Nest Opens API for Thermostat

For you Nest lovers (I have one but I’m not impressed…). Hopefully the Nest plug-in can be updated for API support so it doesn’t break when the firmware gets updated. Maybe even offer more features.

Nest Opens API for Thermostat

The current Nest plug-in has not broken with firmware updates! (But it did break once when they changed their client/server protocol to use HTTP redirects for load balancing.)

In any case, thank you for passing this along! I just signed up and I am eager to publish a 2.0 of the current Nest plugin that uses their published API. I will post updates on that as the time approaches.

watou

[quote=“watou, post:2, topic:177102”]The current Nest plug-in has not broken with firmware updates! (But it did break once when they changed their client/server protocol to use HTTP redirects for load balancing.)

In any case, thank you for passing this along! I just signed up and I am eager to publish a 2.0 of the current Nest plugin that uses their published API. I will post updates on that as the time approaches.

watou[/quote]

Thanks in advance. This is the first plug-in I grabbed and has really helped keep things seemless for my wife

I wonder if there is any additional benefit to be gotten through use of the API. I find the current functionality of the plugin works as well and has been as stable as I might have hoped.

Hi watou,

I didn’t mean to imply it had, and I’m sorry if it came across that way. I very much appreciate the time and effort so many people on this forum put into developing plugins that make Vera better for the rest of us. I was just trying to make the point that since the plugin didn’t use an official API there was always the possibility any change by Nest could break the plugin. Theoretically using an official API should eliminate that possibility (but in reality they could break the API themselves).

Thanks again for your great work!

I agree completely. There is benefit in just using an officially supported API for the reasons you mentioned. I’m hoping there will be the opportunity to add more features to the integration (and of course not lose any), but that’s an open-ended question until the spec is published.

Nest has gotten multiple (2 that I know of) free 3rd party apps for Windows Phone that control the nest killed.

I hope they don’t do that to the Vera plugin before a new plugin can be developed.

sorry for the stupid question which I think I know the answer to but…

does the current Nest plug-in allow you to set the schedule of your nest?

It does not. As it is unlikely that there is a way to get the plugin to do this with the same grace as their own interface, I am not sure that would be a worthwhile function.

I for one think this is greatness… Love the current plug-in and can’t wait to see any improvements you make…

[quote=“watou, post:2, topic:177102”]The current Nest plug-in has not broken with firmware updates! (But it did break once when they changed their client/server protocol to use HTTP redirects for load balancing.)

watou[/quote]

When the API is released someone please post the link. Simply because I am an API craftsman and geek, and would like to see whether their API is as elegant as their device - have no intention of doing any coding against it.

I will definitely (unless someone beats me to it, and of course we hope it’s a publicly available API). In the meantime, the ecobee thermostat has a nicely designed web API ([url=https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/api/documentation/v1/index.shtml]ecobee API). Two things I like about it in particular are:

[ol][li]It uses OAuth 2.0 to control authentication and authorization between client and server, such that no user names or passwords need to be known by the app/plugin, and it uses expiring tokens to prevent spoofing. A little confusing at first but a powerful way to solve these issues. I hope the official Nest API does something similar.[/li]
[li]It reports a concise table of incrementing version numbers for each managed thermostat, so if the plugin’s number doesn’t match, only then does the plugin request a fresh snapshot of that thermostat’s status, cutting down on database hits on the server, transmission, parsing on the client, etc.[/li][/ol]

watou

I expect and hope that the official Nest API will support this neat new device, the Nest Protect:

[url=http://www.nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/life-with-nest-protect/]Page not found | Nest

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FN4EWAM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER]Amazon.com

A great re-think on the smoke alarm, adding multiple sensors including motion (you can wave your arms to disable the alarm), and even integrates with the Nest thermostat to shut down a gas furnace if carbon monoxide is detected.

I will integrate this device into the Nest plugin if it’s at all possible.

watou

My pre-order is in… ;D

[quote=“watou, post:13, topic:177102”]I expect and hope that the official Nest API will support this neat new device, the Nest Protect:

[url=http://www.nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/life-with-nest-protect/]Page not found | Nest

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FN4EWAM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER]Amazon.com

A great re-think on the smoke alarm, adding multiple sensors including motion (you can wave your arms to disable the alarm), and even integrates with the Nest thermostat to shut down a gas furnace if carbon monoxide is detected.

watou[/quote]

[quote=“watou, post:13, topic:177102”]I expect and hope that the official Nest API will support this neat new device, the Nest Protect:

watou[/quote]

I am hoping the smoke detector motion sensors can inform Nest of occupancy if nobody is near the t-stat it may go into auto away when it technically shouldn’t.

Maybe the motion sensor in the smoke detector can be used for other scenes? That would be cool.

nest already has stated that it will improve auto away function
however the heat sensor will do nothing at launch

it would be nice for nest to use the heat sensor
in away that if you are in room b with a “protect”
and no one is in room a with nest tstat

the measured temperature should come from the active room
in this case the “protect”

I’m curious if these devices are disposable after x (say 10) number of years or were they designed for increased longevity… I couldn’t find any material indicating one way or the other.

i doubt it
unless somehow the smoke and co sensors are replaceable

[quote=“charettepa, post:18, topic:177102”]i doubt it
unless somehow the smoke and co sensors are replaceable[/quote]

It sure would be nice if the CO sensor could be replaced every 7 years… I think I saw Nest publish that 7 years is the expected lifespan of at least the CO sensor.

that sounds about right