New Evolve LCD1 Plugin

I monitored the log while pressing the scene buttons, and literally nothing happens. It’s like Vera has no clue that a Scene Button on the controller has been pressed. Again, I can do everything else to the controller - change labels, change backlight duration, brightness, etc., change buttons from MOMENTARY to TOGGLE, and assign direct device associations to buttons - all of that works. But for some reason, pressing a scene button will not fire a scene and if I’m monitoring the log correctly, Vera doesn’t even recognize that a scene button has been pressed.

@Sig here’s an idea: delete the LCD1, uninstall the plugin, reboot, then try adding it back as a generic scene controller. Specify five buttons then associate the scenes you want with the appropriate buttons. If it fails then there’s something more profound going on than a glitch with the plugin. If it works try adding the plugin back and see what happens. This is essentially how I did it because the same five scenes that are working now were applied before the plugin was installed for the final time. Yes, I still only have five scenes I can control but it beats a blank.

@mrpchead: thanks, I actually tried all that you suggested earlier today. I excluded the scene controller, uninstalled the plug-in (including manually going in and deleting the luup files because the uninstall of the plugin left behind the update files from @gengen), re-booted, and started from scratch. Where I ran into a problem was re-adding the controller to my network after I had uninstalled everything. I selected “Generic Z-wave Device” and while it appeared to have completed the inclusion process (the scene controller received a device ID), a generic scene controller never appeared as a device in the interface - no new device appeared. So I then excluded the scene controller again, re-installed the plug-in (including @gengen’s update), and then included the scene controller, which completed successfully this time. But now I’m back to where I started - completely unable to control a scene.

Should I be including the scene controller using one of the other selections in the “Add Device” wizard besides “Generic z-wave device”? There is a “Wall Mounted 5-button Scene Controller” in the dimmers & switches category, but it specifies a different brand.

I’ll try this process one more time tomorrow - it’s like I’ve got a gremlin in my system and it just doesn’t like my Evolve controllers any longer.

@Sig I added the LCD1 as “Generic Scene Controller” initially. I don’t see this as an option under “add device”. Actually I believe it just showed up that way when I paired it with the Vera. Then when I went to configure it I was asked “how many buttons?” and i chose “5”.

UPDATED

@mrpchead - So I think I’m at the point where I must give up. I removed the scene controller from my system, uninstalled the plugin, manually deleted the updated plugin files provided by @gengen, rebooted my system.

I then attempted to re-include the scene controller. The inclusion process seems to work, but instead of being prompted for a number of buttons, a message comes up that I am actually adding an “Evolve LCD1 Scene Controller”. I’m then prompted to set a room and/or change the name, and click OK (in other words, it’s behaving as if the plugin was still installed, and it recognizes the scene controller as an Evolve LCD, vs a generic). Then when the system restarts, I get an error message “GET_LANG(system_error,System error) : Device: 100. Fail to load implementation file D_EvolveLCD1.xml”. For some reason, it still knows it’s an Evolve LCD scene controller and it’s looking for the plugin device file. It’s like there is some residual from the plugin floating around in my system somewhere, so when the device gets included, it’s immediately recognized as an Evolve LCD, rather than a generic Scene Controller. The end result is that my scene controller will not show up in the interface. The only way to get it to show up is to re-install the plugin, which puts me back to where I started - NO SCENE CONTROL.

I have two Evolve LCD controllers. I attempted this process on the second one as well, just to make sure it wasn’t something related to the controllers themselves. The exact same scenario as described above happened. The inclusion process told me I was including an Evolve LCD controller (not a generic one), it added it to the network and once the add process was completed and the engine restarted, I got the error “GET_LANG(system_error,System error) : Device: 101. Fail to load implementation file D_EvolveLCD1.xml”.

I’m about to pull my hair out, and I’ve run out of ideas. I’ve deleted all the plugin files from the /etc/cmd-ludl/ directory on Vera. I’m assuming that’s the only place that plugin files would be located. But I have a feeling that there’s some sort of device file floating around out there, and when I include the scene controller, it’s picking that up and attempting to look for the plugin files to go with it.

