Nest Learning Thermostat on sale at Lowe's

I just got my 2nd Gen, so I too am willing to test. How about support for schedules?

I would love to be notified when the Nest proximity sensor is tripped. It is a nice room motion detector in my case.

There is no access to the motion sensor output through the unofficial interface I’m using, but if that ever changes, the device could then be modified to implement the UPnP motion sensor service as well as ZoneThermostat.

Likewise no access to set schedules, or rather, I don’t have the knowledge of how schedules are set in their interface. But no reason to rule features out if it’s later learned how they can be implemented.

+1

willing to help in any way possible, was holding off on a thermostat purchase for this

Should have a beta available in the next few days!

Oooh I like where this is going :slight_smile:

Nice! Im very interested is getting one of these for my house and using it with Vera!

Watou… nice graphics too! You’ve been hard at work :slight_smile: .

Thanks! Yes, I’ve been busy! I really want to get it right – “no fuss, just works” sort of thing. Still a few details to iron out, though.

I am also interested in a Nest plug in and will test!

I’d be happy to test as well.

I submitted a plugin for approval to apps.mios.com this morning. Then I made two fixes and submitted another one. :slight_smile: Please give me your feedback once it becomes visible, and thank you! Here is the README: [url=http://cocu.la/vera/nest/README.html]http://cocu.la/vera/nest/README.html[/url]

Nest plugin is showing up in the App Store. Yay!

I am still pretty new to the Nest (only had mine for about 2 weeks), but the plugin seems to be working fine. I can increase, decrease the temperature, cycle the fan to Auto or On, the correct temperature appears in the GUI, and it displays the Humidity properly.

I have been following your progress on this plugin, so I apologize if you previously addressed these comments:

-Is there a way to change the Nest Icon on the Thermostat device depending on the current state? Change the nest icon to red when it is currently heating, blue when it is cooling. Similar to how the actual thermostat appears.

-Currently (at least on my system) there are 4 separate devices that appear associated with the Nest. Thermostat, Humidity, Away/Home, Main device. Is there a way to incorporate the settings from the main device (username, password, polling) into the Thermostat settings? It might be less busy if you could do that.

-The Nest is not found in the HomeWave iOS app. Probably not your issue, but just wanted to point that out.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback. Great work on this!

My first user! Awwww. :slight_smile: Thanks for the feedback. Here are some answers to your questions:

• I would really like to be able to change the icon for the thermostat based on the ModeState of the device – Orange when Heating, Blue when Cooling, etc. But the UI gives me the choice to either show the current temp in large numbers above the icon, or it lets me change the icon. Not both. So I made the decision to show the temp instead of fiddle the icon (even though I had made pretty little icons for the other ModeStates). If there is some magic to get both a changing icon and the current temperature, I will change it, but I don’t think it’s currently possible.

• The reason that there are three separate devices is that one is the overseeing controller of your connection to nest.com, but then you may have multiple locations associated with your account, and up to ten (!) thermostats within each location. For each thermostat, there is a humidity sensor, so it made sense to present it as a separate humidistat device. The username, password and polling are really attributes of the connection to nest.com, not to any of the potentially multiple child devices it manages.

• I haven’t used the HomeWave iOS app. I will put it on the todo list to install it on my old iPod touch and see what I see. I did, however, see the devices working properly with garrettwp’s AutHomation app on Android. Since the Location (e.g., “Home”) device implements SwitchPower, it shows a light bulb icon, but when you turn it off, it’s like choosing Away from the thermostat.

Thanks for installing the plugin and for the feedback! I’m looking to improve the plugin based on feedback so many thanks!

watou

Also, the README for the plugin is now at [url=http://cocu.la/vera/nest/README.md]http://cocu.la/vera/nest/README.md[/url] .

Nice looking plugin!

Just installed the app and fired it up! Will comment more after I have some time to “play”…

I purchased the HomeWave iOS app this morning and it’s slick! I verified that the thermostat device does not appear in it. I just communicated with the author of the app and I think he will make a change in the next version to add support for the Nest thermostat device.

• watou

[quote=“watou, post:78, topic:171456”]I purchased the HomeWave iOS app this morning and it’s slick! I verified that the thermostat device does not appear in it. I just communicated with the author of the app and I think he will make a change in the next version to add support for the Nest thermostat device.

• watou[/quote]

Excellent. Thanks for the follow up. I totally agree that the HomeWave app is slick.

BTW…The Nest device(s) do appear in the Automator App.

For the few Nest users who operate in Celsius, the next beta will have fixed Celsius degrees: rounded off to a whole degree, just like Fahrenheit currently works. :cry: