Nest Learning Thermostat on sale at Lowe's

So the nEST is becoming mainstream… Do we need / want a plug-in? Why? thoughts?

Engadget

I have these, I swapped out my Tranes for them a few months back. They’re a great T-Stat!

The downside is no public API, but there are more than a few people cracking open the existing communications so there’s hope (which is what triggered me to move over).

A few thoughts on why is an API needed:

a) I can tell it when I’m really away from the house, so it can idle-out as I used to do with the Trane devices
b) I can tell it when I’m really IN the house, so it can power up as needed.
c) I’d avoid having to switch between two iPhone apps constantly to change the TStat settings
d) I could use a standard Mobile UI showing the current temperature instead of the current setpoint (!$%$#)
e) I could re-use the motion-activation (the display lights up) to turn on hallway lights in the vicinity.
f) Local communications, instead of having to go through their internet-based service.

For me, it’s not saving $$ over what I had setup with the Trane units. Folks who have tuned automation for Temperature control probably won’t notice a cost saving, but they’ll definitely notice a much better UI, and much higher WAF.

I like how, for now, they’ve focused on doing one thing extremely well. Rather than chasing everything, and doing none strongly, they’ve done a very great job on this device and it’s connected UI’s.

[quote=“guessed, post:2, topic:171456”]I have these, I swapped out my Tranes for them a few months back. They’re a great T-Stat!

The downside is no public API, but there are more than a few people cracking open the existing communications so there’s hope (which is what triggered me to move over).

A few thoughts on why is an API needed:

a) I can tell it when I’m really away from the house, so it can idle-out as I used to do with the Trane devices
b) I can tell it when I’m really IN the house, so it can power up as needed.
c) I’d avoid having to switch between two iPhone apps constantly to change the TStat settings
d) I could use a standard Mobile UI showing the current temperature instead of the current setpoint (!$%$#)
e) I could re-use the motion-activation (the display lights up) to turn on hallway lights in the vicinity.
f) Local communications, instead of having to go through their internet-based service.

For me, it’s not saving $$ over what I had setup with the Trane units. Folks who have tuned automation for Temperature control probably won’t notice a cost saving, but they’ll definitely notice a much better UI, and much higher WAF.

I like how, for now, they’ve focused on doing one thing extremely well. Rather than chasing everything, and doing none strongly, they’ve done a very great job on this device and it’s connected UI’s.[/quote]

Interesting… I have a multi-zone setup so would need 5 of these to cover everything (actually 7 if I include our Apt and bonus room) I was slowly replacing the normal thermostats with the zwave trane ones… I like the fact that they ‘talk’ together to manage the away and home states. They just seem elegant.

It’s definitely the kind of device you’d freely recommend to your neighbors, friends and family. It’ll likely save them money, and it’s trivial to use/setup.

I already have at least 2 neighbors in earshot that have them, and they did self installs.

The attention to detail is very good, right the way down to the box containing a screwdriver, the different types of screws required to attach it, and screen-printed base-plastics to let you know which wire goes where, and the setup experience.

It’s patched a few times now, and each was completely hands-free (and flawless)

I like the fact that they 'talk' together to manage the away and home states. They just seem elegant.
Yeah, they definitely do that. One of ours is near the exit, right next to our Alarm Panel. I always arm the house, I [sometimes] tell the Nest I'm leaving, and it updates the other one when I do.

If you’re shooting for 5+ of these, it’ll get quite pricey, but then if you need 5+ you’re probably used to that :wink:

+1 for an API +plugin (which i’m sure would follow quickly) and then my wallet may magically open :slight_smile:

Looks like some people have already reversed engineered how the Nest communicates. Unfortunately this still needs to be done via their servers.

http://www.wiredprairie.us/blog/index.php/archives/1442

• Garrett

Would be great if they make an API available. I wouldn’t hold my breath though, some of the people behind it worked for Apple before, and openness is not on their priority list :-\

Has anyone found and installed a UI5 plug in for Nest?

no vera plugins available for Nest so far, till they publish an API or someone reverse engineer its communication :-\

Nest has a RESTful api, it just isn’t published. The iphone and android apps use it.

Once I get my vera lite, and I learn some Lua, I am going to attempt a plugin.

Priority list? Openness s not in their vocabulary! ;D

I did get one BTW and installed it in a friends Condo. Probably the nicest piece of hardware out there… I also hear it has a zigbee radio, so I wonder if some sort of HA is being contemplated either by NEST or Apple… ? Perfect central system using the thermostat as a trojan horse… Has power, network, a simple UI (OLED display), compute power and usually in a central part of the home…

I’ve had a couple of these in the house since April, and they really are great devices. My 'Tranes are boxed up somewhere in the garage.

The items I miss are:
a) the ability to automatically tell them I’m away from the house.
Mostly to accelerate any savings cycle, since they will [eventually] auto-detect that you’re away.

b) a single control Application to tweak the Lighting and the Temperature.

With time, I’m sure these will come…

I’m in a conundrum myself with the T-stats. . .

The Nest seems pretty and functional, remotely operable but no z-wave. Ecobee seems almost even better (can control more HVAC equipment, do more sophisticated stuff), but same dilemma of no z-wave functionality.

The Honeywell Z-wave doesn’t have all the functionality I want (I want the guts of the very similar looking IAQ centric thermostat), Trane (from what I’ve read) has a little more Z-wave flexibility than the Honeywell but still looks like it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the Ecobee and the Nest (which I’m not sure I even need! arg).

Anyone with a spare Trane want to part with it at a fair price, let me know!

I just switched from the old Trane thermostat to the Nest so it’s just somewhere collecting dust.

I just switched from the old Trane thermostat to the Nest so it’s just somewhere collecting dust.[/quote]

Hmm - I’m not seeing how to send you a private message. . .someone please alert me if I’m incorrect and that is indeed possible to do.

However, seeing as though I can’t seem to do it, if you’d like to part with it I can paypal you for s&h and some bucks if you’re looking for that? Email me: av north side (all one word) AT the domain for people that use google’s email service.

I think you need a certain number of posts before you can send PMs (to cut down on spam).

Usually, you click on a username to go to their profile, and on the left is a “Send PM” link.

You need 25 posts to be able to send PM.

I figured it was some typical stipulation like this. . .thanks for the FYI guys.

I just switched from the old Trane thermostat to the Nest so it’s just somewhere collecting dust.[/quote]

Hmm - I’m not seeing how to send you a private message. . .someone please alert me if I’m incorrect and that is indeed possible to do.

However, seeing as though I can’t seem to do it, if you’d like to part with it I can paypal you for s&h and some bucks if you’re looking for that? Email me: av north side (all one word) AT the domain for people that use google’s email service.[/quote]

email sent…