I have also been spottily corresponding with MCV tech support. She keeps telling me that the plugin is not assigning correct attributes to the scene buttons and that I must do it myself (i.e. set the button type to “Momentary” scene actuation using the configuration parameters). I even tried doing that (which didn’t make sense, because I could change the button behaviour in the plugin screen and the controller responded perfectly). That didn’t work either.

I sure wish @gengen would see this thread at some point and offer some guidance.

Hi Sig,
I had the same problem, but before to add the files of Evolve 0.98, I did again the update of vera edge firmware maintaining the current devices configuration:
Vera3, VeraLite, & VeraLite G:
http://download.mios.com/713/rt3662_Luup_ui7-1.7.760-en-mios.squashfs
VeraEdge:
http://dl.mios.com/rl/713/mt7620a_Luup_ui7-1.7.1707-en-mios.squashfs

After that I did the following steps:

1. I installed the evolve from mios apps

2. I uploaded the 0.98 files

3. I added the device per @gengen instructions
    To install, please add all of the files in the enclose .zip file in the Apps → Develop Apps → Luup files screen. You also need to create a new device. Go to Apps → Develop Apps → Create Device. In the UPnP Device Filename edit box, type D_EvolveLCD1Installer.xml and then click on “Create Device.”

4. I added my Evolve panel as a scene controler device.

5. The generic device changed icons as expected

6. I set the labels and scenes

7. In Advanced tab, I clicked “Configure node right now”

And after those steps the lcd panel is working.

Thanks @oza. Re-installing my firmware is a step I have not tried, so I suppose I can make that attempt as well.

I am actually running 1.7.786 on a Vera Plus. I’m assuming I can just substitute the firmware version number into the URL you indicated and still get the download/install.

So what I’ll try is this…

1. Exclude my scene controllers from my network
  2. Un-install the Evolve LCD Controller plugin via the APPS screen.
  3. Manually delete the updated plugin files from VeraPlus via Putty
  4. Reboot VeraPlus
  5. Re-install the current firmware (since I’m apparently on the latest, and there’s no update at this time)
  6. Re-install the Evolve LCD plugin from the APPS screen.
  7. Re-install @gengen’s update via the DEVELOP APPS screen.
  8. Include my scene controllers and configure
  9. Once again, hope for the best

I will report back once I’ve tried this latest approach.

Sig,
I forgot one step, I erased the scenes created using the LCD1 evolve before to upgrade the firmware.

Thanks @oza.

I’m beginning to think I may be better off completely re-building my network from scratch after factory-resetting VeraPlus. My network in this house is not that large, so the marginal effort to do that over tinkering around trying to get these LCD Controllers to work is probably worth it to start from a clean slate.

I’ll make a decision this weekend and report back on what I did and the results.

*** UPDATE ***
I’m SORT OF back up and running. Now I’m getting inconsistent behaviour from my Evolve controllers. Sometimes a scene won’t fire at all, and at other times, the scene assignments seem to get jumbled between the buttons (i.e. ALL OFF should be button #5, instead it’s now suddenly button #2). Nearing the end of my rope with this.

OK, so I’m back up and running…finally.

I decided to do a factory reset of Vera Plus and complete re-build of my network. I grew tired of trying to clean the cobwebs out of the system after the migration from the VeraLite. This seems to have done the trick, although it was still a bit dicey with the Evolve controllers and the plugin. I executed the following steps…

