New EZLO Linux Firmware pre-Alpha starts today

We’re happy to announce we start the Alpha for Ezlo Linux firmware for the Vera Edge controllers.

For the users that enrolled in the Alpha testing and never had the Ezlo Linux firmware installed before on the controller please follow this steps.
Users that already have their Vera Edge on the Ezlo Linux firmware will have their unit automatically updated to the latest version in the next 24 hours.

With this Alpha release you will be able to use the following functionality :

• Use Ezlo VOI ™* - with current Beta mobile apps for Android and iOS.

• Use Local mode - with the next Beta mobile apps

• Use Ezlo Cast ™ - when a scene is run will action all devices simultaneously. For example if you have setup a scene to turn ON all lights when the scene run it will light all the bulbs in the same time, not one by one.

• Create scenes that are triggered by other devices

• Use scene controllers as triggers in scenes. This way, independent of an Internet connection, you will be able to run your scenes whenever you want.

• Have access to PIN Codes functionality for doorlocks (add/delete pin codes)

• Support for adding S2 security devices

• Work with new supported devices, compared to the previous Alpha release.

Important notes about the Firmware upgrade/downgrade process:

• Any backup created before the Firmware upgrade can’t be restored after upgrading to the new Linux Firmware which means that the setup/devices will be lost after moving for the first time to the new Firmware and will need to be repaired.
  • The first upgrade to the New Linux firmware can be done using the current Web UI interface. However, once upgraded to the new Firmware, you will be able to connect to the controller only using the Android/iOS mobile app. The Web UI interface will not be usable.
  • The Firmware downgrade feature is not yet available in this release for the end user. Until this component is ready, you will need to create a new user, add it to your controller and share it with us so we can use it to downgrade OR revert to the old firmware if needed.
  • Instruction on how to add a temporary user to your controller can be found here: How to add a new user to your Controller . This will be a temporary user that you will be able to remove after we have completed the downgrade operation.

ALPHA- Warning

Please note that since the public Alpha software has not yet been commercially released, it may contain bugs, errors, or technical inaccuracies. It may not function as well as general availability software releases. We advise you to create a backup before installing the Alpha software.

The Alpha Program contains Alpha software that is not recommended for testing on a production machine. They’re intended for testers only. Please try at your own risk.

5 Likes

It’s been a couple days since @Iona posted this announcement (kudos to the team for achieving this milestone) but my Edge is still chilling out on the last EZLO Linux firmware version 1.0.13. I’m curious if anyone has received an automatic upgrade yet?

(base) [blacey@bbl ~]$ ssh veraedge

BusyBox v1.22.1 (2020-01-16 09:21:45 UTC) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 Barrier Breaker (VeraEdge-G150, 2.0.14) 
root@HUB45006642:~# cat /usr/lib/opkg/info/firmware-common-git_version.control
Package: firmware-common-git_version
Version: 1.0.13
Depends:  libc
Section: eZLO Innovation
Architecture: ramips_24kec
Installed-Size: 4432
Description:  	Just firmware-common-git_version package

Is there a way for the end user to force an upgrade?

I rebooted my Edge and it seems to have upgraded itself from 1.0.13 to 1.0.15.

$ ssh veraedge

BusyBox v1.22.1 (2020-02-20 13:07:22 UTC) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 Barrier Breaker (VeraEdge-G150, 2.0.17) 

# cat /usr/lib/opkg/info/firmware-common-git_version.control
Package: firmware-common-git_version
Version: 1.0.15
Depends:  libc
Section: eZLO Innovation
Architecture: ramips_24kec
Installed-Size: 4432
Description:  	Just firmware-common-git_version package

Hi,

Some feedback.

• When including a device (Neo Power plug) the entered device name is ignored.
  • in the Vera App I keep having to select the controller. It goes to the controller overview after each action and if phone when to screen saving it seems.
  • When creating a scene, the device is showing with the original device name (In Wall Switch), not the given name. (cleared after logging out, and clearing all the Vera app data)
  • Creating a scene failes with error message "Please enter only valid characters"if you forget to enter a name for the scene. The error should state that instead.
  • The Ezlo Alpha app will not connect. It seems to think it is a standard Vera and not a Linux one (having run on openWrt still make me wonder too).

Cheers Rene

Hi @reneboer, thank you for your feedback, we’ve noted everything. Keep it coming :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi,

When I manually toggle the Neo Plug on or off the controller does not pick this up. On Vera this is not an issue.

It also does not report the Wattage. There is no item listed other than the Boolean switch, no electric_meter_… device as I would expect for this type of power reporting plug.

Cheers Rene

Thank you @reneboer! We’ve added your feedback in the backlog.

I think you mean defect log :slight_smile: Backlog sounds quiet &^%$

1 Like

It sounds they are using Agile Scrum as the method to manage the software development. The backlog is the to-do list in that context.

1 Like

Fair point.

Hi all,

We’ve just updated your Vera Edge controllers to latest Ezlo Linux firmware - please check the release notes here.

To get the update you need to do one of the following actions:

• Power cycle your Vera Edge controller or
  • Unplug the ethernet cable, wait 10s, plug it back into the Vera Edge controller.

ssh <vera hostname or ip> reboot invokes the upgrade as well.

1 Like

Hi,

The issue that manually toggling the on-off state of a Neo Power plug is not fixed. Also still no power reading. Would it make any difference to exclude and re-include?

Cheers Rene

@reneboer. The power meter reading bug that I reported a couple firmware versions ago for the Zooz power switch 2.0 hasn’t been fixed either. I’m curious, if you look at /var/log/ha-luad.log do you see anything that looks like the following?

Float value updated, node id: 2, channel id: 0, class id: 50
2020-03-13 09:27:29.365992 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/634_257_13.lua
2020-03-13 09:27:29.366988 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/generated/634_257_13.lua
2020-03-13 09:27:29.368042 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/.lua
2020-03-13 09:27:29.378235 ERROR: LuaInterpreter: Couldn't run a Lua code: [handler.update_float_value]: Item id not found by item descriptor: item name: electric_meter_watt, node id: 2, channel id: 0, class id: 0x32, tag: nil
stack traceback:
=[C]
=?
=?
(...tail calls...)
2020-03-13 09:27:29.378747 WARN : LuaAddon: a script: HUB:zwave/scripts/events/events_handling has been terminated abnormally
Reachable state was updated, node id: 2, new state: true
2020-03-13 09:27:59.340345 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/634_257_13.lua
2020-03-13 09:27:59.341348 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/generated/634_257_13.lua
2020-03-13 09:27:59.342544 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/.lua
2020-03-13 09:27:59.352846 INFO : LuaAddon: a script: HUB:zwave/scripts/events/events_handling has been executed successfully

Product Management team: pls deal with this asap.

1 Like

In my case, it might be that my Zooz Zen15 v2.0 isn’t fully supported yet on the Ezlo Z-Wave stack. I see the Zen15 v1.0 but not Zen15 v2.0.

In my last communication with the Team, they asked for the Zooz firmware version but the new Ezlo Linux firmware doesn’t expose that information to end users through the interface so I asked if there was a way to get it (i.e. command-line, logging, etc.) other than excluding and including on my Vera Plus just to get the Zooz firmware version. Haven’t heard back yet.

All of that said, I’m not super worried that it hasn’t been corrected yet, I was just comparing notes with @reneboer.

Hi @reneboer @blacey - we’ve captured your reports and we’ll work on them. I’ll be back with news once I have them.

2 Likes

Hi @blacey,

This is a bit of what I see in that log. Some code issues not handling some exceptions it seems.

Reachable state was updated, node id: 49, new state: true
2020-03-13 16:24:26.682063 ERROR: CoreDRemoteInterface::getSingleDevice(5e5f8e9e10d0762c552f3059), exception : fail to fetch a string at such key: "type"
2020-03-13 16:24:26.682966 ERROR: LuaInterpreter: Couldn't run a Lua code: ?:-1: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
        =?
        =?
        =?
        (...tail calls...)
2020-03-13 16:24:26.683449 WARN : LuaAddon: a script: HUB:zwave/scripts/events/events_handling has been terminated abnormally
2020-03-13 17:44:29.775238 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/devices_info/generated/0_0_0.lua
2020-03-13 17:44:29.778937 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/0_0_0.lua
2020-03-13 17:44:29.780116 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/generated/0_0_0.lua
2020-03-13 17:44:29.781128 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/.lua
2020-03-13 17:44:29.795689 INFO : LuaAddon: a script: HUB:zwave/scripts/set_item_value has been executed successfully
Reachable state was updated, node id: 48, new state: true
2020-03-13 17:44:29.940117 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/devices_info/generated/0_0_0.lua
2020-03-13 17:44:29.943687 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/0_0_0.lua
2020-03-13 17:44:29.944915 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/generated/0_0_0.lua
2020-03-13 17:44:29.945873 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/.lua
2020-03-13 17:44:29.956368 INFO : LuaAddon: a script: HUB:zwave/scripts/events/events_handling has been executed successfully
Value updated, node id: 48, channel id: 0, class id: 37, value: 255.0
memory_consumption: value updated 1: 18158.0
memory_consumption: value updated 2: 18243.0
2020-03-13 17:44:29.972967 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/devices_info/generated/0_0_0.lua
2020-03-13 17:44:29.976941 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/0_0_0.lua
2020-03-13 17:44:29.977953 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/generated/0_0_0.lua
2020-03-13 17:44:29.978905 WARN : Plugin script reader: Could not find plugin file /opt/firmware/plugins/zwave/scripts/model/devices/monitoring/.lua
memory_consumption: value updated 3: 61351.0
memory_consumption: value updated 4: 92088.0
2020-03-13 17:44:29.996812 INFO : LuaAddon: a script: HUB:zwave/scripts/events/events_handling has been executed successfully

Cheers Rene

Hi @blacey Thank you for your feedback, I checked with the team if there is any other way to get the Zooz FW version withouth the excluding and including it to your Vera plus but there is none. They also thought about sending an API request but it was not possible :disappointed: So is it possible for you to do an exclude and than include it back on your Vera Plus and provide us the values of ManufacturerInfo and VersionInfo fields from the device Advanced Tab. Btw can you please also provide some more details on the bugs you are experiencing (or if you have already done that can you point me to them :slightly_smiling_face: ) But please do this update first if you have not done already Ezlo Linux pre-Alpha for Vera Edge Update - Official Announcements - Ezlo Community
Thanks a lot

Hi @MCakan,

Good news. I excluded (via the EzloApiTool) the device and included it again (worked first time) and now it is working as expected. This is for the Neo Power plug that has a wizard.

Cheers Rene

2 Likes