Nest Learning Thermostat on sale at Lowe's

I just installed it and it seems to be working great also. It also appears to show up correctly and function in SQ Remote without any special config too :slight_smile:

Is there a reason for that? I hope my app is not to blame. If it is, we’ll need to work that issue out.

• Garrett

Is there a reason for that? I hope my app is not to blame. If it is, we’ll need to work that issue out.[/quote]

Well, my understanding is that fractional degrees are not officially supported with Vera thermostats: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6133.5

Maybe my information is wrong or needs to be qualified somehow. Do you have better info on this? I would love to be able to give better precision if it didn’t create bad side effects (UI or otherwise). The Nest reports temperature as Celsius with precision to the thousandths place (e.g., 19.683). The thermostat itself contains three physical sensors and I suppose it averages them to report the current temperature.

watou

woohoo!
I noticed three potential values for “User Supplied Wattage” in the advanced section.
What three values can be placed there?

rearden

[quote=“rearden, post:84, topic:171456”]I noticed three potential values for “User Supplied Wattage” in the advanced section.
What three values can be placed there?[/quote]

Beats me! :slight_smile: The EnergyMetering1 doc I found (http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_UPnP_Variables_and_Actions#EnergyMetering1) says it’s watts consumed for heat,cool,fan. This would not be helpful if you also wanted to track auxiliary heating, cool, (de)humifiers, etc. Or how to do reliable math to convert gas consumed for wattage equivalent, etc.

I haven’t yet found a complete example of the urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1 service, nor do I know if or how it is currently being used. And lastly, since the plugin polls at a default two minutes, each sample of a transition between Heating/Cooling/FanOnly and Idle can be off by as much as two minutes, which is a bit poor. A better energy metering approach would be to somehow convey the energy data sent from nest.com, but I don’t yet know enough about it, or what code would consume it, to comment.

watou

Installed, works very well. I’ve tried it both via the Web Interface as well as SQRemote and it works really well.

The code is also nice and clean, congrats!

Many thanks for the praise, guessed! It means a lot coming from a seasoned plugin developer.

best app to date in my opinion. I would have paid for it, especially after using it. If there is a place we can send you a few $$ for your time/effort, let me/us know.

I am now using it to trigger scenes based on the home/away status. I love not having to go to multiple apps to control my HA.

KUDOS!

Thank you very much! Now you tell me! Perhaps I ought to put a donate button in the README before all the euphoria wears off! :slight_smile:

Remember that if you have “Auto Away” turned on, the “switch” will turn off after the thermostat(s) sense(s) no one is home, just as if you had done so manually.

Remember that if you have “Auto Away” turned on, the “switch” will turn off after the thermostat(s) sense(s) no one is home, just as if you had done so manually.
[/quote]

That is the functionality I needed and was waiting for, without having to install additional occupancy sensors. When the nest switch goes “off” because it does not detect anyone in the house, i have it ensure all the lights/tv are off. I plan to later incorporate the Nest and all other devices in the house in my alarm, so when I arm the alarm a number of comands are sent out together.

I also love the idea that you created a seaparet humidity sensor device based on the nest data that can also trigger the fans in my house as needed.

In the case where the plug-in is unable to communicate with the nest.com servers

1 - what is the expected behavior of the nest settings in the GUI
(I assume the plug-in does not cache or even read the schedule data)
2 - what alerting would people see in the GUI
3 - what entries would be written to the log file
4 - is there an event for this situation

Did not see any answers to the above on the readme.md.

Thanks

[quote=“bobk, post:91, topic:171456”]1 - what is the expected behavior of the nest settings in the GUI
(I assume the plug-in does not cache or even read the schedule data)
2 - what alerting would people see in the GUI
3 - what entries would be written to the log file
4 - is there an event for this situation[/quote]
In the current beta, the only way to know if communication with nest.com is lost, is in the log (or, if an attempt to login failed, also in the “task” message area at the top of the web UI. Also, the big lower-case “n” on the account device will go grey instead of glowing green.) The log will show

Nest: Failed to login: <any HTTP status line returned>

or in the case of a failure to retrieve status:

Nest: error getting status from nest.com with HTTP code=<any HTTP code returned like 401>, status=<any HTTP status line returned>

I am interested in implementing the Vera “best practices” approach to properly handling communication failures of this sort.

Edit: In the course of things I just watched the plugin fail to retrieve status with a “connection refused”, turn the “n” icon grey, and retry every polling cycle to log back in. It did so, the “n” went green again, the devices updated as you would expect. Then, it failed to retrieve status with “timeout”, “n” turned grey again, and retried to log back in and did so. In other words, it will recover from failures by itself once it can.

I’ve just pushed the next beta version of the Nest plugin to apps.mios.com, v0.8. Please update your Vera to 0.8 of the plugin as soon as it becomes available.

The changes are in the readme at [url=http://cocu.la/vera/nest/README.md]http://cocu.la/vera/nest/README.md[/url].