1. Excluded ALL my devices
  2. Uninstalled all plugins, including manually deleting the newer Evolve Plugin files provided by @Gengen
  3. Factory reset VeraPlus (6 clicks of the reset button within six seconds)
  4. Re-setup VeraPlus from scratch, re-included all devices, re-created all scenes, etc.
  5. Re-installed all plugins EXCEPT the Evolve LCD plugin. My two Evolve scene controllers were successfully added in step #4 above as generic scene controllers, and I was able to successfully assign scenes to each of the buttons on each of the controllers and they were all firing perfectly. So far, so good.
  6. I then installed the Evolve plugin from the marketplace, followed by the newer version files from @gengen manually (via “Develop Apps”). After a few minutes, my generic scene controllers were showing as Evolve Scene controllers and I was able to go in and assign labels to buttons, etc. HERE’S where I started to panic. MY SCENES STOPPED FIRING AGAIN.
  7. So I went in and edited all of my scenes, deleting the pre-existing triggers for the scene controllers that I had set when they were still “generic” scene controllers.
  8. I then went into the Evolve Scene Controller device, and used the dropdowns on the “SCENES” screen to assign my scenes to the controller buttons. THIS WORKED. My scenes are now firing from both scene controllers. WHEW! (I did try this very process several times before the factory reset, and it never worked).

Based upon the experiences of some other folks in this thread, my situation was unique and I’m still not sure why. Others were able to get their scene controllers working post migration, without having to factory reset and start from scratch. I have another Vera Lite at my weekend home, which actually has a much larger network (more devices) and a mixture of Evolve and Leviton scene controllers. I’m now especially nervous about upgrading that Vera Lite to a Vera Plus. I may just bite the bullet and start that one from scratch without even attempting the migration, although I’m not relishing that idea.

This particular Vera headache is over, thankfully.

Hello
I tried to upgrade the plug in on UI7 from version 8 to the latest version but it does not work
I downloaded the files
Unzip them
Upload it to my vera
BUt I still having the version 8
Could you please tell me waht are the steps to follow
Thank you

Hi Genge, my name is Dynanyen, I am rookie!
I have a controller LCD1, NO worked good with UI7, I followed instructions step by step, but now my Vera have mensaje of error! and LCD1 no operated.

the instructions are:

3. I added the device per @Oza instructions
    To install, please add all of the files in the enclose .zip file in the Apps → Develop Apps → Luup files screen. You also need to create a new device. Go to Apps → Develop Apps → Create Device. In the UPnP Device Filename edit box, type D_EvolveLCD1Installer.xml and then click on “Create Device.”

error: GET_LANG(system_error,System error) : Device: 3. Fail to load implementation file D_EvolveLCD1Installer.xml

please help me!
that I can doing wrong?
thanks

[quote=“gengen, post:212, topic:176384”]Here is version 0.98 of the Evolve LCD plug-in. Thanks to lafer and tomreal who both submitted good log files which revealed two different problems which should now be fixed.

A bit of an explanation.
In lafer’s case, there was a hard-coded assumption that Vera was always the hidden Device ID 2, which may not always be true. The plug-in now searches for the correct scene controller.

In tomreal’s case, a 200 ms delay after sending a “Set Return Route” Low-level Z-Wave command was too short. This is now controllable using a device variable: LCD_ReturnRouteDelay which defaults to 400 ms. (minimum is probably 300 ms). Unfortunately, due to the limited way that Z-Wave commands can be sent from Vera Lua code, this needs to be a “blind” delay without feedback unlike higher level commands. Also, this command was sometimes being sent unnecessarily so there is actually an offsetting optimization.

If the above paragraphs mean nothing to you, don’t worry about it. Just try out the new plug-in and if there are still problems, just report them here.

Gengen[/quote]

Hi OZA, my name is Dynanyen, I am rookie!
I have a controller LCD1, NO worked good with UI7, I followed instructions step by step, but now my Vera have mensaje of error! and LCD1 no operated.

the instructions are:

3. I added the device per @GENGEN instructions

please help me!
that I can doing wrong?
thanks

[quote=“oza, post:226, topic:176384”]Hi Sig,
I had the same problem, but before to add the files of Evolve 0.98, I did again the update of vera edge firmware maintaining the current devices configuration:
Vera3, VeraLite, & VeraLite G:
http://download.mios.com/713/rt3662_Luup_ui7-1.7.760-en-mios.squashfs
VeraEdge:
http://dl.mios.com/rl/713/mt7620a_Luup_ui7-1.7.1707-en-mios.squashfs

After that I did the following steps:

And after those steps the lcd panel is working.[/quote]

Hello,
Thank you for the update, I followed all your instructions, but the update does not work, could you please help me.

