe a year late ā€¦ but it does handle complex characters in the wifi for me

Hadnā€™t gotten around to automating LED strings yet, but I do appreciate the confirmation!

I need a bit of help with this plug in. I previously ha this working, but my controller went bad and it took a while for me to get a new one. I order two, one for a backup.

When i try to connect to the controller via the plugin, I get ā€œCanā€™t detect deviceā€. I have tried both controllers with the same result. I have verified the IP with each controller as I try it. Still no luck.

I did have it working for a few seconds and was able to change the colors, but then it stopped working.

If I add as second device, it works until I add it to a scene. Then it breaks again.

To reiterate, I have the correct IP address and port. When I go to the ā€œControlā€ to select RGBW strip, It says it cannot connect to the device just before it switches to that window. On that window, if I select RGBW Strip, I get a popup say ERROR: device not ready.

I am running Firmware 1.7.4452 and plugin version 1.5. Any help is appreciated.

Basic Help
Hiā€¦ I just installed the plug in but I canā€™t get it to communicate with the controller at all. I have the wi-fi controller that Wentop ships which is the small rectangle device. The Magic Home App is setup and works fine. I actually got it to work with Google Homeā€¦ but I want to schedule scenes in my Vera Plus.
Iā€™ve entered the IP address in the field and restarted the engine but it tell me it cant detect the device.
What am I missing for Basic setup? It will not let me choose the RGBW Strip device type yet.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

Is this plugin still supported? Should it work with the latest MagicHome bulbs from Amazon? Iā€™ve installed the plugin and created a device, but I keep getting a ā€œStartup lua Failedā€ after I put in the IP address for the bulb and restart luua. The device wonā€™t control anyhting. Works fine from the app. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Donā€™t think the plugin is actively supported or developed.

It still works for me, I have one Magic Home WiFi LED controller.

I dont know about,

Have you specified the correct IP address and Port number for the bulb?

Check that you can ping the IP address of the bulb and that it replies.

This plugin has some quirks and quite often after I reboot my Vera hub the plugin doesnā€™t connect to the blub and shows an error in the banner at the top of the page.

However it eventually goes away or later I do a manual reload of the Luup engine and then the error goes away and it connects.

@therealdb

Hi, looking back at our previous comments on this thread and I was asking about a standard RGB Vera device type and colour wheel support for Imperihome.

Did you ever look at this plugin and rewrite some code?

Cheers.

I looked at the code and decide to leave it as is. It required a major complete rewrite of it and AFAIK @ceefin has never really released its code with such a license.

In the meantime, I wrote my generic HTTP device plugin and used an external implementation to drive my WiFi lights. I have several running this way (mostly milight, but also a kuendo busylight) and Iā€™m OK with that.

All that said, you can use the plug-in to have a virtual device thatā€™s calling the real one via HTTP, in the meantime and as a temporary solution. I have a couple to have a master controller for scenes/code/whatever and itā€™s working OK. Next version Iā€™ll add the ability to have multiple HTTP calls per action, and probably direct support for local commands, avoiding HTTP calls since many users are already doing what I suggested.

1 Like