Thanks!

watou

In the meantime before 0.8 is available, please press Reload at the top of the Vera web UI a few seconds (or any time) after you have issued any commands, like setting Home/Away, changing the temperature set points or thermostat or fan modes. This should cause status polling to revert to the number of seconds you set in the main Nest device.

• watou

From those that have been using the Nest.
Have you guys seen any energy savings? Above and beyond a schedule on a programmable thermostat ?
Also what other benefits are there? The Auto away feature seems nice but if there were a decent PIR it could probably be done within Vera itself, no?

[quote=“syyid, post:95, topic:171456”]Have you guys seen any energy savings? Above and beyond a schedule on a programmable thermostat ?
Also what other benefits are there? The Auto away feature seems nice but if there were a decent PIR it could probably be done within Vera itself, no?[/quote]
I’ve had mine since March, and it’s not really enough time to know if it’s helped lower energy costs. The fact that it will keep circulating cold air after it turns off the compressor probably helped a bit in the summer, and shutting down the boiler before it reaches its heat setpoint, knowing that there is a delay, will probably help this winter. The auto-away feature also probably helps, and you’re right that you could probably implement the same feature with any Vera-enabled motion sensor and thermostat. I am going to compare energy consumption after a full year with prior years, but there are so many other factors to consider that it will be difficult to get a firm sense of how much the Nest has lowered consumption. Overall I think it is an improvement over my previous, “dumb” thermostat. Nest Labs claims to have saved its users a ton of kilowatts, and they probably have some reasonable science behind that claim, but I haven’t dug into it.

watou

Nest Labs claims to have saved its users a ton of kilowatts

How many watts in a kilo :slight_smile:

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:97, topic:171456”]

Nest Labs claims to have saved its users a ton of kilowatts

How many watts in a kilo :)[/quote]

:slight_smile: Well, if it’s a kilo of uranium, lots and lots o’ watts!

Wow!!! I absolutely LOVE the Nest plugin!. I was kind of disappointed that my Nest 1 could not control my whole home humidifier with consideration to outside air temperature. As outside temperature drops, so should your in home humidity to prevent over-humidifying the house (mold - yuck), but I studied the Nest plugin and came up with a solution to save me from buying Nest 2… thought I would share my idea.

Purchased a LFM-20 appliance relay to use as my Z wave switch in place of the existing humidistat in my ductwork .

I found online guidelines for humidification levels…
• If outside temperature is 20 to 40 degrees, humidity indoors should not be more than 40 percent.
• If outside temperature is 10 to 20 degrees, humidity indoors should not be more than 35 percent.
• If outside temperature is 0 to 10 degrees, humidity indoors should not be more than 30 percent.
• If outside temperature is 10-below to 0, humidity indoors should not be more than 25 percent.
• If outside temperature is 20-below to 10-below, humidity indoors should not be more than 20 percent.
• If outdoor temperature is lower than 20-below, inside humidity should not be more than 15 percent.

Using these guidelines, I decided to use the following to contol my humidifier:

NESTHUM is the Nest humiditysensorl in my home
HUM is the Nest reported humidity
OUTTEMP is the Wunderground outside temperature at my location (another great plugin!)
TEMP =s that reported outside air temperature
HOME/AWAY is the Nest “Away” feature
HOME is my occupancy mode.

So, my code should allow the humidifier to control humidity levels based on outside air temperatures only when my home is occupied (to save water and minimize a flood risk since I use a small condensate pump for my furnace, evaporator coil and humidifier).

I am waiting for the LFM-20 to arrive, so I tested with a Z wave light for now… seems “good”.

NESTHUM = “urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HumiditySensor1”
HUM = luup.variable_get(NESTHUM, “CurrentLevel”, 95)
OUTTEMP = “urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1”
TEMP = luup.variable_get(OUTTEMP, “CurrentTemperature”, 67)
HOMEAWAY = “urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1”
HOME = luup.variable_get(HOMEAWAY, “Status”, 93)

if (((tonumber(HUM) < 41)
and (tonumber(TEMP) >19)
and (HOME == “1”))
or((tonumber(HUM) < 36)
and (tonumber(TEMP) >9)
and (HOME == “1”))
or((tonumber(HUM) < 26)
and (tonumber(TEMP) >0)
and (HOME == “1”))
or((tonumber(HUM) < 21)
and (tonumber(TEMP) >-11)
and (HOME == “1”))
or((tonumber(HUM) < 16)
and (tonumber(TEMP) >-21)
and (HOME == “1”)))

then return true
end
return false

I think I am going to see if I can use the Nest Heat mode to only allow the humidifier to operate in heating. Want it off for cooling… more work to do but not an issue until spring :slight_smile: .

The fact that it will keep circulating cold air after it turns off the compressor probably helped a bit in the summer

I believe many modern (within last 5-10 years) HVAC units do this automatically for both heating and cooling and typically have a jumper on the mainboard to control how long the system runs the blower after turning off the compressor or the gas. You want to make sure that the sum of the internally-set time extension and the Nest-added time extension, if they end up getting added, are not so long that the blower ends up blowing wrong-temp air out.

I’ve also purchased a Nest 2G and installed the plugin - still early days but so far so good.