[quote=“gengen, post:212, topic:176384”]Here is version 0.98 of the Evolve LCD plug-in. Thanks to lafer and tomreal who both submitted good log files which revealed two different problems which should now be fixed.

A bit of an explanation.
In lafer’s case, there was a hard-coded assumption that Vera was always the hidden Device ID 2, which may not always be true. The plug-in now searches for the correct scene controller.

In tomreal’s case, a 200 ms delay after sending a “Set Return Route” Low-level Z-Wave command was too short. This is now controllable using a device variable: LCD_ReturnRouteDelay which defaults to 400 ms. (minimum is probably 300 ms). Unfortunately, due to the limited way that Z-Wave commands can be sent from Vera Lua code, this needs to be a “blind” delay without feedback unlike higher level commands. Also, this command was sometimes being sent unnecessarily so there is actually an offsetting optimization.

If the above paragraphs mean nothing to you, don’t worry about it. Just try out the new plug-in and if there are still problems, just report them here.

Gengen[/quote]

Hi Dynanyen and Escabrun,

I had the same problem at the first time that I did the upgrade as gengen instruction. What I did to work was to delete all the scenes created with the lcd in the scene list and erase the evolve app before and after that I checked if I was using the last firmware version of UI7.

After that I did the steps that you did

3. I added the device per @GENGEN instructions

6. I set the labels and scenes in the screen option of evolve (not using the scene option of vera)

Hi, I’m new to this forum. I have 10 Evolve LCD’s that I used to run with UI5. I also used used it to control lighting, drapes, and thermostats in my house. I recently bought Vera Plus and on my first try I was able to upload with v.96 following the directions GenGen has posted. I was able to make all of the scenes and label each LCD; but, after a while they stopped working. I did a factory reset to my Vera Plus because when I deleted the LCD’s they wouldn’t disappear, even after 10 attempts to delete them. So now I tried to upload the file for v.97 and v.98, but when I try upload, it immediately displays on every file I try to upload. I’ve tried to do them one by one and in bulk but nothing works. I will include a screenshot to show what I mean. If anyone has any idea or suggestions on how to fix this issue or to upload the files properly, or if I’m doing anything incorrectly, it would be appreciated if you would let me know.

These are the instructions I followed that were posted by oza, but I can’t past step 2 because files wont upload:

4. I added my Evolve panel as a scene controller device.

I was able to “complete” all of the steps with v.96 but the scene won’t always fire up. The majority of the problems I’m having are related to dimmers

To solve this, you gotta change permitions on your OS, that’s all you gotta do, somehow the permitions does not allow you to use them or read them.

by the way, i’ve completely installed the update but some scenes are not running as they should, they only show as executed by toggle but with no change in the scene. Is there a fix on the way GenGen

Any updates for this plug in?

I have a Vera Plus with UI 1.7.2138 and none of the updates posted above will load.

@sig,

sorry, for your trouble. Indeed, the Evolve LCD1 scene controller does install a few entries in the UI7 “kit” files which allow Vera to recognize the device in the first place. Simply removing the original files will, unfortunately, not work.

I am still working feverishly on a new version which will also support the Nexia One-Touch. I’m making significant progress on this but it’s a major update which I hope to have completed by the end of this month.

Gengen

[quote=“gengen, post:239, topic:176384”]@sig,

sorry, for your trouble. Indeed, the Evolve LCD1 scene controller does install a few entries in the UI7 “kit” files which allow Vera to recognize the device in the first place. Simply removing the original files will, unfortunately, not work.

I am still working feverishly on a new version which will also support the Nexia One-Touch. I’m making significant progress on this but it’s a major update which I hope to have completed by the end of this month.

Gengen[/quote]
That’s great news! Thanks for the update and for updating this plug-in.