Nest Learning Thermostat on sale at Lowe's

I also have a Trane T-Stat to sell, if anyone is interested.

I just switched from the old Trane thermostat to the Nest so it’s just somewhere collecting dust.[/quote]

Hmm - I’m not seeing how to send you a private message. . .someone please alert me if I’m incorrect and that is indeed possible to do.

However, seeing as though I can’t seem to do it, if you’d like to part with it I can paypal you for s&h and some bucks if you’re looking for that? Email me: av north side (all one word) AT the domain for people that use google’s email service.[/quote]

email sent…[/quote]

just wanted to make sure you got the thermostat…

I’m interested in buying your trane thermostat if it’s available.

I did get the Trane and it’s working wonderfully. . .I’d actually pick up another one for my sunroom if anyone else is looking to part.

A for/sale, or “looking to buy” section on here would actually be pretty useful I’d guess.

Back to topic - There’s a python script out there that can control it and read from it perfectly.

I tried it out and I can read the current temp as well as set one. Someone could translate this into a Vera plugin.

[quote=“djrobx, post:25, topic:171456”]Back to topic - There’s a python script out there that can control it and read from it perfectly.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=smbaker%20pynest&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fsmbaker%2Fpynest&ei=zYg5UMbLMsjjmAW-nYCIBg&usg=AFQjCNGyzfnBFtrRZZD8E7UaP_yt27NSVA

I tried it out and I can read the current temp as well as set one. Someone could translate this into a Vera plugin.[/quote]

That would be great, that Nest is pretty nifty. I bet a lot of peeps would pick it up if they could z-wave into it.

Wow, I wish I was better with LUA code. I hope somebody writes a nice plug-in. Nest has some Open Source info on their site? Page not found | Nest

They may be using open source code, but their api is private. Until they release something to the public, you have to rely on reverse engineering.

• Garrett

With people already reverse engineering the closed api of the Nest thermostat. It is possible for someone to create a plugin for Vera. This has me tempted to work on a plugin, but I do not have a Nest thermostat and not sure I want to spend the 250 dollars to tackle this project. If someone can convince me that the Nest thermostat is better than the Trane z-wave thermostat, I may go out and pick one up.

• Garrett

I am not familiar with the Trane thermostat, but I bought Nest prior to jumping into Z Wave. The Nest thermostat has a proximity sensor, humdistat and looks great on the wall. The one problem is the damn thing doesn’t communicate with Vera.

Hopefully a plug-in writer will jump in here and save the day. I still have a lot to learn about programming, so I think I am a way off from tackling this :frowning: .

[quote=“garrettwp, post:29, topic:171456”]With people already reverse engineering the closed api of the Nest thermostat. It is possible for someone to create a plugin for Vera. This has me tempted to work on a plugin, but I do not have a Nest thermostat and not sure I want to spend the 250 dollars to tackle this project. If someone can convince me that the Nest thermostat is better than the Trane z-wave thermostat, I may go out and pick one up.

• Garrett[/quote]

/forceon Garrett… this is the thermostat you are looking for… /forceoff

I want a reason to buy one as well so if there was a plug-in…

They’re awesome T-Stats, but if you’ve got a Trane and have it tuned up (schedule, vacation-mode automation etc) then there’s negligible financial reason to make the cutover to a Nest.

I have two Nests. They look and operate a lot nicer than the Trane’s, and they’re a lot easier to config… People who haven’t transitioned to HA, or tuned their existing systems, will get a ton of gain from having these because they’re incredibly simple to use.

In the beginning I missed the centralized control I had over my TStats with SQRemote, but now I don’t really miss it at all… I just fire up their app when I need to (which is rare).

NOTE: Their EUL specifically excludes the use of [undocumented] API’s, presumably to protect their systems from rogue software, so use care with the hacks if you want to fly under the radar…

Looking at what others are using for the api, they are pretty much logging into the web interface and interacting with it. But to spend the 250 dollars for something that is already functional would be somewhat of a waste. I can take that 250 and spend it on a few other goodies.

• Garrett

I am very interested in getting a Nest plugin working. Could anyone give me some pointers for how I could port the python code linked above to luup?

If you’re going to do it, it would pay to start by just getting the communications layer working, using pure Lua code (no Luup).

You can make this into a Library (.lua file) that then gets included (require “nest.lua”) into the counterpart Luup-based device files when you’re ready.

It’ll also be quicker to write-test-repeat this way, since you can just use a standard command line Lua interpreter on the platform of your choice (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc, etc)

The Lua programming manual is well documented at lua.org and loads of examples at lua-users.org. When you’re ready to integrate you can learn many of the luup constructs from the code over at code.mios.com (in particular, the thermostat plugins)

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply.
I will see if I can figure it out.

When you figure it out, hook us all up :slight_smile: . If you need me to test anything, I am willing.

Willing to test as well as pay for a working plug in for Nest.

-Sean

It will be very cool to integrate the Nest.

The only issue is that is require a cable from Nest to the Valve. With the Trane this is not an issue as the communication is zwave.

Matteo

Why is a cable needed when the Nest communicates via wifi? The problem seems to be the API, yet I thought I found some guy on the web had figured it out? O guess I need to do more digging.